• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sword Coast Legends Community Packet 3 Delayed and Bundled

Reinhart

First Post
Today N-Space announced that Community Packet 3 is going to be released as part of the Rage of Demons downloadable content.
https://swordcoast.com/content/scl-news-update-cp3-and-rage-demons

So not only will you have to wait longer for the features they promised, you may have to spend additional money on them as well. Many fans in their forums are understandably disappointed and frustrated after N-Space remained silent about the progress of CP3 until today. In their defense, N-Space also blames WotC and Digital Extremes for the silence and decision on this matter.

Unfortunately, there is still no word as to when Rage of Demons is actually going to be out.

Reinhart

First Post
Looks like rod is free for a lot of folks.

Yes, for those of you who pre-ordered and had to wait through the delayed release, or those of you who paid to attend the Gen Con WotC events. Hard to say how what proportion of those people make up the current user-base. I'm also not sure how many of those Mea Culpa coupons will actually cut into the DLC sales.

It's probably a high percentage of the player base. The number of owners hasn't increased *that* much since launch.
Still annoying since so many people in the community were saying that CP3 would help "save" the game, by making it much better for new players and generally improving the game. But if it's paid DLC, most new players might skip it. It's a pretty dumb move.

I imagine they're hoping to recoup development costs for the pack and increase sales/interest in SCL. Which suggests they're in the red. Not a good sign for the future of the game.

Reinhart

First Post
Good news to SLC owners:

https://forums.swordcoast.com/index...eatures-are-locked-behind-a-dlc-cost/?p=99212

Apparently they're making RoD free for everyone who ever buys SCL. I think WotC and Digital Extremes probably have this written off as a loss but don't want to poison their remaining good will by cutting their losses prematurely. Obviously time spent working on CP3 translate to wages not spent on Rage of Demons, and also a delay in the complete of the DLC. I wonder if the decision to bundle the CP into the DLC was due to budget constraints though. Often the game and its expansions have somewhat segregated funding. That means if they ran out of payroll for CP3 the only way to complete it would be to either wait for more revenue or use some of the DLC budget. And basic corporate accounting dictates that if it comes from the DLC budget it must be part of the DLC.

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
I'm boggled they can still afford new development. Where is the money coming from? I sure hope it isn't WotC paying for it.

Reinhart

First Post
I'm boggled they can still afford new development. Where is the money coming from? I sure hope it isn't WotC paying for it.

It's more likely that WotC has them contractually obligated to put out a Rage of Demons tie-in, and Digital Extremes already paid WotC and budgeted for N-Space to work on it anyway. At this point, if they don't deliver it may mean more grief than just the money they lose on completing the project.

Remove ads