• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

SWORD COAST LEGENDS Trailer

I don't know if this is a new trailer for Sword Coast Legends, but it's new to me. "Discover the Forgotten Realms with an immersive single-player campaign and the innovative Dungeon Master Mode, which lets you run adventures in real-time for up to four friends."

I don't know if this is a new trailer for Sword Coast Legends, but it's new to me. "Discover the Forgotten Realms with an immersive single-player campaign and the innovative Dungeon Master Mode, which lets you run adventures in real-time for up to four friends."

[fb]10153590369016071[/fb]

JNC

First Post
Define 'good multiplayer game. I had tons of fun when I was a child playing chess on PC and a chess-like game called Archon on the Nes;It was 2-player.

Simple games are totally compatible with digital gaming. It would clean the drudgery and you could actually run more advanced calculations-modifiers/saves and on. Faster than the it-takes-hours mess the table top experience currently is.

It's the oversimplification of games that's killing gaming, for me anyway. Nobody wants to put the money into long-term developement. This statement is an oversimplifaction in itself, but hordes/warmachine/malifaux would be a fun/workable games to play online.

Making clones of games makes me sad. Too many good game concepts being neglected.

-----Edit
Thinking it over, while making a digital copy of D&D, that would truly be faithful to the tabletop, is something no-one would want to handle, 4th edition's core mechanics would hold up fairly well. 4th would be a great place to start, it was more complicated than most people wanted, but allowed for tactical encounters; with hazzards, traps, and terrain being the swing point. So an electronic version would allow for people who like to tinker continually tinking on and off, while saving everything they've done in a convienent manner.

Releasing a D&D game like an open source Bethesda game. Having easy access to level design, monster/boss overhaul, and building tools like a Gary's mod or Miku Miku Dance. The main desingers could release DLC with new monsters, effects and attacks, while Players could tweak their own designs.

One day, the electronic RPG will actually be an RPG, we just need somebody to start it.
Honestly, Sony and Microsoft are the only 2 producers who have the spirit to do it. Dark Souls and various other games would have never existed without console cooperation.

There would be less room for interpitation but that's what paper and pencil is for.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
It looks like it's based on the 5e rules to me. I see many elements in the game. It's just not a 100% recreation. Based on doesn't mean re-printed, it just means that it is based on it. The 5e rules would not make a good multi-player game.

I think it would have been better than to go 100 percent with the rules and make it a single player game then. Very few multiplayer games present a good single player story campaign. That way you introduce a potential 5e player via an actual 5e computer game with the exact same rules ( or 90 percent similar).

If the goal is to grow the 5e brand, then you really want to Grow the actual game you are trying to sell and get people interested in, not one that has your name , has the same setting you are using but has most of the mechanics of the game stripped out to better appeal to a Video Game audience.. supposedly (Maybe that audience is actually smarter than you think and wouldnt mind trying said game with 100 percent of 5es mechanics).

Chimpy

First Post
I think it would have been better than to go 100 percent with the rules and make it a single player game then. Very few multiplayer games present a good single player story campaign. That way you introduce a potential 5e player via an actual 5e computer game with the exact same rules ( or 90 percent similar).

If the goal is to grow the 5e brand, then you really want to Grow the actual game you are trying to sell and get people interested in, not one that has your name , has the same setting you are using but has most of the mechanics of the game stripped out to better appeal to a Video Game audience.. supposedly (Maybe that audience is actually smarter than you think and wouldnt mind trying said game with 100 percent of 5es mechanics).
Most video game players I know want a fun, slick multiplayer experience and don't really care if the under the hood mechanics aren't the same as the pen and paper game. I think the feeling and impression is much more important than the specific details. I don't think the people using this message boards are representative of most players of this type of title.

For people that want a hardcore, rules exact single player computer game, there are titles like Pillars of Eternity.

Gnashtooth

First Post
Dargrimm is correct. I pointed out that the game clearly wasn't based on D&D rules when the advertisements started back in the Spring. It annoyed me that the various news sites kept repeating the press-release packet claims of "first-of-its-kind" and "based on the 5th edition ruleset" without actually just comparing it with the available ruleset and D&D video game predecessors. All you had to do was pay attention to the action and gui from the screenshots and videos to see it wasn't actually going to be D&D.

And if you know anything about game development cycles, this game would have to have been in production for long before the 5e rules were released. However according to an account I remember reading from Mike Mearls, WotC wasn't even aware of the game until they met the developers at GDC 2014. I suspect that Sword Coast Legends started as just an independent action RPG that distinguished itself by adding a real-time Dungeon Master Mode. Only once they had a working engine and prototype did they negotiate a licensing agreement and begin rebranding the game as D&D late last year.

None of this is bad so long as you're not brought here by the promise of having a game based on campaign building with table-top RPG style rules. I was hoping for the spiritual successor to Neverwinter Nights, and instead I saw something closer to Dragon Age, but with some cute multiplayer options. That's what disappointed me, but if I'd been given a more accurate description I think I would have liked it more. That's why I've been trying to get others to have more realistic expectations for their own sakes.

Yeah, I did find it really peculiar that this game literally came out of nowhere. What you're saying makes a lot of sense.

The problem is that even on its own merit, it does everything extremely poorly. The game itself isn't much fun if you've played any MMO, Diablo, Baldur's Gate, NWN, or the old 2D Fallout. It has elements of all these things, but they don't mesh well and the game is riddled with balance issues. Pause play feels really tacked on, along with all the rest of the D&D features, and the inane screen scrolling is terrible - you have to move with the WASD keys, but the screen will also scroll arbitrarily with the party? It doesn't always, but when it does, it seems to be right after you start a module, and seems to stop working shortly after. Then there are the features nobody asked for, like random dungeon generation in which you can't even delete objects.

At this point I'm just hoping WotC learns their lesson.

File under: Junk that managed to get a D&D license (This file is in a large cabinet, in a disused basement lavatory, with a sign on it saying "beware of the apathy").

Reinhart

First Post
Right, let's also not forget that "Arena of War" was also a licensed D&D game "based on" the 5e/Next rules.

Claiming that these games are recreations of the D&D experience is like saying that Angry Birds Star Wars is a faithful retelling of the original trilogy.

[video=youtube;Z_ie5vwV-RI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_ie5vwV-RI[/video]

CapnZapp

Legend
Most video game players I know want a fun, slick multiplayer experience and don't really care if the under the hood mechanics aren't the same as the pen and paper game. I think the feeling and impression is much more important than the specific details. I don't think the people using this message boards are representative of most players of this type of title.

For people that want a hardcore, rules exact single player computer game, there are titles like Pillars of Eternity.
Except that doesn't use D&D either.

What people were led to believe was a "hard-core" (whatever that means) rules-exact multi-player computer game with DM creation tool support - because that is the reasonable interpretation of "based on".

Last edited by a moderator:

Quickleaf

Legend
I have no doubt that there will be a fun single-player campaign for this game.

It is mind-boggling to me that there are still so many unanswered questions about DM Mode and the game releases in just 2 days.

Will branching dialogue be an option for DM Mode?
How will sharing adventures work?
When will tile-by-tile mapping be made available for DM Mode?
Can the DM tools accommodate a non-dungeon crawl adventure? And if so, can we see a video example that's not a dungeon crawl?

The list goes on. There's a small group of us who've been asking these questions persistently with no answers in sight, besides "yes, we're listening to you."

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Weird. Plenty of people have the game with the head start. Have none of those spoken about the DM mode?

I have it but I haven't tried the DM stuff yet except for making a blue bear in an outdoor campsite and adding random trees, fences, and a tent, and making it snow.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads