• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sword Coast Legends vs. Divinity Original Sin.

Dire Bare

Legend
I'm currently hesitant of SCL, the ideas are great, it looks good, but I'll wait for a few good reviews before forking over $60/$150 (no way to upgrade the standard edition and a DM needs his beholder;-)

How do you know there is no way to upgrade from the standard edition? There isn't one at the moment, but the game hasn't been released yet. It looks very much to me that there will be mictrotransactions for this game, so if you only sprung for the standard edition at start, you should be able to purchase new monsters, new map/tile sets, etc. Going for the deluxe edition right away gets you some extra features right out of the gate, and probably would save you money compared to purchasing the "upgrades" individually later on down the road. Or at least, that's my feeling from looking over their website.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
How do you know there is no way to upgrade from the standard edition? There isn't one at the moment, but the game hasn't been released yet.

I've looked at Steam, there's no upgrade available there, for other preorder games I've seen this, so it might be possible at a later date, but right now it isn't...

So preordering a game at €35 to later possibly buy the DD edition at €60 is not attractive to me. I don't like preordering because you don't know what the state will be of the game your getting. Is it buggy like the Nine Hells? Isn't the game as good as promised/hoped for? I'm not even preordering Blizzard games anymore... A KS at €24/game is kinda acceptable in some instances (for me). This isn't. I'm waiting for a couple of good reviews...

Divinity is turn based, and SCL is every bit an action rpg. I imagine their gameplay will be radically different. I suppose if you want a crpg with the D&D logo, you might prefer SCL. However, as far as 5e D&D, SCL isn't even close, check out the character creation. Most skills and sub-classes are missing, if any are genuinely available at all. Backgrounds have been reduced to stat boosts and sometimes one use spell scrolls. The spell casting system has been gutted, with no concentration mechanic and spell slots being reduced to cooldowns, and spell choice is determined by distributing points in spell trees. I did expect many changes in the rules, but I didn't expect that only the names of spells and abilities carry over from pnp to crpg. As far as modding, the DM client seems rather limited really, but useful if you're interested in a quick dungeon crawl.

Divinity is still pretty fun overall, the system is simple, but fun and tactical. I enjoyed how spells interact with the environment and each other. I'm not sure how long the novelty of this will last though. It's also surprising how much freedom you've got in completing quests in a variety of ways. The game goes to great pains to respond to what choices you make. The only thing I dislike about it so far is the colorful cutesy graphics its got, I could do without those.

Dave_irwin

First Post
I am really looking forward to playing D:OS when it comes out on Xbox, wanted to play it on PC but the thing crapped out on me & they are funding a second KS. I am looking at SCL to help build up dungeons for my "in person" campaigns since I cast maps to a larger screen for my players to view. The only issue is that it doesn't allow the players to view monster movement, not that I want my current 5E game to go all 4E but it is still helpful for the players to know where monsters are. I am hoping SCL will solve this issue.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads