• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Sword Coast Sandbox

We got the Daggerford area in the playtest (Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle, Scourge of the Sword Coast, Dead in Thay) and the Phandalin region in LMoP, and now it seems we're getting the Dessarin Valley in PotA, which is more of less right between the two. So I've decided to throw some notes on Blogger disconnecting these adventure locations from plots and stories so they can be used to run more of a sandbox-style campaign (more of a playground, really, as described in my first post).

It's actually a ton of adventure and campaign content that should be pretty easy to pull together. I figure I'll do posts with campaign notes on the individual adventure locations, then run it on Roll20 and supplement the blog with session reports and after-action reviews.

If it interests you, I'd love to have your input. I hope it's something that can turn into a useful resource for time-strapped but sandbox-inclined DMs.

http://swordcoastsandbox.blogspot.com/

Thanks guys, and thanks Matrix for the link. Those sandbox posts look way cool. I basically know squat about the Realms outside the published adventures I'm pulling from, so this should be nicely complementary.

Last edited:

travathian

First Post
The dude who posted that blog references tons and tons of old adventures, boxed sets, source books, and pretty much anything ever published. Very well researched.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
That's because this dude bought everything on PDF when it first came out and that makes searching for info really easy. :)

Anyway, great to see another blogger sandboxing this area. I'm going to be doing the same thing once I have Princes in my hot little hands.

There really is a ton of material to pull from, though you're dipping far deeper into the well than I plan to (Caverns of Thracia!). I basically just want to "de-plot," organize and connect adventures and adventure locations that are otherwise ready to run "out of the box" with a minimum of conversion and preparation. I suspect I'll be linking to your site often to add depth and context to my humble efforts. ;)

Remove ads