• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Swordmage booming blade "moves away"

Reaper Steve

Explorer
I don't have the file in front of me, so I may not get the details totally correct, but here's my question:

Booming Blade causes extra damage if the target 'moves away.' Does shifting count as moving away?

The basic rules are that shifting is different than moving. But if one can just shift away, what's the point?

Reaper Steve

Explorer
Oh, got it.
All shifting does is not provoke OAs.
Shifting is still movement, so a shifting target will get boomed.

That was totally Busch league of me.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
So does it trigger if you teleport away?
:devil:

I know that kind of thing is the subject of some debate, but has cust serv said anything consistent about when teleportation counts as movement?

DracoSuave

First Post
So does it trigger if you teleport away?
:devil:

I know that kind of thing is the subject of some debate, but has cust serv said anything consistent about when teleportation counts as movement?

Teleportation is a form of Tactical Movement.

Teleportation is a ability that "allows you to move instantaneously from one point to another".

It specifically denies opportunity actions, and can be done if immobilized, but neither of those exceptions apply in this case.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
The basic rules are that shifting is different than moving.

Shifting is moving. Shifting is different from walking.

The first point under the Shift entry is "Movement: Move one square".

Something 4E did was remove the confusion between "a move action" and "the move action" by changing it to "a move action" and "the walk action".

-Hyp.

DracoSuave

First Post
To add to the questions, what happens if you use Booming Blade as an OA (via Heavy Blade Opportunity)?

I -like- the way you think.

Opponent moves away.
Opportunity action is triggered, and it interrupts.
Successful hit, damage is dealt
Opponent finishes triggering movement
Movement away triggers extra damage component.

icarusfallz

First Post
I -like- the way you think.

I Agree. This is one of those nifty power synergies that act like traps. So nice. Similar to Rain of Steel + ANY power that forces an enemy to move and end adjacent to you. Add this to a Marked character, and they stay (and take damage), or move (and take an OA). There are other nifty combos in here, if you dig for them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads