• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Swordmage Feats

Xris Robin

First Post
You know, as much as I like the class, it seems kinda awkward at times. I'm wondering if that was on purpose.

For instance, they can't easily learn weapon-based feats. Most of these require Dex (light blade), Dex and Str (heavy blade), Str and Con (blunt and axes), etc.

A Swordmage's main stat is Int, with a secondary of either Str or Con. Dex is a dump stat, since you use Int, and typically you won't have Str AND Con, since then you wouldn't be boosting Int.

Now, for most melee classes, it seems like this is because Int is the dump stat, letting you pump Str and Dex (or Con and Dex), and take weapon feats. Switching from Dex to Int messes this up.

So, what stats should a swordmage be using, and what feats should he be taking?

Klaus

First Post
You know, as much as I like the class, it seems kinda awkward at times. I'm wondering if that was on purpose.

For instance, they can't easily learn weapon-based feats. Most of these require Dex (light blade), Dex and Str (heavy blade), Str and Con (blunt and axes), etc.

A Swordmage's main stat is Int, with a secondary of either Str or Con. Dex is a dump stat, since you use Int, and typically you won't have Str AND Con, since then you wouldn't be boosting Int.

Now, for most melee classes, it seems like this is because Int is the dump stat, letting you pump Str and Dex (or Con and Dex), and take weapon feats. Switching from Dex to Int messes this up.

I'm going with Intelligent Blademaster (which negates the need for Strength), Raging Storm (my Dex is just enough to qualify) and from there maybe multiclass Wizard. And since I'm a dragonborn, I'll also look into the Dragonorn racial feats.

Obryn

Hero

My suggestion?

If you want those feats, don't dump Dexterity. :)

Looking through the book, many of the feats are there to reward people who didn't completely optimize their characters.

-O

Xris Robin

First Post
Many of those feats are for say, the fighter, who dumps Int instead of Dex. It doesn't come up.

The swordmage suffers from the problem that he's a wizard who carries a sword. You naturally want to take feats to help you use a sword better, but that doesn't work very well. A swordmage's most important stat is the other two defenders' dump stat.

Mirtek

Hero
Well, the +2 to OA feat is not that great, I wouldn't take it even for a heavy blade fighter. OAs just happen to rarely (remember: Combat Challenge != OA).

The use at-will for an OA feat also suffers from the rarity of OAs.

Lastly it's only the mastery feat which is nice to have, however I don't think this is enough to justify investing so much into Dex.

If you really want to crit on 19-20, just get a jagged weapon from AV

Cadfan

First Post
I think its ok.

A swordmage who pumps Int and Str, and doesn't dump Dex, can handle the heavy blade feats just fine.

I think its ok to reward third priority stats, rather than making every class focus on just two.

Xris Robin

First Post
So, Assault Swordmages. Because they're the only ones who'll be pumping Str.

Shielding Swordmages likely won't have higher than 13 Str.

Klaus

First Post
So, Assault Swordmages. Because they're the only ones who'll be pumping Str.

Shielding Swordmages likely won't have higher than 13 Str.
I'm playing an Assault swordmage, and my Str is 13. Really, Intelligent Blademaster removes nearly all need for Str for a swordmage.

Cadfan

First Post
Not necessarily.

First, while you can live with a low strength on an assault swordmage, there are a lot of powers which grant you benefits based on your strength modifier. So it might not be a good idea to leave it low.

Second, if you have a 13 starting dexterity, and you never put points into dex at all other than the free ones you get at levels 11 and 21, you will max out with a 15 dex. This will get you all the heavy blade feats up to the paragon tier. Assuming you've been pumping strength in the meantime, you will be fine on that score.

I mean, come on. You have to pump something other than Int. You get the points, you have to spend them somewhere.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads