• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Swordmage stats...

bfreakb999

First Post
I have a friends that ending his campaign in Ravenloft 3.5. In that game he played a sorcerer that had learned proficiency with weapons so that he would be able to use the Sunsword. (i also bent a few rules)

Now that group will be coming back for 4.0 he chose to be a swordmage instead of a Wizard. (doesnt the wizard of the spiral tower also use longswords? even if just implements? ) As it stands from 3.5 we have a Fighter, Rogue, Ranger, and a cleric. I know the controller isn't necessary, but i see it being extremely helpful. He seems very drawn to a Swordmaster, but i really don't like them. I'm not sure why. Are they good classes balance wise? Are they lacking at all in comparison to the other defenders?

There is also another issue.

The Sorcerer was based on CHA in 3.5 He is willing to let his stats suffer for the sake of it being the same character. I made a point to tell everyone that their stats did not have be exactly like they were in 3.5 and that the roleplay elements were based on them, not by just their stats. His character is outgoing, and sometimes obnoxious..... yet also charming at times. His sorcerer had an 18 CHA, and when he made a swordmage he made it so that at level 12 he would also have an 18 CHA. In my opinion its wasted stats in a superflous ability score, but i suppose thats really not for me to say is it? I just wanted your opinion on his build.

Keep in mind he is level 12.

Half-Elf Swordmage

STR - 13
CON - 18
DEX - 12
INT - 19
WIS - 9
CHA - 18

Defenses

AC - 25
FORT - 20
REF- 23
WILL - 22

he has the following feats.

Group Sinsight
Inteligent Blademaster
Human Perseverance
Action Surge
Defensive Mobility
Improved Initiative
Double Aegis

He has others... but i think those are the only ones that are trutly significant.

paragon Path

Coronal Guard

It's not that i think his idea is horrible, i just dont see it as good as the other characters necessarily. Honestly he is a bit of a complainer. If i make him change his stats to be more centered around his class he will complain. If he is less effective in the game he will do nothing but complain about how he should be more balanced and brought more up to par with the other characters.

Sorry if this is way too long to read btw...

Khuxan

First Post
He has a respectable Intelligence and Constitution as well. I don't see a problem with him choosing a stat that isn't one of his class stats - in fact, it shows a commitment to playing a character instead of playing a combat role. To ensure he shines both in and out of combat, place some skill checks and challenges where Charisma is important - that way, he will be rewarded for investing in a stat not necessary for his class.

DracoSuave

First Post
Yeah this is a pretty decent statblock for a Shielding Swordmage.

Even tho he's one point down on his attacks, he's still not at the sub-par stage at all. The higher charisma will help him when the party's not beating things.

Only suggestion I'd make is for him to pick up Weapon Focus: _____ Blade. At this point he could use the damage boost.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads