• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Swordmage Tips

Xris Robin

First Post
I'm looking for any help anyone can give about playing a Swordmage. I was thinking of playing a Stormsoul Genasi, with Aegis of Assault. I know it only goes up to level 3, but I don't think I can hit that before the book comes out, so I should be fine.

Any ideas for say, feats to take? Or maybe better race ideas, or even a stat distribution. Or maybe just tips about playing one in general. I realize nobody else has likely played one much either, but some people seem better at thinking these things out than me.

DracoSuave

First Post
I'm looking for any help anyone can give about playing a Swordmage. I was thinking of playing a Stormsoul Genasi, with Aegis of Assault. I know it only goes up to level 3, but I don't think I can hit that before the book comes out, so I should be fine.

Any ideas for say, feats to take? Or maybe better race ideas, or even a stat distribution. Or maybe just tips about playing one in general. I realize nobody else has likely played one much either, but some people seem better at thinking these things out than me.

I'm playing an Earthsoul Genesi Assault Genesi in an RPGA event tomorrow.

Str 15, Con 13, Dex 15, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 8
WP: Bastard Sword
28 hp
Greenflame Blade (SM W 1), Booming Blade (SM W 1); Flame Cylclone (SM E 1), Earthshock (Racial); Burning Blade (SM D 1)
Region: Algarond (Language Elven and +2 Perception)
Arcana, Athletics, Insight, Perception

I took Earthsoul because +1 to Saving Throws is mighty, and knocking enemies prone as a minor action is also awesome. I'm tempted to trade in WP: Bastard Sword for the Rogue Multiclass, cause Prone + Sneak Attack = Good.

Xris Robin

First Post
Not bad.
-----
Str 16, Con 13, Dex 13, Int 18, Wis 12, Cha 8

Promise of Storm (Racial Encounter)
Booming Blade (At-Will)
Sword Burst (At-Will)
Flame Cyclone (Encounter)
Frost Backlash (Daily)

Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword)
-----
I hoping for a lot more Thunder/Lightning keyword powers in the higher levels, especially since we get like 2 at-wills that have them. (And somewhere there's a level 3 or 5 power with one, I think.)

I want to pick up feats like Raging Storm, Lightning Arc, Solid Sound, and Resounding Thunder. Combined with Promise of Storm, it seems to have potential. (And I suppose I can always multi into Wizard if I have to.

Aracane Reach looks nice too. Can we say, Sword Burst from a distance?

Mirtek

Hero
I hoping for a lot more Thunder/Lightning keyword powers in the higher levels, especially since we get like 2 at-wills that have them. (And somewhere there's a level 3 or 5 power with one, I think.)
Don't worry, just use a lightning bastard sword as implement and it passes down it's lightning keyword to any power you use in additions of the powers own keyword

Tellerve

I'm playing a stormsoul genasi swordmage as well. Although I've only played one session with him, I did a lot of thinking about him so I think he's pretty good. In play he worked out well and I'm playing the next session in about a week so hopefully things will continue to go well for him.

Stats are;

str 17
con 13
dex 13
int 17
wis 12
cha 8

I went with Arcane Initiate feat and took Thunderwave, for both role-playing as well as I felt it fit mechanically well with the character. Also went aegis of assault.

at-wills: booming blade, sword burst
encounter: flame cyclone, thunderwave, promise of storm
daily: frost backlash

Tellerve

Tellerve

I'm playing an Earthsoul Genesi Assault Genesi in an RPGA event tomorrow.

Str 15, Con 13, Dex 15, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 8
WP: Bastard Sword
28 hp
Greenflame Blade (SM W 1), Booming Blade (SM W 1); Flame Cylclone (SM E 1), Earthshock (Racial); Burning Blade (SM D 1)
Region: Algarond (Language Elven and +2 Perception)
Arcana, Athletics, Insight, Perception

I took Earthsoul because +1 to Saving Throws is mighty, and knocking enemies prone as a minor action is also awesome. I'm tempted to trade in WP: Bastard Sword for the Rogue Multiclass, cause Prone + Sneak Attack = Good.

Are you saying Perception is one of your trained skills? How'd you manage that when it isn't on the list?

Tellerve

Tellerve

Living Forgotten Realms region of Aglarond - allows you to choose Perception as one of your class skills.

Ahhhh, I see says the blind man. Well that's a pretty nifty little power-ruskie right there. Sadly we aren't going by those rules in the campaign I'm playing in as I'd love to have picked up Perception. I also lamented the lack thereof for being able to make the sharp eyed warrior able to spot the ambush. But that's what skill training is for I guess.

Tellerve

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads