• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Swordmage/Wizard (Summoner) - Doable?

Markn

First Post
I really like the Wizard article that just came out allowing the wizard to summon vrocks, mariliths, dretchs, etc. However, I don't want to play a wizard and was thinking of playing a Swordmage in our next campaign.

Is a Swordmage/Wizard (summoner) combination doable? I was thinking of going the Paragon Multiclass route using a longsword and a tome (of summoning) (via arcane proficiency) and eventually taking dual implement wielder. The other thing that would be kind of neat is to get access to Magic Missile and Wizards Fury.

I'm interested in feedback and sample builds if anyone wants to assist!

Thanks in advance!

I once tried to do an eladrin swordmage who multiclassed to wizard, and had the Eladrin Sword Wizardry feat (or whatever it's called) so I could use a longsword as a wand. Never tried the tome thing.

spayne

First Post
A hybrid Swordmage|Wizard would work better. Both classes do not lose much from hybriding and you would be able to take a paragon path. Take the Hybrid Talent feat to gain Swordmage Warding. You can have your pick of whatever powers you want from both classes, and use the implements of both classes for all of your implement powers.

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all of the summons dailies, and can't one only get a maximum of one daily from the multiclass, and only at the end of a very long feat string?

So, yeah, hybrid would be the way to go, but even there you would only be summoning twice a day.

Prism

Explorer
So, yeah, hybrid would be the way to go, but even there you would only be summoning twice a day.

I agree to about going Hybrid for this. Even a straight wizard only gets 3 summons a day though, so 2 isn't too bad. The bonded summoner PP gives you one more

Turtlejay

First Post
Regular MC (2 feats) - 1 Daily
Paragon MC (4 feats and a PP) - 2 Dailies
Hybrid - 3 Dailies

Since the Hybrid requirement has been relaxed, from 50/50 to just at least one power from each half, a Hybrid Wizard/Swordmage could actually have 3 Wizard Dailies if they Hybrid PP, or 2 Dailies with a PP. Depends entirely on what you want out of your character, though.

Not a bad combo.

Jay

Benlo

First Post
I hear a lot of good things about Swordmage/Wizard compared to many hybrids. I'd love to see a build if someone made one along these lines.

Markn

First Post
I keep thinking that a melee character with the ability to summon creatures (and make use of their intrinsic nature) would be pretty cool. Plus, imagine a swordmage with access to Blur, Stoneskin and other utilities from the Wizard class. Sounds pretty good to me!

Remove ads