• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

SWRPG - Revised vs. Original d20 version

Khorod

First Post
How did the Original work? As someone who dabbled with the noble for flavor reasons the Revised form was virtually irrelevant to the character. He wasn't much for idle chit-chat, like providing encouragement to others while trying to keep his skin intact.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
IIRC the nobles inspiring speech worked something like this:

"For every minute of inspirational speech, the PCs get the bonus for 10 minutes"

I'm going from a 2 year old memory here, but it was something like that - it allowed for a quick pep-talk before missions to get everyone gee-ed up for it.

Cheers

Henry

Autoexreginated
Call me a fan of the Revised Edition. Funnily, I never noticed the Inspiring Speech ability; but then, we almost never used nobles, and the one Noble player used their Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate more than anything.

What I like about it:

The revisions to the Force feats and skills, and additional force feats
The revisions to Defense bonuses (for the Soldier among others)
The new ship rules
The AoO's, making Jedi holy terrors in melee

All in all, I consider it a better edition myself.

Dominic

First Post
If anyone in your group is going to play Jedi, the RCRB is much better. There are also some collected feats and skills from previous source books added.

The Jedi deflect and deflect attack rules are very good.

Also, check out the errata on the WotC site, and the RPGA Living Force Hero Creation Guide for some good rules fixes.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Here's the original Inspire Confidence.

Star Wars Original Book said:
Inspire Confidence
To inspire confidence, the noble must speak (and the allies must hear the noble speaking) for at least 1 round, and the noble must make a Diplomacy check witha DC equal to 10 + 1 per 5 allies to be inspired (including the noble).
An ally inspired with confidence gains a +1 attack bonus, +1 to all skill checks and a +1 to Will saves. (These bonuses are competence bonuses). The effect begins as soon as the noble ends an inspirational speech adn lasts for 10 minutes per round the noble spent inspiring the allies, to a maximum of 5 hours for 30 rounds of inspiration. Whether or not the Diplomacy check succeeds, the noble may not attempt to inspire confidence again for at least 24 hours.
The confidence inspired by the noble increases as the noble attains levels. For every 4 levels after 2nd, the bonus increases by +1, to a maximum of +5 at 18th level.

Fortunately, while the revised rules scrapped this, it also scrapped the 'use-em-and-lose-em' "Call in a Favor" ability.

AmorphousBlob

First Post
I never had the original core book, but I did have the "Wheel of Time" book, that had a noble with the same "use-em-and-lose-em" favor ability, which I hated. The favor ability in the revised SWd20 rules was a lot more balanced, in my opinion. "Hey, I've run out of favors, that stormtrooper's going to kill me!"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads