• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

System for Hunter X Hunter?

icemaster109

First Post
So I'm a fan of the anime/manga Hunter X Hunter. For those of you who aren't familiar with the title, Hunter X Hunter is shonen anime that revolves around a fictional world where exceptional people can become licensed "Hunters". These individuals can take on a variety of tasks from exploring new lands, seeking out treasure and rare artifacts, to stalking big game etc. The setting is just ripe for role-playing adventures. While it is a shonen, and does carrying some of the core thematic elements (friendship, learning etc), it also shuns some of the basic tropes. For instance Hunter X Hunter is less about martial arts brawling, power ups, and much of the series is focused on outsmarting enemies, solving puzzles, and navigating traps/mazes etc.

I'm looking for a system that can handle 6-7 players. That can keep the shonen styled fighting mechanics (of doing exceptional abilities and feats of heroism) but allows the players to solve puzzles, use their brains, and outsmart their opponents as well.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can use for a system?

CAFRedblade

Explorer
Although a little complex, and a pain to deal with Anima might be a good system. It's designed to cover Anime style gameplay.. Unfortunately the English Core book is an edition behind all the current supplements due to being a Spanish production, and Fantasy Flight hasn't bothered to translate the newer Core version and release it over here. sigh..

It can handle the Ki, Psychic, and even Magical powers of the hunters quite well.

Otherwise, perhaps a version of the Fate Core system?
Although I've only ever read the Dresdin Files RPG book which uses the Fate system.

Razjah

Explorer
Savage Worlds can hit your requirements. Feng Shui could be great for this too. FATE Core has been recommended already.

I think Savage Worlds or FATE are the best systems to adapt for Hunter x Hunter game, based on what you've said-I haven't seen the show. Adapting the Cortex+ system from the Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game may work too, but I'm not familiar enough with that system to help.

tojek

First Post
Go lean.

Arguably you could take a big system like D&D and house-rule it into submission, but oiye. I prefer to start light and build up.
I've played and "DM'ed" several Freeform/Universal (FU) adventures. One caveat: good friends, trust, and maturity required, since there are so few rules to fall back on. If such a light system makes you queasy, then definitely Fate Accelerated-- good call, 1of3.

Luce

Explorer
I will recommed BESM 2e or you can go with the free Tri-stat dX variant
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/368/TriStat-dX-Core-System-RolePlaying-Game?it=1

The difference between the two is that the BESM is specifically d6 based and focused on the advice for anime. dX is more generic and its advice is more gender neutral.

Though I been reading Fate Core lately and think that it will work well too.
It can also be found for free on the the publisher's website (if you want to take a look), but if you like what you see I encourage you to support the publisher and buy the actual book.

Remove ads