• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tæün: Reflections (Updated 11-1-04)

Hjorimir

Adventurer
Tæün: Reflections (Updated 11-1-04)

1 - The Bottom Line

The Great Road, Darion’s March

Lazzaro Balsorano smoothed his finely trimmed goatee and impishly smiled. Business had been good as of late. That business involved the transporting of rather illegal items for some individuals of questionable moral standards. With the profit he had acquired from that recent side venture he had managed to afford his latest expensive ensemble, which included a fine silken shirt imported from the Kishtü Empire and a broad-rimmed hat, in the latest style, complete with a long, blue feather from some exotic bird he’d never heard of.

His cousin, Alfeo, and he sat upon the first of five wagons that made up a trade caravan that slowly made its way southeast along the Great Road from the Ainurian Kingdom of Vor’Andur towards the thriving markets to be found in the Castulian City-States. The wagons creaked and groaned with the pitch of the road under their heavy loads of leathers and the thick steel armor crafted only in the west.

The armor was an especially hard to find commodity in the city-states, where the locals favored more refined trappings, wasn’t meant for the native Castulians; it was meant to sell to the mercenary levies they retained for their continued protection. Those mercenaries were mostly comprised of professional soldiers of Eduni and Fjoti stock with the occasional maniacal Vastil tossed in to keep things interesting. Besides maybe whores and spirits, there was nothing more valuable to a mercenary than the tools of his trade: the blade he used to keep his job and the armor he wore to keep his life.

But such things were far from the mind of Lazzaro that morning. If all went well he would be in the town of Wrensford by evening. There, Ewart Jardine, a merchant of no small wealth had been attempting to marry off his eldest daughter, Lysette, to Lazzaro for quite some time. While having absolutely no intention of courting the girl, Lazzaro appreciated the situation for an entirely different reason. Ewart had courteously extended Lazzaro the use of his private warehouse to store his freight. This had allowed Lazzaro to evade the rather costly tariffs, which were collected at the public warehouses, on behalf of the Marquis Jeannot Beauvais of Arlies.

The tariffs were for the use of the road and bridge maintained by the Marquis who owned the scir where Wrensford was located. The bridge was on of the few places one could cross the great Corandil River, whose deep, gelid waters meandered down from the Braetic Sea in the north along a wide, serpentine course before finally giving way to the dark marshlands far south of the frontier. There were, of course, other ways to cross. But they took one a bit too far off the Great Road or veered too close to some dangerous areas frequented by bandits and worse.

The Marquis, being aware of these facts, made sure to capitalize as much as he could. His heavy tax burden only added fuel to Lazzaro’s distaste for the Maqess, a people he found rather snobbish and, ultimately, boring. Besides, everybody knew that the Castulians were more sophisticated than anybody else on the continent of Emoria. And being half-Castulian himself he tended to lump himself in that category whenever convenient. Of course there were times were being Ainurian had its advantages as well. Lazzaro wore many hats in his line of business.

The road ahead made a shallow decline where it emerged into an open meadow before being consumed, once again, by the tracks of light forest that dominated the countryside of Darion’s March. Lazzaro, who had allowed the horses to take the reign as long as they kept to the road, was considering some of his more complex business schemes when he instinctively ducked to his side as an arrow imbedded itself in the crate behind the bench. There were already more arrows flying through the air and, if the screams he heard were any kind of indication, many were finding suitable targets in the shippers and guards of the Balsorano Trading Company.

With a curse he came to his senses and noticed the orcs streaming from the trees on both sides of the road. Unfortunately, in his evasion of the sniper, he had dropped the reins of his team, which slid off the wagon to the ground below. The horses screamed and attempted desperately to turn the wagon around where they promptly wedged it in a precarious side position blocking the entire road. Lazzaro cursed as he struggled to maintain his balance upon his violently, lurching seat.

The orcs fired a second volley of arrows that screamed through the air though few found their mark this time as the men had started to react. Some of the guards returned fire from heavy crossbows into the main body of the charging orcs, felling a few, before tossing them aside in order to prepare for the coming melee.

Lazzaro, intending to get his horses turned back around, whipped a dagger out as he leapt from the wagon and hurled it squarely into the gut of a charging orc. This put the orc into a running dive where it came skidding to a halt. This had pushed the blade deeper into its body where it formed a gory apex of skin from the small of its back. Lazzaro made a mental not to write the dagger off as a business expense.

Three orcs pounced upon Lazzaro’s position swinging large, curved blades. One struck true upon his shoulder where his blood seeped into his fine, white shirt. He sighed thinking of how much money that one cut had cost him.

Finding he didn’t at all like being alone with the three orcs, Lazzaro fell back in a tuck and rolled under the wagon where he popped to his feet with his short sword in hand. There he found himself on the blind side of an orc who was engaged with one of the caravan guards. He made a single, well-placed thrust sliding the blade easily between the ribs causing the orc to crumple to the ground with a gurgling moan.

The battle had been costly. While they did manage to route the orcs and send them running back off into the wilds, Lazzaro had lost five men in the struggle and all but a few others were injured, most of them seriously. They bandaged the wounded as best they could and gathered the fallen men before continuing on their way to Wrensford.

Lazzaro’s stop in Wrensford was brief and all business. News there told of a number of ambushes by northern orc tribes along the Great Road in the past weeks that were causing a great amount of concern for travelers and settlers alike. The town, as much as those who used their bridge, depended upon the trade for money and supplies. While orcs had occasionally been seen this far south, large marauding groups of them were literally unheard of. From what he gathered of those shippers coming up from the city-states en route to the kingdoms, the attacks had been even worse further down the road.

The fact that Lord Jeannot had only last year released a group of rangers from his service due to their status as a “superfluous expense” only served to make the entire situation increasingly bitter for everybody involved. Of course, living in Arlies, the Marquis himself was in no immediate danger from these orcish attacks so his position was quite understandable. Besides, the town guard should be more than sufficient to deal with any “unpleasantries.”

Quickly surmising that the town guard was in no position to do much more than keep the orcs from actually entering the town proper, Lazzaro turned his caravan back around and returned to his grandfather’s estate in Vor’Andur to discuss the situation.

Aranarth, Vor’Andur
Like many of their competitors the Balsorano Trading Company, a respected family business of brokers and shippers, relied upon the use of the Great Road to conduct their business between the Castulian City-States and Ainurian Kingdoms. So the news of the orcish attacks was taken quite seriously.

Amadeo Balsorano was Lazzaro’s grandfather and Patriarch of the family. He made all the final decisions about the family business and was, ultimately, responsible for their well-being. After hearing his grandson’s report of the ambushes that effectively closed the Great Road, he presented himself to the Traders Guild seeking their support.

What Amadeo got was a bunch of traders who, in true entrepreneurial spirit, didn’t want to spend the money necessary to hire the kind of men who could take solve the problem. They argued over the course of three days laying blame and responsibility on any number of individuals, agencies, guilds, churches, and nobles. The one thing they agreed on, however, is that somebody else was responsible for opening the road. And that somebody would have to foot the bill.

Having nobody left to turn to, Amadeo and Lazzaro appealed to the Æhüthian Mother Church. While not exactly an obvious choice, the Church did want to improve its reputation within the March where the splintering Quinterion heterodoxy had been steadily growing over the past two decades. They played the “many people are dying” card in their plea and were summarily rewarded the service of one Aramon.

Father Aramon Botan was a young priest who had come into his faith late in life after his young wife, Shara, fell ill and passed away. Vardacale, a missionary priest, had comforted him during her passing, helping him understand death not as life’s ending, but as a transition to the Eternal.

But this wasn’t what interested the Balsoranos about the dark robed cleric. What was interesting to them was the Sign of Merlutat upon the holy symbol hanging from his neck. Merlutat was one of Exustius Optivus, The Chosen Seraphim, The Burning Hand of God, The Five. Merlutat was, in fact, the Angel of Death.

Aramon lowered his hood, gave a surprisingly warm smile and simply said, “Hello.” He had short, bowl-cut blonde hair and remarkably light blue eyes indicating at least a trace of Fjoti heritage within him. He wasn’t a very large man, as the northerners tended to be. Instead his Ainurian origins shined through, as he was rather short being well shy of six feet in height.

Amadeo, always the friendly businessman, extended his hand and returned the greeting. An uncomfortable silence followed as they considered the priest and what exactly to do with him.

“Not what you expected?” Aramon inquired sensing their unease.

The elder Balsorano shook his head and gave a half-hearted smile. “Not exactly, Father. Please, take no offence. But when we pressed for aid and were informed they were sending a priest we were expecting something a little more…shiny.”

The cleric nodded in understanding. “I am not a member of the Preceptory. I’ve never even been trained in heavy armor or the use of a shield for that matter. Actually I’m something of a scribe.”

Lazzaro groaned.

Ignoring the men, Aramon pressed on, “None the less, I am certain I can be of some aid within the March. If nothing else, I can always perform last rites for the dead and ease the burden of sorrow.” His explanation, meaning to efface their doubts, only made them all the more depressed.

“I’m sorry, but I’m not entirely sure how that is going to help with the orcs who have infested the area,” Lazzaro interrupted.

“It is not for us to comprehend the Mysterion. We can only do as Æhü intends,” Aramon countered.

“Oh sure, I know that,” Lazzaro lied smoothly. “It is just that by bringing a priest of your particular, uh, function we may be sending the wrong message to the March; suggesting they’re all going to die or something.”

“They are,” Aramon agreed.

He was met with flat stares.

Going on the cleric added, “Not that I am saying they will necessarily die at the hands of these orcs. But they will die. Eventually we all do. It is a certainty.”

His emphasis upon ‘will’ was perhaps said with too much earnest. Unsure if the priest was attempting to be witty or not, they capitulated and returned to Amadeo’s estate where Lazzaro and Aramon prepared to return to Wrensford.

“See if you can find some people to help figure out what is really going on down there,” Amadeo suggested as Lazzaro packed his belongings.

“I certainly don’t plan on going it alone,” Lazzaro replied stuffing a long-bladed dagger in his left boot.

Aramon cleared his throat.

“Well, you know what I mean,” Lazzaro explained. “Anyway, if I must I can always hire a sell-sword or two before we consider anything risky.”

“I’m not sending you there to be a hero, Laz. I’m sending you there to see if there is a way to open trade back up. If even only for us,” his grandfather chided.

Lazzaro only shrugged as he continued his packing. “Perhaps we could store the armor shipment in Lord Jardine’s warehouse indefinitely. As soon as the road is opened we would be at least a week ahead of our competitors here in Aranarth. The longer it takes, the more the prices will have risen in the city-states and we will be able to recover most, if not all, of our lost profit.”

Amadeo beamed a smile at his current, favorite grandson. “I like the way you think. I will send the caravan back down as soon as I replace the men we lost. As it is, I have yet to speak with their families and compensate them for their loss,” he said sadly.

Aramon sighed, disapproving of the manner in which they reduced the death of good men into debts to be paid. There was always a bottom line somewhere with traders.

Last edited:

Hjorimir

Adventurer
2 - Choices, Choices

Ermione, Arlies
The Cathedral of St. Gilles

The Most Reverend Clément Rousseau, Bishop of Ermione, sat considering the writ, his brow furrowing, as the warming sun poured through the windows of the solar upon his cathedra. Gervais, the bishop’s Vicair, stood patiently before him in a simple black cassock and holy symbol bearing the Open Hand of Æhü. Catching the Bishop’s eye, Gervais gave a friendly smile to the aged bishop whom he served.

“What news, Your Excellency?”

As always, Clément answered while adhering to proper form of address. “His Royal Highness, the Prince of Arlies, is being appealed to end trouble within Darion’s March, has pressed Archbishop Vespasien for the aid of the Mother Church. It is my see that will answer that request.”

Gervais cleared his throat before asking, “Aid? What troubles could be so great within an eastern frontier some one-thousand miles distant to be brought to the attention of Arlies?”

“The northern tribes have been marauding settlements along the Great Road,” Clément answered leaning forward in his chair. “There have been many deaths as a result, orcs knowing little in the ways of mercy.”

Gervais nodded slowly as he pondered the news. “While the Church certainly has an obligation to tend to those in suffering, it is an interesting notion that Édouard is concerned with such events. Most of his trade is freight by sea to the city-states. The impact on his economy, if any, would be positive.”

“True, though some of the Maqess nobles hold land interests within the March. Not that he is particularly worried about them. No, he has ‘requested’ a ‘conservative’ investigation into the ‘validity’ of these attacks.”

The vicair nodded in understanding. “Enough to show face but not so much as to actually resolve the issue. Which raises a question as to what the Ainurians are doing about the situation. They rely upon the security of the Great Road for their own trade and surely have a vested interest.”

“I am led to understand that clergy under the Aspect of Merlutat have left Aran’Arth to administer last rites,” Clément replied. “Undoubtedly they will proceed with their own cautious investigation. Unfortunately, that will give the time needed for Tol’Cathul to respond giving strength to the Quinterion heterodoxy, a faith that already has a growing influence in central Emoria, which disturbs me.”

“Édouard has placed us in a predicament,” Gervais said, finally understanding. “By dictating the strength of the Mother Church’s response he will make the orthodoxy appear weak in its commitment to the March. This, in turn, will strengthen the proselytization movement of the Quinterion Faith with his own nobles and subsequently weaken Æhüthian influence here in southern Rone. He has given us little time to respond. I will prepare at once and should be able to leave upon the morrow.”

“No, sending a member of the Magisterium is not the solution here…even a Prelate such as yourself. The Preceptory should be involved. Send word to the Cyrdion Motherhouse explaining the orthodoxy’s need in the March. The Preceptor should send somebody who can set a proper example of Æhüthian strength whilst maintaining all forms of propriety. Perhaps Sur Renard would be able to attend to this,” Clément suggested.

“Sur Renard is on pilgrimage to Edrion, I’m afraid.”

The bishop nodded. “A champion of the church would have been preferred. But I can hardly condemn Renard for fulfilling his duties. Sur Thierry should be able to make our presence known. He is quite capable and well mannered.”

“Unfortunately, Thierry is on mission to the Hiemalmark. Something about a troll attacking a group of Vascinian friars working there to bring enlightenment to the Fjoti barbarians,” Gervais responded with a frown.

Clément sighed and rubbed his temples. “Sur Armel will have to do. He’s a bit young…” the vicair interrupted with a shaking of the head. “Has my see been left without the service of our knights?”

“Pressing times, Your Excellency, but not quite as bad as that. Sur Étienne could be sent. He’s highly trained,” Gervais offered.

“While Étienne is indeed a favored knight, he lacks the perspective of the Church, nor is he a very capable diplomat.”

“Perhaps Sur Adrien would be appropriate,” Gervais suggested in earnest. “There is sure to be bloodshed involved and he can protect himself.”

“While I’m sure that Adrien would be sure to protect himself, it is the protection of the March I’m concerned with,” The bishop responded with the noticeable lack of honorific for the knight. “I’m not entirely convinced he is the right kind of man for the Preceptory as it is. No, I don’t want him out of my sight.”

Gervais clasped his hands behind his back and strolled a bit as he thought on the matter. “I think I know a knight who can achieve our goals.”

The bishop looked up in anticipation, “Yes?”

“Sur Trevier.”

“Who?”

“Sur Trevier,” Gervais repeated as if the words would hold more meaning the second time. “The one with a pleasant voice.”

Clément nodded remembering the man, “Trevier has at least a year’s study left if I recall correctly. He is still a novitiate, Gervais.”

“Actually his catechesis was completed during this past High Fading. I understand that Preceptor Bastien considers him an exemplar within their order.”

“May I remind you the importance of this task? We must evince to the March the strength and benefits of the Mother Church.”

The vicair nodded in agreement, “Sur Trevier, while very young, shows amazing promise. Not only is he quite capable in a martial capacity, he is well spoken and shows remarkable empathy for a knight.”

Clément leaned back in his chair and considered the vicair’s proposition. “Convey my blessings on his impending success in the March.”

“At once, Your Excellency.” Gervais kissed the bishop’s seal and turned to depart.

“And, Gervais, keep in contact with him via ‘sending’ to keep me appraised of his progress.”

The Soulwells
Melhaer prepared the conduit as he considered the Orders of the Prince he now served. The devil was well versed in the skills of deception. But the machinations of his master reached to denouements beyond his own considerable prescience. Not wishing to bring the wrath of his master, he quickly slipped into the transitive reality of the Vacuum and proceeded to translocate to the X’tromgaht.

The X’tromgaht was the single known point of ingression to the Umbra of the axial reality cluster. It lay within the skull cavity of a long, forgotten body of a dead god left floating amid the emptiness of the nether. Five umbral sentinels of significant power guarded access to the portal. Melhaer was underwhelmed.

In a manner that dared confrontation from the guardians, the pit fiend dropped five soulmotes upon the calcified floor (the price for access) as he strode towards the whirling darkness of the portal. As the soulmotes hit the floor, the sentinels moved with a blur to greedily collect their sustenance.

With practiced evasion, dark fey scurried away as the fiend manifested within the umbra. Melhaer looked to the sacrificial cages the fey kept hanging nearby and recouped his expenses by reducing six of the inhabitants to ash and collecting their soulmotes. Melhaer grinned. Profit.

Melhaer tossed his newfound profit at a navigator mage that stood nearby waiting to serve. “The Ermione border,” the devil said simply.

It didn’t take long to find a suitably tainted soul to use as an intermediary, as a particularly vile sneak thief presented himself, unknowingly, into his view. With proficiency honed from eons of practice, Melhaer gleefully slid into the man’s body and laughed as the he regurgitate his evening meal and begin to shake with cold sweat.

Twenty minutes later, the thief was standing in the bedroom of his target. “Awaken.”

The man in bed sat up with a start. He trembled as he peered into the shadows beyond the light of Merlutat’s moon at the dark silhouette.

“It is time for your master’s recompense,” the shadow said with a sneer.

“Master?” Slowly, a look of realization took over, “Who…wait…no…it is too soon!”

The thief stepped into the sickly, yellow moonlight, giving his face a deathly countenance. Yet his eyes showed the reflections of softly glowing flame as he leaned towards the man, “The Asperser stirs. He Commands thus…”

Melhaer awakened the thief’s perceptions enough to look upon the bodies of the freshly slain. Faint screams echoed through the fog of his mind.

[Why have you killed them?]

The devil chortled, [Me? You.]

[I don’t understand.]

[Because suffering is pleasing.]

[My suffering?]

[All suffering.]

[Mercy, I beg of you!]

[That is not within my purview. Witness.]

Melhaer released his grip on the soul of the thief as the wrathful husband attacked, tears of rage and pain in his eyes. The attack was fierce, extremely proficient and took a long time to complete.

The outcome was never in doubt.

Outside Ermione, Arlies
The Cyrdion Motherhouse

Sur Trevier was kneeling and quietly whispering prayers within the Oratory when Chaplain Gaétan came in kneeled beside the young knight and joined in prayer.

When they were finished, they exchanged knowing smiles. “You were ‘praying aloud’ again, Brother Trevier,” the chaplain stated.

Trevier nodded in admission of guilt, “What shall my penance be, Brother Gaétan”

“You’re too quick to accept penance,” the elder laughed. “Of all our brotherhood, you spend more time in here.”

“Except you,” Trevier countered.

Gaétan smiled. “Well, it comes with the job…call it an occupational hazard.”

Trevier frowned, “Hazard?”

“Oh, come now, don’t read anything into it. I was only going to comment on what a beautiful day it was outside. Æhü went to all the trouble of making such a magnificent sun for us to enjoy. We’d be lacking in our duties to not appreciate it from time to time, no?”

The two friends shared a laugh as they made their way out into the bailey.

“Preceptor Bastien wishes to speak with you, Trevier.”

“Have I done something wrong?”

“Of course not. No, I think that Bishop Clément has requested a knight for something important.”

Trevier’s tongue rolled around the words slowly, “A knight?” His anointment having just taken place the month prior he was still in the process of accepting his new status within the Preceptory arm of the Mother Church.

“Well, you, to be specific. Vicair Gervais is here as we speak. Let’s not keep them waiting any longer than we already have,” Gaétan gestured towards the direction of the hall.

The two entered the hall amid an ongoing discussion between the Preceptor and Vicair. “…as his confessor I shall be the one to dictate castigation in this case. Ah, Sur Trevier,” Gervais turned. “Let me say the Mother Church is most pleased with your rapid ascent into the Cyrdion Order. We expect great things from you.”

Trevier bowed to the vicair, “Thank you, Father Aiton.”

“The Mother Church has need of you. Will you answer?”

“With all my being.”

Pronunciation Guide
Adrien, Sur (ad-ree-AWN)
Clément Rousseau, Bishop of Ermione (klay-MAWN)
Édouard, Prince (ay-DWAR)
Étienne, Sur (ay-TYEN)
Gervais Aiton, Vicair (zher-VAY)
Melhaer (mel-HAYR)
Renard, Sur (re-NAR)
Thierry, Sur (tye-REE)
Trevier, Sur (TREV-ee-ae)

Last edited:

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Sounds like medieval Earth. Is this a homebrew world or are you setting it there?

Glad I found a beginning story with good writing. :cool:

Looking forward to more...now that I'm subscribed :)

Hjorimir

Adventurer
Whoot, first subscriber! :D

Thank you for your post, Broccli_Head. Yes, it is a homebrew world that is really just heavily influenced by Earth. People say to write what you know and, frankly, our own history fascinates me.

That being said, there are enough changes to keep the players on their toes. I find comfortable players to be rather boring.

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Hjorimir said:
That being said, there are enough changes to keep the players on their toes. I find comfortable players to be rather boring.

yes, I noticed...orcs...pit fiends, but it still does convey a medieval European feel, which if very cool. I also like the sinister overtones.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
Speaking of pagans...

(And thank you, ForceUser.)

3 - Two of a kind

The Eastern Expanse, Ondria Highlands

The orcs had left a string of carcasses in the wake of their movements. The longhaired, red cattle, a mainstay of Eduni life in the highlands, were a precious commodity. The slaughtered livestock had prompted the clansmen into action - not that anyone needed an excuse to kill any orcs that entered the Holdings.

Three days and nights Donal, Égun, and Odhrán had been on their trail, pressing hard to catch up with the invading humanoids. From their vantage, lying amongst the tall swaying grasses, upon a hill overlooking the orc encampment in the vale below, they discussed the cruaidh'carraid, or bloodwork, to be done (a time honored tradition of the Rithmílidh* where they planned the intricate strategies of an impending battle).

“I’ve got fourteen commons and nine pieces that say I can get to that big, fat one before you, Odhrán,” Égun jeered, pointing out a particularly large and dangerous looking orc.

Odhrán scratched around his empty eye socket. “You blither like a sheep, Égun, but I’ll be taking your monies before the sun has set.”

“I’m in on that; the kill is mine,” Donal added.

“You’re too slow to keep up with the likes of us, old man. Your money is wasted on the ‘usky I’ll be drinkin’ in your honor… tis prolly’ for the best seeing how you really can’t handle your own,” Égun jibed at Donal. “What was the name of that young lass again?” The ribbing was in reference to a rather embarrassing encounter between the older veteran and a wily young whore from Brelethon who had taken him for two gold as she drank him under the table during their last campaign in the city-states.

Odhrán guffawed.

“Quiet, you idgit!” Donal hissed. “Get low.”

The three clansmen settled deep into the grasses as the startled orcs below looked up at the overhanging crest with newfound interest. Égun and Odhrán were choking down their laughter as they struggled to remain silent.

Donal sighed and shook his head at the orcs below who, now wary, began to muster. “Okay, so I’m a’ thinking…”

The screams of other two brought Donal up short as they leapt from the precipice and descended the slope quickly sliding towards the bottom and the waiting orcs. Donal cursed and started a slower, more controlled slide.

Odhrán was the first to reach the bottom and had the privilege to draw first blood (something that was always good for a few bragging rights among his kin). He whipped his sparth** in a wide arc felling the first one with a single, mighty hew and followed through to mark the second a bleeding wound.

Unfortunately, on his way down, Égun careened off a hidden rock in the grass that sent him into a flipping, rolling plunge. The violent fall tore his own sparth from his hands (eliciting all manner of profanities between the “oomphs,” “arrghs,” and “uggs”) before finally coming to the bottom where he planted himself before the group of orcs with a resounding thud.

An orc seized the moment and lunged forward with a spear, driving it into the flesh of Égun’s shoulder just before an axe (a token of Donal’s campaign in the Hiemalmark some years past for which he was often ridiculed for its small size) came whipping through the air from the hill above lodging itself firmly in the orc’s neck.

Odhrán yelped in pain as the wounded orc landed a telling blow with a mace to the side of his right knee with a crack. As he fought on, three more orcs came to their senses and entered the fray. One viciously stabbed at Odhrán, its blade finding the meat of his right arm, starting a nice flow of blood. The other two orcs made powerful overhand attacks against the prone Égun. One of them drew a wicked gash across his back while the other, overextended, slashed harmlessly into the ground.

Égun came to his feet and was hit again as the orcs took the opportunity to repeat their assault. Looking at his fresh wounds, he started to scream incoherently at one of the orcs (something about the way its nose hair was too long) and gave himself over to the riastarthe***. The orc’s head tilted slightly to the side, its eyes widening, as it looked upon the screaming highlander. With his hands outstretched, Égun lunged forward. Successfully slipping inside the orc’s guard, he firmly gripped it around the throat and proceeded to squeeze.

Odhrán recovered and stumbled back a bit. A swipe of his sparth finished off the orc and marked his next. He smiled through bloodied lips and glared through his one remaining eye.

Donal, having finally managed to get all the way down, engaged Égun’s second attacker. A powerful swing of his broadsword sheared off a fleshy chunk of its upper thigh driving the orc to the ground where it wailed in pain.

Meanwhile, the ‘fat’ orc watched the battle carefully, looking for the best chance of victory. Not caring about the fate of the other orcs, it wasn’t willing to partake in any unnecessary risks that might get it killed.

Sliding quickly to his left, Odhrán evaded the pressing attack of the orc he faced. Nearby, Égun’s victim hopelessly flailed about the barbarian’s head and shoulders trying to escape the death grip.

Donal was caught unaware as the maimed orc at his feet thrust a dagger at him in a violent, sideways arc and impaled the blade into the meat of the clansman’s calf. Donal dropped instantly, joining the orc in a heap on the ground.

With a sickly pop, Égun felt the windpipe collapse in his hands. He let the gurgling orc slide from his grip to lie upon the ground, kicking and writhing as it struggled for air. He turned to their leader, who waited with a great-axe poised in a loose bobbing stance, a look of confidence on its ugly face.

Égun unslung his claimh mhor, a fine steel blade of exceptional quality, and returned the look. The orc’s confidence melted into concern before it turned to flee. Unfortunately, for the orc, the Rithmílidh are notoriously fast and it wasn’t long before it realized that it wasn’t going anywhere without finishing the business at hand.

The two of them squared off in an exchange of frenzied blows before once again separating. That exchange left the orc wounded and heaving for its breath and Égun gripping his side in an effort to staunch the blood flowing from a vicious cut. Seeing the deep wound, the orc sensed victory and charged.

The clansman had anticipated the rush and whipped his blade around in a quick, curving arc, riving off the left hand of the orc in a single, well-placed stroke. In shock, the orc stood numb trying to figure out what was going on. [Hand on ground. Not where hand should be.] Égun smiled and prepared to deliver the coup de gras.

With a thunk, Égun’s smile faded as he considered the fletching protruding from the side of the orc’s head. Donal’s damnable crossbow, this one a souvenir from his embarrassing trip to Brelethon, had killed the orc.

“Pay up!” called Donal from ground where he leaned over a dead orc.

The three bled and laughed together.

Having sucked the marrow clean, Donal tossed the rib bone into the fire with a flick, sending a spiral of embers whirling into the cool, night air. “It will be slow going back to Athorchel with me and Odhrán limping most of the way.”

Odhrán had been busily rummaging through the trove of the slain orcs. “Not much here. We can take the weapons back for the clan, not much else. Just a pack of leaves of all things.”

“Leaves?” asked Égun. “Show them here.”

“Smells odd,” Odhrán noticed before tossing the small pouch to Égun.

Égun took a whiff and wrinkled his nose before shoving the leaves in Donal’s face for him to smell.

Waving his hand, Donal brushed Égun back. “Dunno, lad.”

“Maybe a druid would know,” Odhrán suggested innocently.

Égun sighed, knowing exactly where this was leading. “Odhrán stop.”

“She’s your cousin,” Odhrán complained in a tone that was almost accusatory. “Besides, you could just run ahead while Donal and I haul back the find.”

Égun shook his head, “’Tis probably nothing anyway. Right, Donal?”

The older man simply replied with a shrug of his shoulders, choosing not to comment one way or another.

“Damn.”

Tríona had just started her tenure as an Initiate of the 9th Circle in service to the Aromalyan**** giving a sense of purpose in her still-young life. The Tree had bonded with her essence, changing her once auburn hair to the pale white of new snow and her green eyes to deep pools of violet.

This startling change in her appearance had caused no end of suspicious rumors amongst her kin about being touched by fey or worse. As a Druid, she held a respected position among the highland clans, where she cared to the needs of the Following. Yet she was always acutely aware of their curious looks and quiet whisperings when she visited their homesteads.

Disting, a time of planting new seeds for the coming year, had just passed. The celebration, also a time of sowing seeds of hopes and dreams, was especially poignant for Tríona as she struggled to find her niche in life.

The druid, Ruadhán, had comforted her after the metamorphosis. “As the caterpillar transforms into the butterfly, your chrysalis is not a thing to be feared. Embrace evolution, my child. Change is a certainty.” While his analogy had certainly been wise and straight to the point, Tríona continued to be curious about what this change meant for her and the impact it would have.

It was near evening as she dreamily stared into a pool of water, the same kind utilized by wiser druids to see things far away, contemplating this very facet of her life. [Ruadhán is right…the Aromalyan knows best.] The face of her cousin, Égun, appeared in the water’s reflective surface.

Tríona turned and beamed a smile up at the tall man and laughed. Jumping up to her tiptoes, she embraced him.

“Uh, how are you doing, Tríona?” Égun asked. Slightly embarrassed by the open display of affection, he dislodged himself.

“Better now,” she replied, and stopped to take a critical look at her cousin. “You’ve gone and got yourself all hurt!” she complained.

“Oh, that?” he said looking at the wound in his side. “’Tis nothing really. It will mend in time.”

Tríona placed her hand gently along the wound and felt the heat of it. “No, it won’t.” Still young in her role as a druid, she tentatively reached out to her connection with the Tree. Feeling the power of Life course within her, she spoke an ancient rite of healing. Warm, soothing sunlight fell from her hand and closed the wound instantly.

Égun jumped back, startled and shaking. “Tríona, you should warn a man!”

Tríona stuck her tongue out at him and pouted.

“Err, thank you…sorry, I’m just not used to magic,” he explained.

She beamed a smile. “Much better and you’re welcome. Now tell me who did that to you.”

“You should see the other guy.”

“Oh, save it and just tell me what happened.”

“I’m trying to,” Égun complained. “You see me, Donal, and Odhrán were hunting down some orcs who had been making a living off our cattle. We came across their hidden camp and ambushed them with, uh, no small amount of good tactics. We dispatched the twelve of them, the conflict ending in a duel between me and their piggish leader.”

Tríona stared at him, skepticism written all over her face. “Twelve?” The question was more of an accusation.

“Uh-huh,” Égun answered as he scratched his head. “Anyways, there were so many of them all around us, they got in a few lucky shots ‘tis all,” Oblivious, he pressed on. “So I’m standing there staring down the boss and I say…” At that point, Tríona started urging on the description with a roll of the hand indicating he should come to some kind of point. “…well it doesn’t matter now. I found this.” Égun offered her the small bag of leaves Odhrán had discovered.

Tríona examined the contents of the pouch with some amount of uncertainty. There was no point in asking Égun what they were; he could hardly discern weeds from grass. Still, she was impressed he had the good sense to come to her. “Remarkable.”

“Yu-huh,” he agreed eagerly, not really knowing what was so remarkable. “They sure are special.”

Tríona gave him a flat stare.

“Right?”

“Tell me everything. Try the truth on while you’re at it,” she admonished.

“Twelve, I say!”

Égun gave a ‘differing perspective’ of the events.

Ruadhán turned the leaves over in his hands. “They’re still alive.”

“I felt that too,” Tríona agreed.

“Orcs, you say?” the druid asked, seeking confirmation.

Tríona bit her lip, “That’s what he told me. I think he’s being honest, though I have serious doubts about their numbers. What do you think it means?”

“Honestly, I have no idea,” Ruadhán conceded. “It isn’t native.” He tossed the open bag to the ground and assumed the shape of a wolf. He sniffed the leaves vigorously a few moments and resumed his natural form. “Nope, not native at all.”

“What is your council, Ruadhán?” the initiate inquired.

“I will take half of these and confer with Clíodhna and see what she has to say, as the Great Druid, she should be made aware. I have heard rumors of troubles within the March about growing orc incursions there. I can’t help but wonder if this might be of some importance in the frontier.” Ruadhán said, thinking out loud, as he studied the foliage.

Ruadhán, turning his attention back to Tríona, looking at her intently said, “Maybe you and your cousin could travel to the March and investigate the matter there. A new plant, while seemingly a small thing, could have untold impact on the Balance,”

“I’m sure that would be best. Thank you, Ruadhán.”

*Rithmílidh (rith-MIL-idth) roughly translates as ‘running warriors’ from the Eduni tongue. They form a rather prestigious mercenary band known for their speed on the field of battle. They are almost entirely comprised of barbarians.

**A sparth is a six-foot polearm the Eduni use that has a fifteen-inch curved axe blade that comes to a point that is both good for slashing and thrusting attacks.

***Riastarthe is the ‘warp-frenzy’ of Eduni barbarians.

****It is probably worth noting for the older D&D crowd here that Initiate of the 9th Circle is for 3rd-level druids. Like the annual rings of a tree, as a druid grows in understanding of nature’s power they become closer to the center of the tree. The Aromalyan is the Tree of Life, the wellspring of all life created by Æhü at the starting of the Second Epoch. It forms the basis of the druidic following.

Pronunciation Guide
Clíodhna, Great Druid (KLEE-u-na)
Égun (A-gun)
Odhrán (O-rawn)
Ruadhán, Druid (ROO-awn)

Last edited:

Hjorimir

Adventurer
Yes, though it still lacks a great amount of detail. Between the two campaigns I run on Tæün it is high on my list of things to finish up. I have recently purchased Campaign Cartographer, so it will take a bit as I get used to the application. As soon as I have something worth showing I will take the time to imbed it here on ENWorld.

Thanks for reading, Broccli_Head. Every time I see more views it brings a smile to my face.

Remove ads