• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

T1: Moathouse: Take your copy out and help!

PatEllis15

First Post
Hey all:

I am about to try and build the Moathouse from T1 Village of Hommlet for my game group! I have been building terrain for about a year now with Plaster Blocks made from Castle Molds (www.hirstarts.com).

I'm pretty excited about making the castle. I hope to bring it to conventions and such and run Old style 1E adventures and such, as well as use it for my game group's run into the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil.

I've been looking at the maps for a while, picturing in my head what I needed to do to create this small castle in 3d. That said, I'm a bit stumped, and would love some input from all you.

For reference, take a look at the top down map of the Castle Level 1 (Ruins of the Moathouse) the map for the "Dungeon level", and the illustration of the Moathouse on page 12.

Help me visualize what we see!

The first problem I have is that it appears that the dungeon level should (rooms 1-7 in the dungeon level map) should fit neatly underneath rooms 6-17 of the Top level.

The wings on the top are symetrical, both are 40 feet wide, by 50 feet long, yet in the dungeon section, one of them is 50 feet wide! Also the space beneath room 7 is 40 foot square, 10 feet longer in each direction! Also, if the dungeon is right below the upper level, should the stairs leading to room 6 upstairs, take up space in 1 in the dungeon?

Further: As I look at the picture on page 12, I can clearly see the the inner building is set INSIDE the curtain wall. i.e. the outwall of room 17 is not the curtain wall. But I can see in the picture the arrow slits that should be near room 17! Yet those arrow slits are illustrated for Room 17, NOT room 2 and 3 in the dungeon. This leads me to suspect that there is a 10 foot tunnel that runs AROUND the inner building! Yet, when we look at the illustration at the bottom the "Moathouse Ruins" Map, it shows that the Parapet is atop the wall, and access to those Arrow Loops is set back 10 feet. Also, if there is a 10 foot tunnel, that would reveal the secret passageway from room 17 to the dungeon. As you stare at that picture, it also drives home the point that those arrow loops are LOW in the wall, not higher up.

Silly details I know... But I'd appreciate thoughts and comments on how to make this 3d creation true to the original, while, obviously, having to make some changes.

Col_Pladoh, if your reading, please feel free to comment! :D

Thanks all!

Pat E

JDragon

Explorer
This sounds like a great idea.

I'm sure everyone would love to see pics when you are done

You may also want to check Monte Cook's Forums, not only for advice on this but just running RttToEE in genral. He has one forum didicated to this adventure, its for DM's only and they have great input on problem areas and suggestions on how to improve it. Including a complete update to 3.5.

http://pub102.ezboard.com/fokayyourturnfrm17

Good luck!

Silveras

First Post
You may want to look at the Temple of Elemental Evil computer game. It is a very faithful re-creation of the original T1-4 modules. The moathouse is rendered in glorious color and isometric perspective, and you may be able to answer some of your questions that way.

::spoiler warning::

There IS a secret tunnel on one side, in the wall, where brigands hide. It is accessible from the Dungeon level, and from the outside on the eastern side of the moathouse.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Silveras said:
You may want to look at the Temple of Elemental Evil computer game. It is a very faithful re-creation of the original T1-4 modules. The moathouse is rendered in glorious color and isometric perspective, and you may be able to answer some of your questions that way.

And by happy coincidence is the area featured in the free demo.

Village of Homlett was the best adventure Gygax ever wrote, the expansion into ToEE was not so hot in my arrogant opinion.

The Auld Grump

*EDIT* Demo can he found here: http://www.greyhawkgame.com/main.php

Last edited:

PatEllis15

First Post
Thanks for all the Cheerleading... I'll certainly be posting pics when I'm done!

Silveras:

I've reread the description for that secret passage:

****Spoiler Warning*****

The description in room 7 reads: "The Brigands are totally unaware of the secret door and staircase leading down to the the dungeons"

There is access from the dungeon to the outside, but that is a seperate sub level.

Thanks for the hint on the PC game... I'm downloading the demo now...

I hadn't reviewed the description of the Moathouse in RttToEE when I wrote this, I just took a quick look at a similar overhead shot, and the maps. The illustrator has definatley made "Changes" in the moathouse. The Cartographer has clearly made it appear that those arrow loops WERE accessable from those upper levels. that said, there are real changes in teh illustration (the square tower is a fully story taller, there are doors of some sort on ground level in the courtyard etc.

There is still the problem with the dungeon level being to wide on one side as well.

Please comment away!

Pat E

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads