• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tabasco Sauce: Whats your favorite kind?

buzzard

First Post
A couple years back when I worked at a research lab in Albuquerque NM, we had a head technician who claimed that nothing, whatsoever was actually really hot. He and I used to go out for lunch each Friday in search of the hottest green chile sauce to be found. I got a good exposure to the local New Mexican eateries in this process. However he never admitted that any of the sauces were hot at all (and some had a fair kick). Thus for Christmas I gave him a bottle of Dave's Insanity Sauce. He opened it up, and tried a dab. That, he admitted was actually hot.

The whole lab went out for a Christmas lunch, and the bottle was brought along. Some people tried it out by putting small dabs on their burritos (the lunch place specialized in burritos), and had no big trouble. The visiting scientist from the Ukraine apparently didn't know what he was getting into. He poured the stuff onto his food like the was Catsup. He then gets a nice big forkful from his burrito slathered in Dave's sauce and hoboy, did he get a surprise. "AHH MAROONEY(tech's name) my mouth has exploded!!!!" It was pretty damned funny at the time.

The other use we found for the bottle was as a booster. One of the researchers had moved to Mass. and asked if we could send him a bottle of a local hot sauce that he couldn't get back East. Well in an effort to make him think he'd lost his hot food tolerance, we got a bottle of the desired sauce, emptied out some and doctored it with some Dave's. I never heard the results of that one since I left not too much longer after that prank.

buzzard

Cutty Sark

First Post
The green Tabasco is pretty good, but my favorite mexican pepper sauce is Cholula. It's less vinegar-y, smoother and its flavor matches well with burritos and breakfast.

I once made potions the players had to drink if they wanted their PC to benefit from the potion. This was in 1980, in a 1st Ed. AD&D game.

Some fire related potion was, of course, just water with a lot of Tabasco sauce. Unfortunately, the group never consumed that potion during the session. ;)

Now that I've brought this on-topic, can we move it to General? :p

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My personal worst experience with spicy food was, oddly enough, at a TGI Fridays.

I'm a native New Orleanean, so I grew up on spicy food. My friends know this, so every once in a while, they would challenge me.

However, we were at TGI Fridays one night after bowling, and they had just introduced their "spicy Texas Tornado Wrappers!" I ordered one.

It was the hottest thing I'd ever had- there was a constant burn, I was sweating bullets, and I went through a pitcher of cold tea before I was halfway through- and they were mocking me mercilessly (yes, I know milk would have cleared it immediately, but my pride was at stake).

Then the manager walked up and said "I'm sooooo sorry...we messed up your order."

(I'm thinking 'how much worse could this thing get?')

"Yours was the first ever ordered in the shop, and the cook wasn't familiar with the recipe- he was supposed to put 1 1/2 tablespoons of cayenne pepper sauce on your Texas wrapper, but instead he put 1 1/2 tablespoons of cayenne pepper on it..."

I got my meal for free, and my buddies shut up.

Qlippoth

Explorer
Shemeska said:
About two years ago, one of my players and I decided to have a contest for who could eat the hottest stuff. Another player went out and ordered some manner of Dave's Insanity Sauce (Dave's special reserve or something like that, came in a numbered bottle).

Well between the two of us, we used about 1/3 of the bottle on our burrito for dinner that night, and I lost my sense of taste by the second bite, and was violently cursing by the end of the first burrito. Only after we eat that 1/3 of the bottle between the two of us, does the friend who bought the bottle notice and read to us the following warning on the label: "Warning: Not for direct human consumption. Dilute dropwise."

Thirty minutes later the two of us were quite literally -HIGH- on the endorphine rush. Giggling, whimsical, with a vague sense of euphoria that came close to a shot of demerol you'd get after surgery. Another half hour after that and we were on the floor in miserable pain as our stomachs tried to implode.

I didn't get out of bed the next day, and it took about 4 days to finally get my sense of taste back.

We refer to this stuff as Liquid Stupid.
This is absolutely hilarious, as I have a nearly identical story involving DIS. Some friends and I were at a Tex-Mex restaurant after a long snowy afternoon of beer-drinking; after we downed a few margaritas, our food arrived. We're all fans of hot & spicy food, so we asked the waiter to bring by whatever pepper sauces they had.

Now, there are a lot of sauces out there on the market, many with "WILD & CRAZY/EXTREME" aspirations. Some of them are, in fact, what they are advertised to be. Many aren't. So, in my jaded, "burnt-my-tongue-there, done-so-with-that" attitude, I reach for one of the bottles & precede to shower my quesadilla liberally with this "Dave's Insanity Sauce."

Mind you, at the time, I too neglected to read the label (thinking in my oh-so-experienced way that it'd be full of useless hyperbole). I'd also not yet known that Dave's Insanity Sauce includes mace as an ingredient. I'm not the fastest learner while tipsy, but I did learn!

The first sensation was that my eyes were absolutely burning (as though having them exposed to air was drying them into painful husks); I countered by closing my eyes and continuing to eat my meal (see "Liquid Stupid," above). I figured that I could simply finish the meal with my eyes shut & ride out the Wave of Burning.

After a few minutes, my friends began to notice my tightly-shut eyelids & asked what was going on. My only response was to reach down to the table, grab the bottle of sauce, and gently push it in their direction (eyes still shut & tearing wildly the whole time). What do two of them do? Proceed to dump it on their meals as well. (We had one sane member in our party who elected not to jump off the same cliff.)

Within a few minutes, we were all gasping and laughing and burning. One of my friends got up to "use the facilities" and vainly attempt to "wash out" the pain with water. After a few minutes of silence, we heard a loud yelp from the men's room. Note to all: Do not immediately touch sensitive areas of your body without having washed your hands of burning pepper sauce! This should have been plainly obvious to any of us, but, well, you know.

Eventually, our waiter came over to ask what the commotion was all about. Between spasms of laughter and intensely burning sensations, I managed to put a request in for some bread and milk. He laughed & provided these promptly (along with another round of drinks).

After we'd diluted the Insanity Sauce to the point at which we could see again, the endorphins kicked in. Suddenly, everything got 'floaty'. One of us very quietly said, "...let's...go...sit..on...those...couches...over there." Without a word, we floated over, paid our check, and then greeted everyone coming into the restaurant a la Fantasy Island.

The restaurant (for some reason) no longer stocks Dave's Insanity Sauce. Which is a shame, because every year around the same time we all get the indescribably stupid itch to repeat the experience.

Ferret

Explorer
Mycanid said:
Ever try Dave's Insanity Sauce? Way too hot for me to use straight, but I like to use it in soups and sauces.

Oh dear lord. That bottle sat in our cupboard for 6 months, and it was only good for surprising people with. My auntie slathered it on onto her food to our horror and melted. My sister had it thrust onto her lips and licked the carpet to get it off her tongue. The tongue proceeded to dissolve.

Mycanid

First Post
Ferret said:
Oh dear lord. That bottle sat in our cupboard for 6 months, and it was only good for surprising people with. My auntie slathered it on onto her food to our horror and melted. My sister had it thrust onto her lips and licked the carpet to get it off her tongue. The tongue proceeded to dissolve.

Yeah ... my "horror story" with this stuff was not bound up with tasting it. I offered it to some guests who arrived out of nowhere while I was extremely busy. One of them put it on the side of his plate to "dip bread in it" or some such nonsense.

Later I arrived gathering the plates for washing up, etc. and did not see the DIS on the plate. Well, apparently my hand touched some, because later after washing up I rubbed my eye and ... AHHHHHHHH!!!!!! It took me 15 minutes of washing and rubbing. Man! Did that ever HURT!

But again, I must stress ... it is excellent as a gourmet flavoring in sauces and soups. Only 1 drop at a time, please. :)

Ferret

Explorer
I've not seen it used like that before, sounds like a good idea. I've heard stories from my dad about slicing chillies then going to the toilet...Eeek

Remove ads