• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Table rules and ideas, any opinions?

tuxedoraptor

First Post
the first section is the mechanical rules, rules that directly affect the game, as such, these rules are not permanent until finalized:
1.short rests are now 24 hours, long rests are one week. Characters can take a quick rest of eight hours to gain effects of a short rest, but any HP recovery will require someone trained in medicine to roll, healers kit gives advantage.

2. remarkable athlete has been replaced with combat expertise, giving half proficency bonus to damage and intiative rolls

3.humans get +2 to two stats, as with ALL races that get floating bonuses, they cannot be stacked, they also get one skill or one tool proficency. Half elves get the +2 charisma bonus and +1 to one other stat, as well as one skill and one too

l4.warlocks are intelligence based for all races OTHER than tiefling, tieflings are charisma based warlocks

5.rogue subclasses and ranger in full are getting rebuilt.

Table standards are what I expect from my players at all times and very rarely make exceptions, they are added here to help make sure I caught the major ones:

1.No anime,manga,comic book,cartoon etc. characters at all, not even names or personalities. This also applies to real life people.

2.No evil characters, all characters are either neutral or good until the player proves mature enough to handle evil characters. Class options clearly intended for evil characters are forbidden to all players that have not proven themselves mature

3.references in character to things that do not exist yet in universe. Do not make references to any media in character, quoting monty python at any time is also forbidden.

4.attempting to break the game at all. If you find an extremely broken option in my houserules or in the game itself, tell me. Do not use it, do not tell others to use it, just tell me so I can fix it.

5.backstory is NOT required, what is required is how you know the other players characters.

6.do not, under any circumstances do something stupid or ask stupid questions. This requires a bit of explanation, I once had a player ask me for a pet hellhound, then a pet red dragon, then a pet tarresque. That player was quickly and permanently banned from ever playing in my online groups. If you attempt to hug a red dragon or smack the king in the face, you will not be taking that action back, you are suffering the concequences, most likely losing your character.

Last edited:

Nytmare

David Jose
So your one of those serious gamers....

"you're" ;)

As for Tux, although I can fully understand wanting to encourage many of those behaviors, I think that by formalizing a list of commandments, all you're going to do is make people uneasy and encourage troublemakers to make trouble around the edges of your rules. I think that you might be better off just asking everybody to try and take the game as seriously as possible, maybe list a couple of "please don'ts" instead of "you may nots" explaining what kind of feel and style of game it is that you want to run. And maybe institute a swear jar that goes towards soda or beer; but instead of swear words, have people throw in a dollar for every Monty Python joke they make.

delericho

Legend
There's something in the tone of these that tells me I wouldn't enjoy this game. It's possible I'm reading more into it than is already there, but that was the impression I got.

2.No evil characters, all characters are either neutral or good until the player proves mature enough to handle evil characters. Class options clearly intended for evil characters are forbidden to all players that have not proven themselves mature

I'd ditch the "until the player proves mature enough" bit here. Either ban them, or allow them, but don't play favourites with the players. If you tell Al he can't have a CE anti-paladin character but you tell Bob he can, expect to face months of Al bitching about it at every turn.

3.references in character to things that do not exist yet in universe. Do not make references to any media in character, quoting monty python at any time is also forbidden.

This one, more than anything else, would drive me from the table. I'm there to have a good time, and if you're going to get all dictatorial about what I can and can't say, I'm out.

Remember: the more you tighten your grip, the more systems will slip through your fingers.

6.do not, under any circumstances do something stupid or ask stupid questions. This requires a bit of explanation, I once had a player ask me for a pet hellhound, then a pet red dragon, then a pet tarresque. That player was quickly and permanently banned from ever playing in my online groups. If you attempt to hug a red dragon or smack the king in the face, you will not be taking that action back, you are suffering the concequences, most likely losing your character.

Refusing to allow players to take back actions is fair enough. But it goes both ways: if my PC is high enough level, it's entirely likely he could smack the king and not only get away with it but end up with his very own kingdom.

tuxedoraptor

First Post
they aren't really commands, more or less a list of what would get under my skin. In character monty python jokes are so overdone and so damn boring that I refuse to ever watch that movie. The list is more or less just a way for people to have a grasp of what I expect, plus I also wrote this list after walking crotch first into a sharp table corner, stepping on a D4 and then stubbing my toe. The whole playing favorites thing works pretty well as long as you take the player who has the issue aside and explain to them that its more of a matter of trust, as not everyone can handle an evil character and avoid derailing the game/triggering other players. This is about as serious as I get when it comes to rules, I don't want one of my players freaking out at the table. I don't mind silly moments in character and I actually ENCOURAGE players to build onto the universe, as I only built the major areas, noble bloodlines,clans,small villages, distant lands, elven tribes all of that is untouched so the players can write it themselves

Remove ads