Tact-Tiles

Hjorimir

Adventurer
One of the best things about Tact Tiles is that you can just remove tiles from behind and replace them in front, while sliding the tiles where the PCs are around. I don't know if that makes any sense to those of you who haven't had the joy of playing with them, but never having to worry about map placement is one of the product's strong points.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I have to echo some of the other comments here, the TacTiles are a fantastic product. I can't for the life of me understand why the original company or someone else hasn't been able to bring them back to market. It can't be that difficult to find a company to print the darn things, can it?

--Steve

kenobi65

First Post
SteveC said:
I can't for the life of me understand why the original company or someone else hasn't been able to bring them back to market. It can't be that difficult to find a company to print the darn things, can it?

Apparently, it can. Given that this is the guy's primary product, and that it was very well-received when it was introduced, I'm sure he's tearing his hair out trying to find a new supplier to work with.

Based on how he described the problem, my guess is that whoever he had to (a) cut out the tiles, and (b) etch the grid lines onto them, backed out. I wonder if he was relying on someone with some specialized (i.e., expensive) equipment, who was giving him time during which the equipment wasn't being used for its primary task.

pedr

Explorer
I've also heard a suggestion that the price of oil (and, therefore, the price of plastic) was making the product less profitable/viable even before the manufacturing problems. No idea whether that's true or not, but it's certainly a possibility.

Agamon

Adventurer
Hjorimir said:
One of the best things about Tact Tiles is that you can just remove tiles from behind and replace them in front, while sliding the tiles where the PCs are around. I don't know if that makes any sense to those of you who haven't had the joy of playing with them, but never having to worry about map placement is one of the product's strong points.

Yup. Alternatively, you can remove tiles and add new ones, and keep what you've drawn on the old ones, in case they go back. That's pretty sweet, too.

RodneyThompson

First Post
I'd never used Tact Tiles until a few months ago. When I got here to the WotC offices I saw that a bunch of people used them, and a couple of weeks ago I borrowed some from Steve Schubert for one of my lunchtime Star Wars games.

Now I want some, only you can't get them anymore. :(

Wrathamon

Adventurer
I bought a set awhile ago and then gave it away as a xmas gift... I went to the webpage to buy new ones and they were no longer in production :(

Lucky for me I talked to the guy who ran the site a year later and he said he had some "rejects" that he would sell to me. I was able to get 12 and they work well enough.

Remove ads