Tactics class. Begin now.

LuYangShih

First Post
Grundle said:

:confused: Am I mistaken in thinking that a low-level wizard would need to make a caster-level check in order to use a wand containing a spell higher than he/she can cast?

If my recollection is correct, this technique leaves a chance for failure.

That does not apply to Wands or Staves, only Scrolls.

der_kluge

Adventurer
There is a psionic power of Mind Switch, I think. You could cast it on the one you want, and just have whoever took over his mind tell the rest of the party "Hey, I'm gonna run into town for a sec, I'll be back in a bit"

But he never comes back. :)

Forsythe

First Post
Cursed items...

One of my personal favorites...

Intelligent weapons with motives...not even necessarily cursed. Then the fighter gets hit will a poison attacking charisma or wisdon/intelligence....the end result....the PC walks off to accomplish the mission of the item....and since SOOO many weapons are supposed to be intelligent in 3E this is very easy to arrange.

enjoy

Forsythe

Enceladus

First Post
and since SOOO many weapons are supposed to be intelligent in 3E this is very easy to arrange.

Unfortunatly I made a promise to myself to cut down on ubermagic smart weapons when I started this shindig. I've kept it so far, I'd hate to stray now.

But great idea!

Fenes 2

First Post
Fortunately, I have no problems with my players when it comes to kidnapping - they don't usually fight to the death unless the character concept warrants it, and the players don't go all-out to prevent a kidnapping.

Good methods to kidnap PCs include:

- Hold person
- Poison, especially sleep poison like the drow use (Although some PCs will resist the poison)
- Charm/Dominate Spells
- Guile (It is impressive how far a PC will lower his or her guard when it comes to the bedroom. Some kinkier PCs looked forward to getting tied up. Another fine trick was the halfling disguised as a little girl, crying due to a scratched hand, asking the big bad fighter to "kiss it and make it better" - and when he bent down, wham, blinding powder in his eyes, and out came the poisoned dagger. Just telling them to enter a room and wait there, and then lock the door works as well as long as the door and walls are sturdy enough to prevent escape. And there was the day our group met with a prospective employer in the baths, naked and without weapons, and it turned out to be an ambush.)
- Direct Damage spells with the subdual substitution feat applied to (Fireball them into unconsciousness).
- Big bad Monsters that grapple and Pin, with a couple henchmen to tie the grappled PC up (after stripping them of everything).
- Strange magical puzzles (I once had a door that required the removal of all riches to pass it - the PCs stripped down to undergarments to enter, leaving a hired ranger to guad their stuff, which turned out to be a traitor. Could have been a magical prison as well.)

In order to prevent untimely escapes or suicide attempts, kindly remove everything useful from the captured PCs. In my campaign, this often includes any clothes - you never know what might be hidden in the seams of the undergarments of a rogue.

And if you really want to play hardball, make the bad guys use the gear of the PCs, don't have it stored next to their cells. My PCs were once very ticked off when they lost a fight and discovered that their expensive healing potions had been used by the enemies to recover, and that their gear was already distributed among the survivors ort sold off.

nameless

First Post
I'm going to go in a completely different situation and say don't even have them trade blows. Make them surrender to the foes that they could probably kill, on account of threats they can't overlook.

I don't know what ongoing plot hooks you have dangling, but the villain would have [stolen/kidnapped] [plot device X] that the PC's can't get on without. If there is no suitable [plot device X] then introduce one and then have it be [stolen/kidnapped]. Demand the party lay down their weapons and go peacefully or "the girl gets it" to use a cliched phrase.

But don't have the "girl" be present. The [plot device X] must be threatened but in a secure and unknown location. Even powerful groups of heroes can be shanghai'd by this tactic, since they can easily protect themselves, but there are many people out there who are important and can't be watched 24/7. That's the drawback to being a hero. You have to stand up for all the folks who can't stand up for themselves.

Marimmar

First Post
You could also use 2 level 10 rogues with opportunist special ability, improved invisibility and gmw saps. (Who would make magic saps anyway?)

Just sneak up on the party when they are walking down a road, coordinate attacks with your buddy and bring up to four subdual attacks to bear upon the first wizard character during the surprise round. Just make shure to attack with Rogue #1, opportunist strike with Rogue #2, opportunist strike with Rogue #1 and if the wizard is still standing, make the regular attack with Rogue #2, otherwise Rogue #2 attacks PC wizard #2. You should be able to win initiative over most of the party and can remove the rest of the low HP characters in round #1. Just make shure to have some low level goons carry off the unconcious PCs. :D As soon as the spellcasters have been dealt with, the fighters won't pose a problem.

~Marimmar

Remove ads