D&D 5E Tactics for dealing with Polearm Masters

clearstream

(He, Him)
For the sake of argument, let's say that creatures experienced with combat have learned and shared tactics for dealing with Polearm Mastery (and sometimes +Sentinel). So what are those tactics? Does the following suggestion work mechanically?

1. Close to 15'
  2. Drop prone
  3. Crawl to 10' provoking OA (at Disadvantage due to prone)
  4. Stand and close to 5'
  5. Attack
Orcs should be great at this tactic, due to Aggressive. Right? Any other tactics (I'm asking here for crunch, i.e. options that work on a grid using the game mechanics, not fluff i.e. ways to hand-wave it.)

I can sort of visualise this as a tribe of Orcs rolling into combat, but that makes me more interested in a Nintendo Platformer Campaign Variant than anything else.

Fanaelialae

Legend
For the sake of argument, let's say that creatures experienced with combat have learned and shared tactics for dealing with Polearm Mastery (and sometimes +Sentinel). So what are those tactics? Does the following suggestion work mechanically?

1. Close to 15'
  2. Drop prone
  4. Stand and close to 5'
  5. Attack
Orcs should be great at this tactic, due to Aggressive. Right? Any other tactics (I'm asking here for crunch, i.e. options that work on a grid using the game mechanics, not fluff i.e. ways to hand-wave it.)

Standing from prone uses half your (total) movement, so you would need to be very close to use that tactic and still attack in the same round, given that the crawl alone uses 20' of movement.

Frankly, the easiest way is to just have someone provoke the attack (even better if they have a card up their sleeve, like parry). At that point, everyone else can move in (or past) without any worries.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?

1. Close to 15'
  2. Drop prone
  4. Stand and close to 5'
  5. Attack

This takes a lot of movement, so probably not an option for creatures without special movement abilities like orcs. If there are multiple creatures, the simplest tactic is probably just to have the first take the OA and then the rest are safe to approach. A more complicated method is for the first creature to take the disengage action and move up to 5 ft, then the second creature approaches so as to gain cover from the first.

But really the best answer is to forget all that and shoot the guy :)

Making sure the person leading the charge isn't someone you like.

So charging in after a line of more disposable troops.

Moving in defensively (Taking the dodge action.) may or may not be effective.

Wearing decent armour and shield.

Readying an action at the beginning of your round to make an attack/disarm attempt against the first weapon to attack you.

clearstream

(He, Him)
Standing from prone uses half your (total) movement, so you would need to be very close to use that tactic and still attack in the same round, given that the crawl alone uses 20' of movement.

Frankly, the easiest way is to just have someone provoke the attack (even better if they have a card up their sleeve, like parry). At that point, everyone else can move in (or past) without any worries.
The crawl uses 10' of movement (closing from square 3 to square 2 i.e. by 1 square or 5'). Then stand using 15' and close using remaining 5'.

Mephista

Adventurer
Give them bows or slings. Enough of an HP buffer to charge then knock down / grapple / etc the spearman. Waves of enemies, since the spearman can't React more than once a turn.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Take the hits, get up close to Polearm Master and then Disarm (DMG, page 271). Have one monster Help the other to offset the disadvantage from the Polearm Master wielding the weapon with two hands.

Dausuul

Legend
So, your combatants are experienced and disciplined enough to have evolved tactics for dealing with specific feats like Polearm Master?

In that case, they should have no problem: They use their ranged weapons. Not having a ranged weapon is N00b Mistake #1 in D&D, and such veteran combatants would never, ever make it. If they're Strength-based melee warriors, that's what the javelin was invented for.

Remove ads