• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tactics - how would you represent this

Beholder Bob

First Post
I've got a war mage who spent skill points on a skill, tactics.

There is no skill currently that duplicates what I'm looking for - training in military tactics. Any suggestions, current rules, or ideas?

Currently, they are just a waste of skill points on my sheet, which is ok, but I'm curious, what would you do with it?

B:]B

Sadrik

First Post
I have this skill in my game:

Tactics (Int) Trained. You can detect ambushes, set ambushes, create diversions, and command troops on the battlefield. If you have 5 or more ranks in this skill it gives you a +1 leadership for the purposes of Leadership feat.

You can use spot or tactics to oppose an ambush.
Create a diversion is like the bluff skill use.
Command troops is more of a roleplay thing, no set rules.

Beholder Bob

First Post
Sadrik said:
...You can detect ambushes, set ambushes, create diversions, and command troops on the battlefield....You can use spot or tactics to oppose an ambush.
Create a diversion is like the bluff skill use...

Do you substitute a tactics check to spot/listen and hide/move silent in those circumstances?

B:]B

Sadrik

First Post
Yes. Although you dont necissarily "spot" it. You "sense" all the signs of it. And a well planned ambush is just as good as a hide check (of course only in that specific situation).

The benefit with a tactics check is you hide your whole group on one roll rather than have everyone roll individual hide checks. It also gets around armor check penalties.

I suppose those who feel they could do a better job of hiding themselves could do it themselves.

No one has ever taken the skill so I have not worked all of the details yet. But it is in my game.

BTW in my game I also use sneak and awareness skills basically combined spot and listen and Move silently and hide.

genshou

First Post
kanithardm said:
I use Knowledge(tactics) for mass combat nd things Sadrik described.
Already covered by Knowledge (War), which should be a class skill for Fighters IMHO.

There's already been a thread about a tactics skill recently, but my thread search can't seem to locate it (being a community supporter is very nice :) ).

With a Knowledge (War) check, you could identify weak points in an opposing force's strategy (thus allowing you to use that knowledge to exploit that weakness), identify locations which would be advantageous from either an offensive or defensive perspective, identify a location well suited for an ambush (IMC, granting you a +2 bonus on Spot or Hide checks relative to ambushes in that area), know which tactic would be most effective in assaulting a stronghold, or many other factors. As with any Knowledge check, the DC is dependent on the complexity of the knowledge you are checking for. Knowing that higher ground is advantageous or that cover is good for avoiding attacks are both no-brainers. Noticing a fair ambush location would be common knowledge (DC 10). Figuring out the best place to sap a stronghold's walls, knowing the way to most effectively use a catapult to damage but not destroy a stronghold you wish to capture, or noticing the specific types of strategy used by your enemy, would have higher DCs.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads