• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Take a feat get armor prof... no drawbacks?

Evenglare

Adventurer
A wizard could take the feat the get an armor proficiency (heavy?) . And basically have no drawbacks?

Also , did we ever find confirmation about the total powers known, do not include race powers / feat powers, etc ... Cause total.. and then having more than total.. kinda weird.

Last edited:

Andur

First Post
Well except for either the skill check, movement, or both penalty that all Heavy Armour provides, yes.

However, given even Cloth armour only provides a 15% difference in being hit vs. AC with a 20 in Int or Dex, 20% for an 18, and that is versus Plate, I don't think many Wizards will waste the feat.

Lizard

Explorer
Evenglare said:
A wizard could take the feat the get an armor proficiency (heavy?) . And basically have no drawbacks?

Other than the loss of a more useful feat, yeah.

If you're building a swordmage, it makes sense.

Otherwise...you still have very few hit points. If you're where the armor can do you any good -- in melee range -- you're going down, as the small armor bonus won't help you THAT much compared to the extra damage you'll be taking. Unless you've spent other feats on increasing your melee ability, you're not going to be more effective up close and personal -- indeed, you'll be risking OAs when you use a lot of your spells (all those with 'range' or 'area' keywords), and armor or not, more attacks==more hits. Since you have at-will spells, your need to be in the thick of the fight is less.

Basically, yes, you can, but why do you want to? Is it the best choice you can make, if swordmage-type isn't your ultimate goal? (And if that IS your ultimate goal, well, good.)

Xefas

First Post
Evenglare said:

Actually, he'd spend 4ish feats on getting basic heavy armor (not full plate).

And then when he wears it, he won't get his Intelligence bonus to his armor class, like he does when he wears light armor.

Cadfan

First Post
Umm. There's a drawback. Murderous prereqs (for a wizard), and the fact that you have to take the armor profiencies in order, by type of armor. So Leather, then Hide, then Chain.

Also, because Int adds to AC just like Dex does, going for heavy armor is probably a poor decision. The Wizard would be better off stopping at Hide, because Hide armor allows him to use his Int bonus. Chain does not. Chain is +6 AC, and Hide is +6 +Int AC, which is likely to be better.

That being said, I think that Armor Proficiency: Leather is going to be a popular choice. It gets you +2 AC in exchange for a single feat, with no skill penalty. The only real disadvantage is that you probably won't then be wearing higher level wizard clothing items.

FireLance

Legend
Cadfan said:
That being said, I think that Armor Proficiency: Leather is going to be a popular choice. It gets you +2 AC in exchange for a single feat, with no skill penalty. The only real disadvantage is that you probably won't then be wearing higher level wizard clothing items.
Just retrain the feat when that happens. ;)

malraux

First Post
Evenglare said:
oops, i just looked and as a wizard you'd waste like.. 6 feats just to get plate.
Don't forget the stat prereques either. I'd be shocked to see a straight wizard with 15 in str and con.

Valerion Steele

First Post
with 3 armor proficiency feats a wizard can wear plate!!
but with a high int hide is the better choice...
wiz with plate : 18 ac
wiz with hide and 20 int : 18 ac
but hide costs 2 feats.... i´d rather spend one feat for leather and would still have a 17 ac with 20 int...

Remove ads