• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Take a stand! LotR vs. GoT

Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones?

• Lord of the Rings

Votes: 43 62.3%
  • Game of Thrones

Votes: 26 37.7%

• Poll closed .

ssampier

First Post
So, are you saying just nuke Westeros and Middle Earth from space? (You know, just to be sure and all...);):p

Post apocalyptic Middle Earth and Westeros?

I think a mutant oliphaunt would be awesome.

I have a feeling that the Others would survive and thrive in Westeros with the onset of nuclear winter....

Descartes

Explorer
I went GoT for now because while not complete it is more detailed IMHO. But to compare the two in my eyes is like comparing a Model T to a 2011 Mustang. I'd rather drive the Mustang but every car built since the Model T owes some sort of nod to it.

Tolkein did something that was not widely done at the time and drew inspiration from mythology, environmental issues of his time (still relevent today), and his personal experiences in WWI.
Martin on the other hand draws inspiration from Tolkein and many other authors, history (the war of the roses), and his experiences as a screen writer.

The result is that both are original and thoroughly entertaining. Maybe its more a choice of Chinese or Vietnamese. You can be sure some sort of rice or noodle is going to be involved it just depends on what you're hungry for.

Morkul

First Post
neither. ive never read Game of Thrones and I am more into pre-Tolkein fantasy. Tolkein's work doesnt hold a candle to that of Lord Dunsany, E.R. Eddison, A. Merritt, Lovecraft or Mervyn Peake...

Morkul

First Post
I went GoT for now because while not complete it is more detailed IMHO. But to compare the two in my eyes is like comparing a Model T to a 2011 Mustang. I'd rather drive the Mustang but every car built since the Model T owes some sort of nod to it.

Tolkein did something that was not widely done at the time
and drew inspiration from mythology, environmental issues of his time (still relevent today), and his personal experiences in WWI.
Martin on the other hand draws inspiration from Tolkein and many other authors, history (the war of the roses), and his experiences as a screen writer.

The result is that both are original and thoroughly entertaining. Maybe its more a choice of Chinese or Vietnamese. You can be sure some sort of rice or noodle is going to be involved it just depends on what you're hungry for.

pulp magazines back then were full of fantastic stories drawing from mythology. by the time Tolkein wrote his books, the heroic fantasy genre was 50 years old, dating back to William Morris in the 1890's. it had been done before, and better...

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
...by the time Tolkein wrote his books, the heroic fantasy genre was 50 years old...
I'm not disagreeing with your view on the writers you mentioned, but how are you defining heroic fantasy there? There are stories I would place there that are thousands of years old.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads