• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Take a stand! LotR vs. GoT

Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones?

• Lord of the Rings

Votes: 43 62.3%
  • Game of Thrones

Votes: 26 37.7%

• Poll closed .

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Yeah. Drinking tends to bring out the Cthulu in me too.;)

(Actually it doesn't, but it made for a decent joke. Drinking tends to actually bring out the Robin Williams in me...:D)

Morkul

First Post
Yeah. Drinking tends to bring out the Cthulu in me too.;)

(Actually it doesn't, but it made for a decent joke. Drinking tends to actually bring out the Robin Williams in me...:D)

Ahhh! I am quite agreeable with myself after a few pops off the ol' hooch bottle too!

i enjoy drinking in moderation, but if i drink too much at once, i get very antisocial and want to crawl back to Sunken R'lyeh to finish my booze...

AeroDm

First Post
Having just finished a Dance with Dragons, I am leaning more towards LotR. I think the first three Song of Ice and Fire books are phenomenal and then fame started to catch up with GRRMartin and allowed him to push his editor over. They got real wordy real fast. That isn't to say that LotR isn't wordy, but it is a different sort of wordy. Tolkien evolved the setting with his wordiness while Martin evolves the scene with his. Setting trumps scene, and so scene gets annoying quicker.

IronWolf

blank
Wow! How did I miss this the first time through?

Definitely Lord of the Rings, without a doubt. I enjoy Game of Thrones and it is certainly a good series, but Lord of the Rings still stands well above it in my opinion.

Gronin

Explorer
Lord of the Rings -- absolutely --no doubt whatsoever.

Lord of the Rings, as has been said before, was my first and it is the one I go back to. I will find books that have one aspect or another that beats Lord of the Rings but very rarely do I find a book (or series) that I like more and Game of Thrones is certainly not it.

Lord of the Rings is comfortable -- it fits well. I read it and I feel good at the end. Lord of the Rings led me to gaming.

Game of Thrones is well written and I enjoy the story, the setting and the characters (all though in many cases not for long) but I am not sure it knows where it's going -- frankly it may be a case of taking too long to get to the point. Just because Wheel of Time series (which I have started to read several times and never made it past the fifth book) stretches on into infinity doesn't mean it is a good idea. In fact it has been my experience that the longer the series the less it holds me. (As an another example I present L. Ron Hubbards "Mission Earth" series).

I guess what it comes down to is Lord of the Rings and I have a love affair that goes back a long way and while a nice set of young legs can get me to look I still go home for dinner. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads