Take Me Down To Freedom City

Many comic book universes have undergone a revamp that updates heroes and clears out any complex continuity. The New 52, Rebirth, All-New All-Different Marvel: the list goes on. Now we see the pre-eminent super-hero game get a similar treatment with Green Ronin's Freedom City 3rd edition for the Mutants & Masterminds game. Is this the perfect jumping on point, or do changes make things difficult for users? Read on and find out!

Many comic book universes have undergone a revamp that updates heroes and clears out any complex continuity. The New 52, Rebirth, All-New All-Different Marvel: the list goes on. Now we see the pre-eminent super-hero game get a similar treatment with Green Ronin's Freedom City 3rd edition for the Mutants & Masterminds game. Is this the perfect jumping on point, or do changes make things difficult for users? Read on and find out!

Coming to Freedom City from a perspective of someone who used the old edition so much it's falling apart, I can still find lots of reasons to buy this book. The first section is totally devoid of secrets and I can hand it to my players as a sort of guidebook if I need to, which is amazing. It involves a complete timeline of events in the Alpha-Prime universe that folds in information uncovered in a host of books published since second edition (noticbly Golden/Silver/Iron Age and Worlds of Freedom books) giving a reasonable 300 years of a superhero universe timeline that you can model/steal/adopt as necessary. It also ties some things together and updates various characters so they feel more of a tight unit.

City books are always a complex prospect for the superhero GM. Given that most superhero settings are homebrew, it's often about what is adaptable, in which case this book wins in spades. A number of well thought out lair maps, villain profiles and conspiracies, it's a very well held together book that you can dip in an out of when you need it. It has tons of pictures of the sort of people you might not have thought too hard about before sitting down to run (Prison wardens, Local politicians, Club owners, Charities, Reporters) which means in play you can just turn to a picture and go 'this person' which adds a weight to unpowered NPCs. Little touches like that really help.

As a veteran M&M player, I found the villains section has a few problems. If you've been playing the game since the second edition came out near on a decade ago, some of these characters have grown in separate ways. An example without spoilers: There's a character called Toyboy who has featured in my game as a corporate villain and evil genius. In the book however he's gone a different, more occult, route. So the content is definitely less usable to me. The utility will largely depend on how involved the continuity of your particular universe is. Some of these characters have undergone a much needed update. I can't wait to run another game with modern takes on people like Doc Holiday. There are also a number of new and legacy villains in the book, which I'm glad take the place of existing characters. If you have a long running game, then new ways to expand on existing concepts are always welcome.

For people new to the setting, the same section is going to be a revelation of good concepts and ideas, all of which come with a series of hooks or mini adventure ideas for involving the villain in the characters lives. This allows you to plan a game that is relevant to the player characters pretty quickly, which lends that 'lean heavily on backstory' comic book feel.

While a few missing/hard to find bits of information may disappoint a few long time fans of the game's univers (Where is Malador? What happened to Sonic?), this book is a much needed and fun update. If you're looking to start a new issue #1 or reboot of an ongoing title, it's worth getting hold of.

contributed by Benjamin Jackson

Atlatl Jones

Explorer
Good review! I'm surprised you didn't mention just how many awesome supervillain and villain group write-ups there are in the book. The city and NPC details are nice, but it's the plethora of solo villains, groups, and conspiracies that make the setting shine.

Benji

First Post
OK, say I wanted to start up and get going as GM for MM, what do I need to get for myself and players? I've been wondering this for a while as the system has gotten rather old, not sure what current is for it.

Sketchpad did a great job of answering this, for some reason I see/give XP for it, feel free to do it for me.

A world with superheroes during the XX century had changed radically. What if a speeder could go and come back from East Europe to report the Holodomor (Ukranian terror-famine) or Mao lost the Chinese civil war? What if we are visited by a friendly alien civilitation who teachs us the secret of eternal youth ("sorry, now we don't hire new workers because our best employers aren't going to retire") and the ectogenesis (children born in artificial uterus)? Could you imagine the 60's years without the "free love revolution" because the youngest generations know vampires are real and they are affected by faith? Or a country where robots/androids could vote in political elections, and then the multinational companies create their own "army of voter-bots". What if the Egyptian pantheon come back from the past, and they start a new war again the pre-islamic middle east pantheons, or the fay lords allied with the titans againt the Olympus. Or the world receiving "refugees" from a parallel earth what is suffering a zombi-apocalypse+machines rebellion (like the "Fall" from Eclipse Phase rpg).

The best bet if you have all these ideas is to use a framing reference of a time travelling team who are encountering all these alternate timelines and putting them right. The 'Freedomverse/Alpha-Prime' world have a few organisations that would ft this role.

Either way, this examination of timelines undermines what you said earlier about 'most' people wantintg to play in existing DC/Marvel universes.

Do you remember the superheroes RPGs "Brave New World" and "Aberrant" ( + "Adventure!")

Yes. Aberrant-verse also involved Trinity/Aeon.

Most of roleplayers are young adults in the years of university, and then they haven't got a lot of money to buy all the books. Later they have enough money, but not time to play, or friends with, and only they start to play again with their own children, but games with simpler rules. I see two types of rpg sourcebooks, about background and "crunch" (powers, item, merits and flaws, feats...). Sometimes the books of background are read once only, and even the lore from previous editions are enough. If a fan buys a book, there is a reason because the pdf isn't enough for him.

Again, you've said 'Most' without any quantifier or evidence. This is not my experience at all. But our experiences don't outweigh each others. We must look to outside evidence to support claims. I'm not even sure what point you are making. You seem to have asked a bunch of questions then answered them twice with your own evidence. Am I missing something?

I'm surprised you didn't mention just how many awesome supervillain and villain group write-ups there are in the book. The city and NPC details are nice, but it's the plethora of solo villains, groups, and conspiracies that make the setting shine.

Part of that is the word count requirements. Also that I think a lot of superhero city books have a lot of supers write ups, I chose to focus on what makes it different/worthwhile to people who have the original. But you are correct. This universe is so massive now it's untrue and the quality of it's lore it's pretty spot on.

I am Spanish, and here in Spain RPGs aren't so popular. Our "golden age", the years of World of Darkness and D&D 3.5 ended and younger generations would rather videogames.

* Of course, we could imagine something like a timecop.... but what if there are other crononauts factions? For example an alien civilitation who thinks Earth is a menace, or a crazy Lovecraftian cult who doesn't worry about temporal paradoxes. And if you don't travel throught time, but only visit a different timeline? For example one who suvived H.G. Wells' War of Worlds. Would you allow them reach the nuclear age when their minds are still in the XIX century with crazy imperialist dreams? Let's imagine a 50's Northamerican being "explored" by time-travellers like the PCs from "Eclipse Phase RPG" (something like the videogame "The Bureau: XCOM declassified).

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads