• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Take the HackMaster Challenge

Ulric

First Post
(also, a note on the complaints about the $7.00 shipping fee... the shipping label on my copy read $7.20, so i sure as hell won't complain about kenzer and co. speding twenty cents to send me something. huzzahs!)

I just got mine too. The shipping fee on mine said $9.10. So, thanks Kenzer. The free book offer is greatly appreciated.

I'm new to Hackmaster....a quick look through....I'm pretty impressed. I'll be picking up the Player's Guide too.

Thanks again.

Jolly_Blackburn

First Post
Asmor said:
Just got mine today...

It's certainly... over the top. Delightfully so. Some of the first things I saw were the voluminous encounter tables, the critical hits rules which I haven't read but which include 5 full-page anatomical illustrations, the math for calculating the party alignment, and the alignment tracking circle...

I really find myself wondering... Is this for real? I mean, obviously, yeah, it is... But do people really play with all these rules? They seem like they should work on paper, but it also seems like they were written just so you could say to a friend "Dude, check out this critical hits section!" and show him the skeletons, musculatures and organs..

The Critical Hit charts/system is actually a very cool part of the game. Most groups I'm aware of use it. It's nice to know you just shattered the hip of that Ogre you're fighting and goes down. ;)

As for all the rules and subsets -- it's like AD&D.

Depends on the group.

Does everyone use the Encumbrance rules in AD&D? Weapons Speeds?

I played for years opting for common sense rather than using the actual encoumbrance rules. It's the same for HM. Some players use all the rules. Other pick and choose.

There are also tools like the HM Toolkit and the HackMaster Combat wheel that greatly reduce the need to know all the rules or that help makes things run quicker.

PhantomNarrator

First Post
Long time player and GM

Hackmaster simply kicks ass. People who bad mouth it are usually twinks who can't handle how lethal it is. Screw 'em. That's what separates the men from the boys.

HiLiphNY

Explorer
PhantomNarrator said:
Hackmaster simply kicks ass. People who bad mouth it are usually twinks who can't handle how lethal it is. Screw 'em. That's what separates the men from the boys.

You are my hero.

theemrys

First Post
Ottergame said:
Still eagerly awaiting my book. :)

Me too... I'll have to see if I can slip out of work early to see if it is in the mailbox... :) Otherwise, I'll have to hold my breath until Monday (no mail delivery in Canada on weekends... stupid Canada Post! :p)

mhensley

First Post
Jolly_Blackburn said:
There are also tools like the HM Toolkit and the HackMaster Combat wheel that greatly reduce the need to know all the rules or that help makes things run quicker.

Was the combat wheel ever in stores? I don't think I've ever seen it.

Remove ads