• Neutral on classes, prefer 4E

Votes: 43 22.5%
  • Neutral on classes, prefer 3E

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • Neutral on classes, edition neutral

Votes: 10 5.2%

Drowbane

First Post
I enjoy most classes. It'd be alot easier to type which I dislike... two prime examples being the bard and paladin.

I loathe 4e.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I prefer nonspellcasters, the only spellcaster I liked was the Beguiler (though if it wasn't for its Roguish ways as well, probably wouldn't like it).

That being said as of 4e I extremely enjoy the Warlock and magic-classes now interest me and give me pause to look at them instead of going, "meh" and looking at another nonspellcaster.

Oh, and prefer 4e.

Imp

First Post
My preferences are pretty complicated, but I much prefer the class system in 3e, and I generally prefer non-spellcasters. Mainly because, it is in this area that 3e multiclassing works quite well – to the point where, while there are some conceptual holes (the first-level multi-classed character not being supported) it's hard to see what would be an improvement, and the 4e approach totally isn't.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Voted Neutral on classes and pro-3E, but it's really varied over the years.

Unnecessarily long, nostalgic rant:
[sblock]At first, I was new and I stuck mostly to warrior types.
Then I decided to try something that'd require more out of me as a player (no offense intended, meat shield lovers), as in requiring more role playing, more tactical thinking, more fast talking, forseeing problems and/or mitigating them when they occur. Of course, I mean the Rogue class (and to a lesser extent, the Bard). The guy the party expects to cover everything other than the respective things each character chose to focus on. At least until the batman wizard gets a chance to rest, if the party has such a figure (IME, most did not). And I really love that role. Especially with UMD, being able to asically pick up and use nearly anything the party finds.

Eventually, I tired of playing Rogue so much and decided to give spellcasters a shot. More like the party at the time needed an arcanist and i figured I'd cover it. Made me realize just how amazingly a wizard can control the battlefield. My favorite caster (homebrew int sorcerer, or "Black Mage") re-shaped the terms of battle so effectively, the other players affectionately dubbing his role in the party to be "removing all semblence of challenge from a fight." I didn't care about directly dealing death, leaving that for the party, instead focusing on making every single turn I got swing the battle in our favor as dramatically as possible.

Later still I got to play a kinky exalted VoP Druid focused on "bondage" type spells, and a crass, foul mouthed, foul smelling dwarf cleric who was both a great scholar and loved to forge his own arms and armor to use in battle (even refusing to take superior enhancement items when found). And well...CoDzilla is as fun as advertised.

Right now, after all the fun I've had with spellcasting variety and "jack of all trades" rogues, I've been focused on bringing that joy and wealth of options to the warrior classes I first played. Tome of Battle helps a lot for this, but my best example was a feat rogue / barbarian that could do horrendous damage as well as do acrobatics, find traps, perform nearly every special combat maneuver well, use wands, serve as outdoorsman, and more. Kinda cool how I've come full circle.[/sblock]

So yeah, gonna go with "class neutral."

justanobody

Banned
Banned
Loaded poll? It just doesn't cover everything.

For this poll I would have to vote twice to get relatively close to a correct vote...spellcasters with 4th, non with other.

Masquerade

First Post
I voted that I prefer spellcasters, but that's only half true. I enjoy playing gishes. My favorite 3e/3.5 class was the Psychic Warrior, and my favorite 3e/3.5 character was a Bard/Fighter.

I prefer 4e.

joethelawyer

Banned
Banned
one point is missing---if i remember right from another poll, most of us here are dm's. might have been more accurate/telling if it was directed at people who play 75% of the time rather than dm.

presumably, based on some other polls and personal experience, most of us are old fat white guys with some sort of facial hair too. :).

Last edited:

JRRNeiklot

First Post
How about an option for those who prefer a melee class who dabbles in magic, like the ranger, and one for those who prefer neither 3e or 4e? Fwiw, if I had to choose between the 2, I'd pick 3e, but fortunately, there are other games out there.

Remove ads