Take Your First Look At The Upcoming ALTERNITY RPG!

Later this year, Sasquatch Game Studios will be releasing the new version of the 1990s Alternity science fiction roleplaying game. It features a brand new system, and is designed by industry veterans Dave Noonan, Richard Baker, and Bill Slavicsek. The creators have kindly sent along a sneak preview of the upcoming game, which I'm excited to share with you right here. Next week, there will be a 50(ish) page free demo/playtest packet you can download, with a short adventure by Dave Noonan, another by Rich Baker, and a brief rules overview. For now, though, take a look at the preview below!

Later this year, Sasquatch Game Studios will be releasing the new version of the 1990s Alternity science fiction roleplaying game. It features a brand new system, and is designed by industry veterans Dave Noonan, Richard Baker, and Bill Slavicsek. The creators have kindly sent along a sneak preview of the upcoming game, which I'm excited to share with you right here. Next week, there will be a 50(ish) page free demo/playtest packet you can download, with a short adventure by Dave Noonan, another by Rich Baker, and a brief rules overview. For now, though, take a look at the preview below!

Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 11.21.47.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 11.22.00.png

SaveSave

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I was introduced to Alternity via the Gamma World conversion book, and did not like the result. The gritty feel of Alternity's wounds (in particular) clashed with GW's light-hearted over-the-top fun vibe.
On the plus side, this event was what propelled me to the conclusion that "Gamma World is a background, not a rules system."

But I'm willing to look at an Alternity reboot on its own terms, to see if it's something I might try out at a convention before buying books on my own.
I could be pleasantly surprised.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
All I found about getting really hurt was that you take a penalty to your rolls, involving a situation die? Did you find something else?

I meant how 'health' is divided into different boxes too, like minor wounds vs critical ones and how a glass jaw flaw might mean less of the lower boxes, whilst a Survivor might gain an extra critical box etc. That part looked cool. :)

aramis erak

Legend
The element I liked most about alternity was the advancement system... 5+Level XP to advance, giving that many XP to spend upon narrow skills, the various ability purchases...

The task system wasn't so hot, but the advancement system was nice.

I'm wondering if that's being retained.

Rich Baker

First Post
[MENTION=6749732]ClarenceInWonderland[/MENTION] - we're adding a printer-friendly version with no page background to the packet. Should have it in the next day or two.

76512390ag12

First Post
You're right in that I've never actually read a designer say they took inspiration from the Alternity mechanic, but it's obvious that it's one of if not THE first to take into account the difficulty of the task, and adjust the "target" accordingly. Accept, it adjusts the target through the dice steps instead of adjusting the "AC" (DC) of the task. You can see the 2E holdover in the "roll low," but the mechanic that introduces the idea of difficulty seems definitely a basis for the idea of Difficulty Class, only cleaned up.

After we finally saw the 3E mechanic, about a year later I happened across Alternity, and smacked my head at both how obvious the connection, how simple the next step was, but also seeing the genius in the D20 simplicity--something that the arguably clunky Step Dice System didn't include. Although, like I said, that was pretty genius at the time, too.
Megatraveller, DGP

Posted by C4-D4RS on the MetroLiberal HoloNet

Johnny Angel

Explorer
The system was fascinating, but what I really liked was the Star*Drive setting. I'd be a lot more excited to hear there will be more Star*Drive materials coming out.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads