• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Taking '10'.

From what I read from the rules taking '10' requires no more extra time than regular use of a skill. What the rules do say is that there must be no distractions. To me no distractions implies that I'm focusing or concentrating on a given skill to do it better. (thus the +10 skill boost)

My question is, can one take '10' while moving silently and take '10' while hiding at the same time?

Is it possible to take '10' on move silently and not on hiding, while moving about?

My initial thoughts having not been able to find a ruling in the FAQ or books, is that one can only take '10' on any one skill at a time. Having been trained in the military how to stealthily move through a forest, I find it very difficult to concentrate on moving perfectly silent....and do a good job at being hidden. Sure I can pick terrain that would help remaining hidden, but I cant concentrate on the crouching and slinking about when I'm worrying where I'm putting my next footstep, so that I dont make any noise.

Thoughts? Does anyone know where there is a ruling?

P.S. A player of mine brought up a good point where maybe a PC could take '10' to hide....be hidden and then concentrate on taking '10' to spot around himself.

P.P.S. I could also see how trying to take '10' on move silently and trying to hide could classify as a distraction.

hong

WotC's bitch
Taking 10 does not mean adding a +10 bonus to a skill check. It means replacing the usual d20 roll with a flat 10, thus removing any randomness for the result. It's essentially a mechanic for handling situations where a d20 roll would result in excessive variability.

You can take 10 on just about any skill check, unless otherwise stated.

Drawmack

First Post
I figured it this way. Take 10, ten is the baseline. Just like when a character levels the player can decide to roll HP or they can base line. When doing a skill check the player can roll the d20 or take 10.

Artoomis

First Post
Nothing in the rules prevents "taking 10" on two skills at one, hiding and moving silently being a good example.

Its also quite reasonable and within the rules to apply a circumstance penalty to doing tow skills at once like this. A -2 penalty to both skill checks is certainly appropriate.

Last edited:

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Note that taking 10 doesn't mean you are concentrating, it means you're making no special effort. An average person on his way to work will take 10 on his Drive check.

If you can use two skills at the same time, I don't see why you couldn't take 10 on both. In cases where they might interfere with each other, the DM can just assign a circumstance penalty (say -2 or so) to each check).

Lucius Foxhound

First Post
No problem with taking 10 on two skill check. Just remember: you can only take 10 "when the character is not in a rush and is not being threatened or distracted."

So hiding and moving silently would be fine to take 10... but if anyone is looking for you or if you're moving past any danger, you can't take 10.

Taking 10 for hiding would be a rogue lying it wait for his target to come home from work. So he breaks in early and takes 10 for hiding since he knows he has hours to hide.

I can't think of a good take 10 for move silently (why move silently if you're not in a rush and not being threatened?). But I'm sure there's one out there...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads