• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Taking 3.0's 'Sunless Citadel' and making it shorter; need suggestions

Herobizkit

Adventurer
The original Sunless Citadel is one of my favorite adventures of all time, but it's pretty long. By 'long', I mean "most of the time is spent dungeon-crawling" and my players aren't used to those kinds of adventures. They've sort of been weaned on the 4e Encounters style of adventure, and hopping from room to room doesn't seem that appealing to them.

What's more, I'm itching to use this adventure as the launching point for a 5e campaign I hope to run.

What Id like is some suggestions for breaking up the adventure into smaller parts, perhaps, making, say, 2-4 mini-dungeons that the players can explore before delving into the adventure's finale.

Have there been any similar attempts done around these parts, or can anyone offer any insights?

the_David

Explorer
Well, supposedly the ruins used to be a citadel. This would mean that there would have been an entire city at some point, with walls and everything. So you could take the Kobolds and relocate them to another part of the city. Maybe they control a barbican or one of the wall towers. Or maybe they're hiding out in the temple of Ashardalon.
another thing is the crypt. It's in the upper level of the citadel. That's weird, so you'd want to move that to the lowest level, along with the failed dragonpriest. (So possibly a new level below the tree level.) what's left of the upper level could easily fit in a smaller keep, especially if you take out the repetitive encounters. Try something like the keep from the Village of Homlett instead.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads