• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Taking and giving damage...

who should roll for damage?

• player rolls for damage

Votes: 84 97.7%
  • Dm roles for damage

Votes: 2 2.3%

Jackfrost

First Post
Yo guys, I'm dming for a great group of friends when all of a sudden a monster pops out of a corner and slashes at the rouge. The rouge is suprised gets hit and then after initiative rolls, he goes first. He takes out his 2 short swords and attack the monster. he beats the ac roll and gets 2 criticals, (crit for both weapons) he rolls his d6*2 and then his other d6*2. it ends up being 24 damage.

What I think is wrong with that is that my party knows EXACTLY HOW much damage they deal!!!!

If there was a fight at a school, you can see to an extent who is hurt more. BUT WHAT YOU SOUDLN't know is how much exatly you do to the person.

My poll, if i did it right, is to find out from you people about if people should know how much damage they do or the dm rolls and computes the damage.

Victim

First Post
Having the player roll for damage is much faster.

It doesn't matter if you know how much damage you dealt if you don't know how many HP the creature has.

Tsyr

Explorer
I think the point is moot as long as the players don't know how many hitpoints the monster has. The DM taking over roleing damage just wouldn't feel right, as a player. As a DM, I wouldn't want to do it either... too much hassle, for one thing.

Crothian

First Post
The DM has enough to do, so have the PCs roll damage is best. Plus, it gives them the false sense that they matter.

Carnifex

First Post
Oh hell yeah, players always roll damage in my campaigns. It's faster, its easier, you'd be surprised at how sometimes people know whether they've made a solid hit or just a glancing blow, adn if you still have a problem with them knowing how much damage they deal, then remember - they don't know how many hit points their target has! ;)

Jackfrost

First Post
Agreed BUT! listen.

example: A fighter has 1 weapon, longsword that deals 1d8

he could damage somoeone for 1-8, so it would be something to take into consideration for the attacker. This way you wouln't know how much damage was given exactly, but around what might be given, 1-8.

Jackfrost

First Post
about the time thing, there is an easy program C++ that you can do that will automatically consider what weapon what monster what dex and any other modifiers given.

Tsyr

Explorer
I'm still not following.

So what if a player knows how much damage he does? He doesn't know how many hitpoints his target has, so it really doesn't matter. Besides, I think that giving a numerical value is much easier than trying to think up euphamisms for damage... ya know, carp like "It was a mighty blow", "You barely nicked him", things like that... which, anyhow, sorta go back to the whole "Why bother, it accomplishes the same thing in the end" point.

Carnifex

First Post
*looks baffled*

But there are these easy things called dice, and the players roll them, and for those of us who don't know programming languages or C++ or anything it's quite a lot easier.

:D

Zappo

Explorer
Carnifex said:
*looks baffled*

But there are these easy things called dice, and the players roll them, and for those of us who don't know programming languages or C++ or anything it's quite a lot easier.

Tsk. You are so old-fashioned.

Remove ads