Tales from the Ghostsea Chapter 8 Love and Mutiny (Updated 11/05/05)

Tolen Mar

First Post
Chapter 5 A brush with destiny

“The captain’s going to be angry we were late.” Samson remarked.

“Let him be, we had bigger fish to fry.” Charity replied.

The captain’s ship was pulling alongside, grapples were flung across, linking the two, and gangplanks extended. On the far side of the ship, bodies were being tossed overboard. As soon as the two ships were joined, Captain Perri strode aboard. He headed straight for Samson.

“What the hell took you so long?” he demanded.

“Ease off, Cap. We had a tangle with something not far off.”

“Aye,” Orange agreed, “Ottoman, we think.”

“You fought Ottoman?” The captain’s disbelief was evident. “I suppose that would slow you up. It’s amazing you survived, then. Most ships this small are never seen again. How is everyone then?”

“Most of us are okay, Khadija over there got pinned by a trident, but I think she’s all right.”

At the bow of the ship, Charity and the others were going through the pile of loot they brought off the island last night. Kor, thinking he wasn’t seen, started to slip the tablet that one of the scholars had tried to escape with into his tunic.

“What do you think you’re doing?” Charity hissed. “We fought like hell to get that!”

“Shush girl!” Kor answered, looking over his shoulder to see how close anyone else was. “This is important. Give me time to look it over, we can work out the details later. If the cap gets it, he’ll just sell it. Trust me.”

Charity noticed that perhaps for the first time since she had met him, he genuinely seemed excited. He was wide awake, and desperately wanted to keep that piece for himself. He had never acted this animated before. However, before she could say anything, the captain walked up.

“What’s going on here?” he asked.

Charity looked at Kor, saw the panic evident in his eyes, and nodded slightly. “He’s just upset. I found out he has a date when we get back to the Cove. He didn’t want anyone to know about it.”

One of Perri’s eyebrows lifted. “Is this true, Kor?”

“Um…Well, I...That is to say, what I do IS my business while I’m off the ship. I was just asking her…What type of flowers a possible date might like.” He lowered his eyes, intentionally not looking at Charity.

The captain looked at Kor, then to Charity, then back to Kor. “You mean you wanted…no, never mind. It’s none of my business. Get this stuff stowed below, both of you. And no funny business.”

As the captain walked off, Charity fixed Kor with a glare that seemed to say ‘You’d better make this worth it.’

After seeing what kind of shape Khadija was in, and taking stock of what supplies had been damaged in the two fights, Perri decided that the crew should go ashore. The town nearby was small, and named Millerton. They were to go get some replacement supplies, including whatever Lorenzo needed to treat Khadija’s wounds. Of course, Khadija wouldn’t listen to the doctor, and insisted on going as well.

An hour later, the group came to an area that seemed perfect for an ambush. Tall grass to one side, a steep, boulder strewn hill on the other, and half a dozen tough looking thugs across the road.

The tallest one, a lanky looking fellow, raised a hand in greeting.

“You there!” he shouted. “We represent the Dema guild. We own these roads. 4 silver to pass by.”

“For that price, we can just take the scenic route and avoid the roads.” Charity answered.

“You could do that,” came the reply. “But you’d be a fool. They say the dead walk here.”

“What harm could come of us not using your road?”

“Try it and see.” He smirked. “Our price is only 4 silver. Or perhaps...” He looked over each of the women of the group. “A few minutes with each of you, and we’d waive the fee.”

“You’d have to take that up with the others. I’m not interested.”

“Maybe you’d better just let us by, We’d hate to have to mess up those nice cloaks of yours.” Dunstan growled.

“That was a mistake friend, the Dema guild does not take threats kindly.”

“We don’t have time for this!” Dunstan shouted, then drawing his axe, he charged the group.

Charity, on seeing that a fight was about to break out, dove into the tall grasses, and began to work her way toward the group of thugs. As a result, she couldn’t see what anyone else was doing. She heard swords being swung, and the leader commenting “Heh, you’re pretty good. Surrender, and we could make use of a tough guy like you.”

A moment later, one of the bandits shouted “Hey boss! They got the high ground!”

“Just stay out of the way of that thing, then. Now kill them!”

Based on the sounds of the voice, Charity had gotten behind the group, she took a cautionary look over the tops of the grass in time to see Aoife and Ren up on the hillside shove a large boulder off a ledge. It tumbled down and crushed several of the bandits. Charity chose that moment to spring up out of the grass and attack.

The bandit knew she was coming though, and turned to meet her as she re-appeared. He deflected her attack, and then used her momentum to knock her to the ground. He looks to his leader. “Can I?” he asks with a grin.

“Go ahead, we need to increase our ranks anyway.”

The bandit turned his gaze back to her, his grin widening. His mouth was full of unusually sharp teeth. He lunged at her, aiming to sink those teeth into her neck, and Charity rolled aside at the last moment. She kipped back up onto her feet, ducked his sword slash, and struck back, missing.

After several thrusts and parries, she realized that Lorenzo was flanking with her. “Once again, Ren?” she said smiling, as she dodged aside.

“Seems so.” He answered trying to finish one of the bandits.

Taking advantage of the momentary lull in her concentration, one of the bandits jumped, and she felt her shoulder chill as its teeth found its mark. The things face covered in her blood, it let loose an exultant howl. Charity found she couldn’t move. All she could do is watch as the fight continued.

It didn’t take long. Orange was also bitten, and frozen in place, but once the trick was out of the bag, no one else let them get close enough. Lorenzo was cut down, and then bitten. Eventually, though, Dunstans rage, and Aoife’s tricks hurt enough of the bandits that the rest retreated.

As the feeling slowly returned, and her body began to respond again, she haltingly went to Ren’s side. She didn’t know much about healing someone, but she knew that if he kept bleeding, he could die. She rummaged through his kit, found some bandages, and began wrapping his wounds. Nearby the others were doing the same.

Eventually, Ren awoke. He checked his bandages, then dealt with Charity’s wound. One by one, everyone was bandaged, and the sorry looking troop continued into town.

“Well,” Charity said. “At least we’ll have a good tale to tell the captain.”

As they walked, Charity felt flushed. She attributed it to the fight they had just had and didn’t think any more of it.

As the group neared the town, a patrol found them, took them to an inn. There they were fed, cleaned, and given a place to sleep. It turned out that the Dema guild had been bothering travelers for weeks, and no one had been able to stop them. The group that they had just killed was the most anyone had accomplished since it all started.

Charity didn’t sleep well that night. Her temperature was up, and she was sweating too much. She was tired the next morning, when they bought the needed supplies and made their way back to the ship. It was nearly noon, when Ren laid Charity down on a cot in the sick bay and began watching over her.

She didn’t resist at all, and fell back into a fitful sleep.

Tolen Mar

First Post
The next chapter I couldnt wait on. It was a very appropriate chapter given that next Monday (my usal update time) is Halloween, but it was also a very important chapter for my PC Charity. So without further ado, I present Chapter 6.

Tolen Mar

First Post
Chapter 6 Hunger and Death

Chapter 6: Hunger and Death

Hunger. Burning deep within. Hunger so deep it hurts, it aches. Like a need unfulfilled it continues to bother, continues to burn, insistent that it be resolved or drive one mad.

Charity moaned in her sleep. Lorenzo put down what he was doing, and moved to check on her. When he touched her cheek, he could feel the fever was still there, and getting worse. Lorenzo made up a special drug, the same he’d been giving her since yesterday when the returned from fighting the Dema Guild. He lifted her head, and gently put the concoction to her lips. The burning liquid caused her to cough for a moment, then she fell back into sleep. Ren took up vigil next to her bed, very worried.

Around her, the crew lie dead. As she moved about the ship, she found every one of her friends, their throat torn out like some crazed beast had gotten aboard. She didn’t understand.

“Why me?” she called out into the mist. “Why did they die, but I live?”

There was Khadija, slumped over a capstan, her back ripped to bloody ribbons, as if the beast caught her from behind. Aoife was nearby, her sword arm ripped clean away. Dunstan and Orange…All that was left of them was a piece of the barbarian’s kilt. She went downstairs, the massacre had come here too. Crewmen lay over their hammocks, some still as if they were asleep, as if they did not know their killer had even been there.

She pushed open the door to Ren’s quarters. He was at his desk, laying face down, asleep. There were no tears on his arms or back.

“Oh, Rennie!” she said. “You made it!”

She reached out and put her hand on his shoulder, tried to shake him awake. His hand slipped off the desk, and hung weakly toward the floor, blood dripping off of it.

“No. No, no, no.” She shook her head as if it could clear away the madness, and she pulled on his shoulder, making him lean back in his chair. There was blood everywhere, his throat gone. She backed away, tears stinging her eyes.

The corpse looked at her, and in Ren’s voice, asked “Why?”

At that moment, the hunger hit her. She doubled over from the pain, and that was when she noticed the blood on her hands. It was all over her blouse, her hair was matted with it.

Dead Ren stood from his place, “Why?”

She screamed…

Ren nearly fell out of his chair, he had fallen asleep, and her scream was a horrible shock. Charity was sitting up in her bed, eyes wide in terror. Her hair was matted down because she had been sweating in her sleep. He picked himself up and went to her. When she calmed a bit, she realized where she was, and looked at Ren.

“Ren?” she asked.

“It’s okay, you’re aboard ship. I’ve been taking care of you.” He tried to push her down into the bed. “You need sleep.”

She didn’t lay down, instead she pulled him to her, and embraced him, burying her face into his neck.

“Ren, thank the gods you are here. The dreams, they’re…”

“I know, it’s the fever. You’ll be okay, but you need sleep.”

She still didn’t move, save only to nod. She could smell him, feel the skin of his neck, the strength of his arms. She realized a fire had started to burn within her. She held him tighter, pulling him to her.

“I’m hungry, Rennie…”

Forcibly, he pushed her back. “You’re in no shape for that, you need rest. Here, take this, it will help with your fever.”

He held out a piece of black root, offered it to her. She looked at it doubtfully at first, then with a slight grin, took it. She kissed his fingers as she did so, working her way further and further down.

Ren was getting uncomfortable. He could not deny feelings for her, but she was sick, and he had duties. Nonetheless, he was beginning to take an interest in what she was doing.

Until she bit him. She clamped down with all her strength, and pain flared up his arm.

Khadija appeared at the door, “Ren, I need you to...” she stood aghast at what she saw.

Charity saw her, and hissed at her. Ren, surprised, fell backward, hitting his head on the edge of his work desk.

Charity’s voice took on a low tone, almost a moan as she looked at Khadija and said “I’m huuungry.” Then she leapt across the cabin, feline in her movments. Khadija barely had time to dodge aside, before Charity was out of the room, and on her way on deck.

“Stop her!” Ren shouted.

Aoife, hearing something, rushed for the stairs, sword drawn. It proved useful. The two eyed each other for a moment. Then Charity hissed, and charged up the stairs. Out of reflex, Aoife swung at her shipmate, opening a new wound, and knocking her down the stairs.

“I’ve been waiting for that a long time.” Aoife said.

Together, the three of them got Charity back into the bed, and for safety, Ren tied her down. He set to binding her wounds.

“What was that, Ren?” asked Khadija.

“The fever isn’t getting any better. It’s affecting her mind. Better tell the captain.”

Charity struggled against her bonds, mewled a bit, and fell unconscious.

“Well, at least she’s resting now.” Lorenzo cleared the room. “You can’t help her here. Go back to work. I’ll watch her.”

Khadija looked uncertain, but then shrugged and went out. Aoife, however, stayed behind.

“Are you sure, after all, she got past you once.”

“Yes, she’s bound now. She’ll stay like that till I can cure her.”

“I still don’t trust her.”

“You never did.”

“Hey, I’m not the one who came aboard this ship with a holier than thou attitude. If you ask me, she got what she deserved.”

“It’s not her fault!” Ren shouted. Then, more calmly. “She was raised in an environment where your profession is frowned upon. It’s what she’s known all her life. She can’t throw that away over the course of a week.”

“That doesn’t mean she has to treat me like garbage.”

“Maybe you’re right. But now isn’t the time to discuss it. We’ll be fine, she won’t get out of those ropes. Go make sure they don’t crash the ship.”

Aoife looked at Charity, then turned and left. Ren began to bandage his wounded fingers.

Her unconscious struggles had settled down, and she was truly asleep for the first time since the fight. Ren checked her fever, and found it was going down. Satisfied, he sat at his desk, and too tired to resist anymore, laid his head down. Soon he was asleep.

When she heard his breathing change, Charity opened her eyes. Slowly, carefully, she began to wriggle her way out of her ropes. She could see through the portal that night had fallen. It took her a long time, but she finally freed herself. Carefully, she crept out of the bed, and looked longingly at Ren. She licked her lips. Then she closed her eyes, muttered something barely audible to herself, and began to creep out of the room, hunched over, like some sort of animal.

She could smell people. They were everywhere. Such an array of scents, each one pricked up her hunger more and more. She turned and made her way to the bunk area.

The hammock closest to the door was Samson’s. Inwardly, Charity grinned as she stood to take him. She was no more than a foot from him, when her foot caught on something. It was a tripwire, and several tin cans were pulled from a shelf, causing a racket. Distracted, she didn’t see Samson wake. He threw his dagger, pinning her heart in one quick snap.

She looked down in disbelief. Her legs refused to hold her up anymore. She stumbled backward into the wall the shelf was on, and slumped down to the floor.

Samson, realizing who it was, started shouting for help. “Lorenzo! Wounded!”

Moments later, most of the crew were crowded around, and Lorenzo had to force his way between them. His eyes were still bleared with sleep, but that didn’t stop him from recognizing her. “Charity.” He whispered, the strength gone out of him.

She looked up at him. “Rennie. I...” she said and died.

“By hells man, what did you do!” Ren glared at Samson.

“I, I just reacted.”

Ren rushed the man, grabbing him by his shirt.

“What the hells did you do!”

“She came at me in the night, I didn’t even see who it was till later. I’m sorry, Ren.”

Ren let go of him, and turned back to Charity’s lifeless form. Bitter tears stung his eyes, as he picked her up. Refusing all help, he carried her back to his room, and shut and locked the door.

The next morning, the ship put to shore nearby, and built a funeral pyre. They laid the bundled form on top of it. One by one, Samson, the Captain and the rest said a few words over her body. Then Ren set the torch to the pile, sending her on her way.

iwatt

First Post
Yeah..two updates in a week.

Nice portrayal of the hunger by the way.

At this rate you're going to catch up with your seesion in no time :D

By the way, I think this has been my favorite chapter so far.

Tolen Mar

First Post
At this point, I plan to keep going as long as I have logs to refer to (which means that as long as I am in the group, Ill keep it going).

Happy Halloween!

Tolen Mar

First Post
Chapter 6.5 A bridge...

Before I write up chapter 7, there are a few things I need to tell you.

As I have been writing this from one Character's point of view, and plan on continuing, there arose a certain issue from the Death of Charity.

Obviously, I had to wait for a new character to be written in.

So there was a good chunk of the next session where I observed the action waiting for my new cue. In that time, the crew loaded their ship back up and made it back to the cove, where they told the captain what had happened.

After the funeral, they divvied up her things, finding a few personal items that bespoke of her noble birth.

Once they make it back to the Cove, Captain Perri gives the group a bit of shore leave, so they can maybe drink Charity off their minds a bit. It is while they are in town that they find out someone has been looking for Perri.

Also, an earlier encounter mentioned by Ren comes back to haunt him when, in a tavern, he is beset by a band of bandits who seem to know him. The crew of course backs him up, and this well dressed stranger steps up to the fight...

Well, Ill get to that part next time.

Oh, and there are a few secrets I have been made privy to. O the things my DM is up to...:)

Tolen Mar

First Post
My apologies for taking so long this week, but I wanted to be sure I got this chapter correct. Look for a full-scale update sometime a little later on today.

Tolen Mar

First Post
Chapter 7 The Baron

Chapter Seven: The Baron

Baron Jean de Seguzzo stood at the bow of the ship as it navigated the narrow entry to the cove. He couldn’t help but note its position. As a baron of Mala, he was part of its military, and he knew that pirates plagued the region. The cove was one hideout he had never before found.

And no wonder, when he thought back on the number of bribes he had to make, the sheer cost of getting someone to give him the information, and the expense of pretending to be someone other than a Mala, he was not surprised. The governors of the cove took their privacy seriously. He was here on more personal business, but once it was resolved, he now knew where to find this hive, and he would come back.

It was just like the woman to leave. The Veranese were very headstrong. The note she’d left all but demanded he come after her. Jean was mystified, as well as angered. After all, life would have been luxurious for her. All she had to do was be beautiful, hang on his arm at parties, and in return she would have enjoyed the wealth of the Seguzzo family. It was true that she came from money herself, but the Veranese were a small family. The marriage was less about love than it was joining their two lands. It would have given him power in the council to make real change, a change that might have freed some of his people from the oppression the council enforced.

He thought back to the lat time he had seen her. He had hand picked her from all of the duchess’ granddaughters because of her appearance. The red hair, the fair skin. Standing next to him in a flowing gown would have projected just exactly the kind of image a rising Baron needed to sway support. She would come back with him, and she would learn to love him. If she didn’t then at least she’d learn to enjoy the life he could provide for her. The two of them would produce heirs fair and strong enough to take what he was doing now and turn the land of Mala into a completely new place.

After the ship docked, Jean spread a few more coin around, asking pointed questions. This place was a mess of squalor, and its stench burned at Jeans nostrils. His noble bearing drew more than one unfriendly glance as he passed, and he knew that more than a few were thinking they would have a chance to take some of his gold, whether he wanted them to or not. If they tried, they would be surprised. His armor was more than a simple protection. It was a sign of his skill, his power, and of his transition to manhood. For generations, the Seguzzo’s passed the art of armory down from father to son. They learned together how to fight in it, until their motions were as smooth as a hind on the meadow. Anyone that tried to pick a fight with him would soon find how much trouble they had raised for themselves.

Nonetheless, the sight of a fully armored man walking the streets was attracting attention. He could only hope that news of his requests were making it to the right ears. No one seemed to remember more than a fragment or two of the woman he was searching for, but with what he pieced together, he learned that most likely, it was a Captain Raymond Perri who had her. Apparently, he had taken her as a slave. Jean did not think that was terribly likely given her upbringing, she would never allow it, but he made it a point to find the ship.

The ship had left port two days ago, and no one knew when it would be back. He was directed to the ‘Blind Sailor’, a tavern not far from the docks. He was told that Perri’s crew often went there after a voyage to relax. Jean paid for a room at the inn across the way and began to wait.

Every night he would sit in the back, and watch the patrons come in and out. A few times he would stop one of them and ask his questions, but aside from what he already knew, he learned little.

“Aye, I know’em.” One half blind patron said one night. “He’s got this one woman whorin’ herself out for coin. Everything she makes, he gets. She’s a real beauty that one. Got to say I took advantage of her…’services’ more than once.”

Disgusted, Jean paid for the man’s drink and left him behind. He could hear the man shouting out crude details of a late night’s adventure. Perri had a lot to answer for.

On the fourth night, as Jean was about to give up and retire to his room, a small band of favorites wandered in. A handsome young man, a bruiser of a barbarian, two lithe women, one looking like a desert traveler, the other with exotic looks, plus one more man, who carried his sword on his hip. They were regulars, the others in the tavern shouted their greetings. The young man separated himself from the group. He sat at the bar drinking alone. The rest found a table, and, looking morose, also began to drink.

At the bar, the young man and the barkeep exchange a few words. The bartender pointed at Jean, and the young man looked around. Jean knew then that these were the people he was looking for. He was about to stand and introduce himself, when another band entered the tavern. They were a mixed bunch, all them wiry, none of them well cleaned. They carried an assortment of weaponry. They looked around, spotted the man at the bar, and surrounded him. Jean watched. If a fight broke out, he would learn how they fought, always good information to have.

“This the one?” the biggest asked.

“Yeah, boss, he’s the one that tried to steal from me.”

“Grab him, take him out back and show him what happens to people who mess with the Dema guild.”

The two made a grab for him, and his companions moved to stop them. Daggers came out, as well as swords, and the fight began.

“Not here!” shouted the barkeep. He ducked when a mug flew past his head, and then beat a hasty retreat.

From his vantage point, Jean watched the group fight. The young man was quick, slicing one of the men’s gullets open before either could react. The desert woman, and the exotic sliced into the other small man, blood flying across the room. The big one cursed, drew his own sword and started swinging. Some of the bar patrons fled. Others, seeing brawl beginning, grinned and joined in. In a matter of seconds, virtually everyone in the place was fighting someone.

The crew Jean was watching was outnumbered. They couldn’t give him information if they were killed, so he drew his sword, and stepped up. In two quick slices, he had downed two of the bar patrons, and punched a third in the face with the pommel of his sword. By this time, the young man had gotten up on the bar and was fencing with a few of the patrons. The two women were like whirlwinds as they sliced, dodged, jumped, and somehow managed to not be hit. The others were holding their own as well.

Jean downed another as he waded toward the bar. His blade drove home in the big mans back, and one by one the other fighters surrendered. The fight was over, the tavern a shambles.

“This wasn’t your fight.” The young man said.

“No, it wasn’t. You looked you might need help.”

“We could have handled it. Who are you anyway?”

“I am Baron Jean de Seguzzo, of Mala.”

Behind him, the exotic women and the barbarian both rolled their eyes.

The man held out his hand. “Name’s Lorenzo. That’s Dunstan there, Aoife, Khadija, and Orange.”

Jean nodded at each of them in turn. His eyes lingered overlong on Aoife’s features, but then he turned back to Lorenzo.

“I saw you talking to the bartender.” Jean said. “I think you are the ones I’ve been looking for.”

“Why is that?” Orange asked, looking down from his height.

“I need to speak with your captain. Captain Perri?”

The group exchanged glances. Ren was the first to speak.

“Why do you need to see him?”

“My business with him is my own. He has something of mine.”

Once again, they all looked to one another. Jean could see the distrust in their eyes, but that was to be expected. First he was Mala, and they were pirates, second no one knew him nor he any of them. If he weren’t so confident in his abilities, he might have been worried about putting his life in the hands of such obviously capable strangers.

“Yeah,” Ren said eventually. “We can take you to see him. We should go back anyway. Won’t be many folks who are happy with this mess.”

At the docks, Jean stepped toward the gangplank of the ship. The exotic looking woman, Aoife, was blocking the way. “You don’t go aboard until the captain says you can.”

Khadija ran up the ramp and retrieved the captain. He stepped down to the dock, looked Jean up and down. “Good evening, sir. Can I do something for you?”

“I’d prefer it if we could speak in private, captain.”

Perri looked the crew over, and then responded, “Whatever you have to say to me, you can say in front of them.”

“Captain, I must insist. This matter only concerns myself, you and one other.”

“That’s not going to happen. Either you tell me who you are and what you want, or you go back to where you came.”

Jean sighed. One day, the pirate would get what he deserved. “My name is Baron Jean de Suguzzo, of Mala. Word is that you have slaves aboard. A woman among them. I’ve come to get her. I will pay your ransom if I have to.”

“Slaves?” Perris raised an eyebrow. “Sorry, Baron, closest thing I have to a slave is Aoife there, and that’s just cause her father owes me. You’ve got the wrong ship.”

“I don’t believe I do. Her name is Lady Charity Veranese. She is to be my wife.”

“Charity?” Ren choked. The mood around the baron turned icy.

The captain drew a long breath. “Baron, you are mistaken. She wasn’t a slave of mine. She joined my crew willingly.”

“Willingly?” Jean asked. “You are trying to tell me she wanted to be a…a…”

“A what?” asked Dunstan, stepping forward with a glare in his eye.

“A sailor.” Jean finished. “That doesn’t matter, then, I must see her.”

Perri waved Dunstan down. “That won’t be possible, Baron.”

“Why not?”

“Charity was recently taken. These fellows here were ambushed by ghouls. She…didn’t make it.”

“Dead?” Jean could feel his political plans crumbling around him. He had already wasted too much time tracking her down, when he should have been making his case before the council. Now the whole trip was wasted. “I must have her body. I’ll return her to her family.”

“She had ghoul fever,” Lorenzo told him. “I couldn’t save her. We had to burn the body…” He paused for a moment, trying to hold back tears. “To keep the infection from taking hold of anyone else.”

“I can’t believe this.” Jean said, stunned. “I followed her trail for a month, found this place.”

Perri placed a hand on the Baron’s shoulder. “If it helps lad, she was as much a part of this crew as the rest of us. We all miss her.”

Jean shrugged the man off. “Then I suppose there’s nothing for it.” Jean muttered a few things under his breath, it was almost like he was having a conversation with himself. Everyone watched his odd behavior. Then he turned to face Perri again. “Captain, I would hire your ship. I need to return to Mala as quickly as possible.”

His request came from an unexpected direction. Jean certainly wasn’t showing much remorse. “I… don’t think that’s such a good idea, Baron.”

“Oh, I’ll pay you, of course. I need to take word back to her grandmother of course, and there’s the time I’ve lost…damnit, this is a problem.”

“You can tell he’s broken up, eh?” Ren whispered to Khadija.

Khadija just nodded.

Remove ads