• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tales of the Grey Coast OOC (Recruiting Closed)

A Crazy Fool

First Post
Things to Know Beforehand:
• I will take 4 characters and 4 alternates. They will be selected from your submissions.
• Feel free to ask any question you need to about the setting in the likelihood it’s not here already.
• Please post a class and rough concept first. I will then provide more specific information to help you create a more detailed background (I can’t post everything you need to know here, I’m not a campaign setting book). If you wanted to play a government official, I would provide information on your peers and who is in power. If you wanted to play a thief, I’d describe the thieves Guild’s in detail for you.
• I expect players to post about once per day (within reason, of course). I will do the same.
• Rules are less important to me than creativity and story. If there’s a strange character concept you have and want to play we’ll talk something out.

A Brief Introduction to the Erevan Empire:

The Erevan Empire is an ancient and tradition bound society with an extremely strong magical tradition. Currently, it lays claim to thousands of islands, most with less than 50 miles of sea separating them and their nearest neighbor. The claimed land is equivalent in size to that of both the American continents with a similar population (note that Ad-ter is considerably larger than earth). Unusually, this claim extends north to south rather than east to west, which leads to great diversity in climate and people.

The Erevan Empire is ruled in name by a High Emperor. In actuality, the emperor only directly controls a tiny fraction of this territory. Almost three-quarters of the land is ruled by immensely powerful wizard kings, the Esdah. (plural and singular) Be they enlightened monarchs or ruthless dictators, the Esdah’s rule is absolute and indisputable. More distant or less populated areas are ruled by minor nobles, who owe fealty to the High Emperor.

Character Creation:

• 32 point buy
• Full HP at first level, average rounded up each level thereafter (for example, a roll of 1d6 would be 4 and a 1d12 would be 7)
• Characters start at 3rd level and have the starting wealth appropriate for 4th level characters. No single item may be worth more than 25% of your character’s wealth unless you have a very good reason for it.
• No multicasting penalties (please don’t powergame)
• Traits and flaws from Unearthed Arcana are allowed (with a maximum of two traits and two flaws)
• Most class variants from Unearthed Arcana are allowed (ask me first, though)
• Class skills are generally negotiable if you can think of a good reason why
• I use the following books:
o Players Handbook
o Complete adventurer, warrior, and arcane
o XPH (just note Erevan culture is focused on arcane magic, Psychic characters are strongly persecuted and often killed)
• These Classes are allowed
o All PHB classes except for druid (sorcerers, monks, paladins and barbarians are comparatively rare. Wizards, bards, clerics, spelltheives, and warlocks are all disproportionately more common)
o Soulknife
o Psion
o Psychic Warrior
o Scout
o Spelltheif
o Swashbuckler
o Hexblade
o Warlock
o Wu-Jen (renamed to Elamentalist, replaces the druid)
o Warmage

Common Races:

Human:
Humans make up the majority of the Empire and can be found almost anywhere.

Kobold:
Kobolds on Ad-ter are much more civilized than those described in the MM. Save for a few cults, few have heard of Kurtulmak. As such, they have no quarrel with gnomes. Most live in cities and tend towards a lawful alignment. Kobolds may also treat themselves as tiny when it benefits them (bonuses to hide, AC etc.). This is a WOTC option to put kobolds on par with other playable races.

Gnome:
Because of their knack for magic, gnomes are quite common in the Erevan Empire. They lose their +4 to AC vs. giants and +1 to attacks vs. goblinoids and kobolds and instead can use their spell-like abilities 3/day. Their bonus vs. illusions increases to +4. Gnomes can be found anywhere in the empire.

Elves:
Like gnomes, elves’ long life and natural inclination towards magic make them common in the Empire (though they avoid big cities). Elves do not gain any martial weapon proficiency feats and do not automatically detect secret doors. Instead, they can use detect magic 3/day they also get a +2 bonus to spellcraft checks and may choose one knowledge skill as a class skill at 1st level. Alternatively, they may get a +1 bonus to any one knowledge skill which is already a class skill for their 1st level class.

Half Elves:
Half elves get a +1 bonus to spellcraft in addition to their other abilities. They can be found wherever humans or elves are.

Other Less Common Races (ask me first so we can create an appropriate background)

• Dwarf
• Goblin, Hobgoblin, Bugbear
• Orc, Half-Orc
• Tiefling
• Aasimar
• Half Giant
• Elan
• Other MM races
• Anything else you can think of as long as you ask me first

The Setting and Tone:
The campaign will take place in Greyport (named for the frequent mists), a large coastal city in a tropical climate. The Greyport is surrounded by a dense and hilly jungle. The party will be getting involved in both urban and wilderness encounters and will probably be doing some political stuff too. Characters can be any alignment as long as they aren’t too fanatical (paladins and serial killers are right out, for example), but they will probably be doing some morally questionable stuff, so a character dedicated to upholding good will be in some trouble.

Last edited:

Nazhkandrias

First Post
Well, since I have a lot more time on my hands now, I think I can manage to take on a third game! Well, I was originally planning on a Vermin-based Druid that I've been discussing in another thread, but then I saw that Druids were banned (why is this by the way? Not pushing for a Druid or anything, just curious), so I thought of another option - I've never played a Cleric. *Gasp* And you say that morally questionable acts are alright, so long as they aren't too fanatical... Well then! This seems like the perfect time to throw in a manipulative bastard type of character! Introducing Felix, Friend Of The Devils! Not, not his actual name, but a song reference is hard to pass up. B) Regardless, here he is, with a basic write-up of his abilities. I'll go through the trouble of making a character sheet pending approval of this basic concept.

Felix (might add in title or last name if it seems appropriate)
Male Human Cloistered Cleric 3
Party Role - Mainly focuses on summoning devils, fiends and similar creatures (all firmly under his control, of course). As usual per the Cleric, he will be the primary divine spellcaster, with Cure/Inflict spells up the wazoo (especially the Inflict, since he will be a Rebuke/Commander, but of Outsiders). A lot of skill points and Knowledge levels, too, so expect him to know just about everything.

Abilities - Str 8, Dex 10, Con 13, Int 14, Wis 17, Cha 14
Feats - Scribe Scroll, Rapid Spell, Divine Metamagic
Skills – Concentration 6, Decipher Script 6, Diplomacy 6, Knowledge (arcana) 6, Knowledge (history) 6, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) 6, Knowledge (religion) 6, Knowledge (the planes) 6, Spellcraft 6

Variants Used – Cloistered Cleric, Planar Banishing (both in the SRD)

Future Advancement - Keep going until Cleric 7 is reached, then take 8th level in Thaumaturgist, advancing 5 levels in that, then go Cleric the rest of the way.

So, yeah, as for motivation, basics are all outlined below. Note that he is SERIOUSLY Lawful Evil in alignment, but he isn't the type to sell out the party for a nickel. He seeks to expand his influence, and while he may be extremely manipulative, with motives forever ulterior, he won't be trying to get anybody killed (how would he benefit from that, anyway?). As for the devils, trust me, they'll be under control. The party might ask questions, to which he will have a pre-determined answer to put his own actions into the best light. Doesn't matter if something he does is for "the greater good", so long as it helps him in his bid for power. He's not so big on the abstract concept of evil - he's WAY more pragmatic than that.

So? Any changes that need to be made?

kinem

Adventurer
Herb Vintner, male human rogue 3, CN

Herb is a thief and con man. He's not native to Greyport, having fled there after getting into a little 'misunderstanding' with the law in his home town of Cotton. He's worked as a bartender, a juggler, a member of the city watch, a scribe, and even as a school teacher. He likes the thrill of 'the game' as well as making money 'the easy way' even if 'the honest way' might seem easier.

He realizes the power of magic and has studied some of the theories about it, and has resolved to become a wizard. (Would advance as a wizard, going for arcane trickster.)

s@squ@tch

First Post
The concept I have floating around in my head for an ultimate magus -- the setting has widespread arcane magic, so it seems like a good fit.

Hedowin has been apprenticed to a powerful wizard for quite some time, and his abilities as a wizard have blossomed -- he has a natural gift and affinity for magic. However, he feels that he is on the cusp of something more -- his studies have unlocked something within him, but he is not sure exactly what it is yet.

It feels as if he could almost will magic into being without preparing it beforehand. He has heard tales of sorcerers and whatnot in the realm, but they are quite rare and not one to admit their talents. He has not yet shared it with his master.

Hedowin is fascinated with magic and lore -- everything around him is first filtered for magic, then all other concerns come afterwards. Magic to him is the lifeblood -- he sees it all around him, and it only makes him thirst for more. His aptitudes and abilities have been mentioned at the University, and he is somewhat known as a prodigy. His master believes, incorrectly, that it is all due to his teaching ability, and takes great pride in trumpeting his students successes.

Hedowin would begin as a 3rd level Wizard, then progress to Wizard 4/Sorcerer 1, before starting his journey as an Ultimate Magus (all 10 levels). Feats will primarily revolve around metamagic.

Code:
[B]Name:[/B] Hedowin Darvan
[B]Class:[/B] Wizard 3
[B]Race:[/B] Human
[B]Size:[/B] Medium
[B]Gender:[/B] Male
[B]Alignment:[/B] N
[B]Senses:[/B] Spot: -4, Listen -4
[B]Deity:[/B] 

[B]Str:[/B]  8 -1 (0p.)	[B]Level:[/B] 3	[B]XP[/B]: 4465
[B]Dex:[/B] 12 +1 (4p.)	[B]BAB:[/B] +1		[B]HP:[/B] 13 (3d4+3)
[B]Con:[/B] 13 +1 (5p.)	[B]Grapple:[/B] 0	
[B]Int:[/B] 17 +3 (13p.)	[B]Speed:[/B] 30'	[B]Stat Increases:[/b]
[B]Wis:[/B] 10 -- (2p.)	[B]Init:[/B] +1	[B]Spell Save:[/B] 
[B]Cha:[/B] 15 +2 (8p.)	[B]ACP:[/B] N/A	[B]Spell Fail:[/B] 0%

[B]	Base	Armor	Shld	Dex	Size	Nat	Misc	Total[/B]
[B]Armor:[/B]	10	+0	+0	+1	+0	+0	+0	11
[B]Touch:[/B]	11	[B]Flatfooted:[/B] 10

[B]Spell Res:[/B] None
[B]Dmg Red:[/B] None

[B]	Total	Base	Mod	Misc[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]	+3	+1	+1	+1
[B]Ref:[/B]	+3	+1	+1	+1
[B]Will:[/B]	+4	+3	+0	+1
[B]Notes:[/B]

[B]Weapon			Attack	Damage	Critical	Range[/B]
Dagger     		+0	1d4-1	19-20/x2 	------
Light Crossbow		+2	1d8	19-20/x2 	 80ft

[B]Languages:[/B] Common, Draconic, Abyssal, Elvish

[B]Abilities:[/B]

- Medium: As Medium creatures, humans have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size. 
- Human base land speed is 30 feet. 
- 1 extra feat at 1st level. 
- 4 extra skill points at 1st level and 1 extra skill point at each additional level. 

Wizard Abilities

[B]Feats: [/B] 
L1: Human Bonus: Collegiate Wizard: +2 bonus on Knowledge Arcana checks. At 1st level gain 6 1st lvl spells, each level after, gain 4 new spells.
L1: Wizard Bonus: Scribe Scroll
L1: Wizard Bonus: Call Familiar
L1: Flaw Bonus: Spell Penetration
L1: Extend Spell
L3: Combat Casting

[B]Flaws:[/B]
Inattentive: -4 on Listen and Spot checks

[B]Spells prepared[/B] (Save DC 13 + spell level): 

0 -(4)-  Light, Detect Magic, Read Magic, Daze
1st -(3)-  Mage Armor, Lesser Orb of Fire, Magic Missile
2nd -(2)- Mirror Image, Flaming Sphere

[B]Spellbook/Spells Known:[/B]
	0 - All Cantrips
	1st -(13) Color Spray, Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Identify, Grease, Enlarge Person, Protection from Evil, Shield, Shocking Grasp, Tenser's Floating Disc, Reduce Person, Lesser Orb of Acid, Lesser Orb of Fire
    	2nd -(4) Flaming Sphere, Glitterdust, Mirror Image, Invisibility

[B]Spell-Like:[/B] None

[B]Skill Points:[/B] 36	[B]Max Ranks:[/B] 6/3
[B]Skills		Total	Ranks	Mod 	Misc[/B]
[U]Concentration[/U]  	+7	6	+1	--
[U]Decipher Script[/U]	+7	4	+3	--
[U]Know: (Arcana)[/U]  +11	6	+3	+2
[U]Know: (Religion[/U])+7	4	+3	--
[U]Know: (Planes)[/U]  +9	6	+3	--
[U]Know: (Nature)[/U]  +7	4	+3	--
[U]Spellcraft[/U]  	+11	6	+3	+2

[B]Equipment:		Cost	Weight[/B]
MW Light Crossbow	335gp	4lb
20 bolts   		2gp	2lb
Dagger    		2gp	1lb
Explorer's Outfit	10gp	5lb
Belt Pouch		1gp	0.5lb
Spell Component Pouch   5gp	2lb
Arcanist's Gloves		500gp	--lb
Eternal Wand of Identify	820gp	--lb
Eternal Wand of Shield     	820gp	--lb
Armband of Elusive Action	800gp	1lb
Vest of Resistance      	1000gp	1lb

[U]Backpack 		2gp	2lb[/U]
Spellbook 		15gp	3lb
Sunrod    		2gp	1lb
Chalk (3 pieces)	3cp	0lb
Pen and Ink		8gp	0lb
Paper (10 sheets)  	4gp	0lb
Flask        		3cp	1.5lb

[u]Potions:[/u]
Cure Light Wounds X2 	100gp	--lb
Cure Moderate Wounds X2	600gp	--lb
Bears Endurance    	300gp	--lb
Barkskin +2           	300gp	--lb

[U]Scroll Case with: [/U]           	1gp	0.5lb
Glitterdust (CL3)           	150gp	--lb
Invisibility (CL3)            	150gp	--lb
Grease (CL1)                 	25gp	--lb
Tenser's Floating Disk (CL3) 	75gp	--lb
Enlarge Person X2 (CL3) 	150gp	--lb
Reduce Person X2 (CL3)      	150gp	--lb
Lesser Orb of Fire (CL3)    	75gp	--lb
Lesser Orb of Acid (CL3)     	75gp	--lb
Mage Armor (CL1)          	25gp	--lb

[Cost for all scrolls above (scribed himself) = 437 gp 5 sp and 35 xp]

[B]Total Weight:[/B]25 lb	[B]Money:[/B] 347.5 gp

[B]		Lgt	Med	Hvy	Lift	Push[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B]	26	53	80	160	400

[B]Age:[/B] 19
[B]Height:[/B] 5'10"
[B]Weight:[/B] 154
[B]Eyes:[/B] Green
[B]Hair:[/B] Black 
[B]Skin:[/B] Pale

[B]Familiar:[/B] Ebony (Raven)
Size: Tiny animal
Hit Dice: 3d8 (6hp)
Armor Class: 16 (+2 size, +2 Dex, +2 Natural Armor), touch 14, flat-footed 14
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares), fly 40 ft. (average) 
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 7, Wis 14, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +5, Spot +7
Feats: Alertness, Weapon Finesse, Improved Evasion, 
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, Speech (Common), Empathic Link, Share Spells, Deliver touch spells
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +2 
Full Attack: Claws +4 melee (1d2-5)

Appearance: Hedowin is of normal build for one who spends long hours pouring over ancient texts and magical tomes. His skin is somewhat pale, and his frame is somewhat gaunt.

Personality: He is quite intelligent and there appears to be more beneath the surface. Always one to question, to get the root of any issue, he is more interested in finding out how things, primarily magical, work. He is morally gray for the most part, as to him, the end results justify the means. Hedowin is also known for getting lost in the details, and as a result, he sometimes is caught daydreaming. People often say that he doesn't even know they are in the room, or talking to him, while he is lost in thought.

Background: Hedowin is apprenticed to the mage Flavik, and he has been for 6 years. His parents sent him off to the mage when they realized he was of no use at their tannery, and several locals noticed his aptitude for magic.

The mage took him in and has done a good job of honing Hedowin's work ethic. He spends countless hours pouring over old, musty texts and continually thirsts for more. He has made amazing strides in such short time, and the old wizard feels a great deal of pride in his pupils success. Flavik's own reputation as a teacher has been bolstered by his tutelage of Hedowin. Hedowin's raw abilities manifested quickly, and the old wizard is beginning to suspect that there is not much more that he can teach the boy, but is loath to let him know that.

Hedowin spends the vast majority of his time in the Arcane University's library, where he has bumped into Felix from time to time. Most of the time they get along quite well, as they both have a thirst for knowledge, and they often debate various things -- most often the conversation ends up discussing magical topics. Other times, Felix's worldview can sometimes poison their discussion. Hedowin basically takes Felix with a grain of salt.

Lately, Hedowin has begun to think that there is more to his studies than just old tomes and texts. Spellbooks may not be all that there is to know in order to truly understand magic. He has heard of so called - sorcerers - who channel magic without the need for preparation and study, and he is starting to study the relationship between how the two methods to arcane magic could be linked. Afterall, to him, the end result is the same, the pathway differs slightly, so, in his mind, there must be a link between the two.

Hedowin is beginning to suspect that his master is no longer teaching him of great import -- he is beginning to feel as if he is the dog in the dog-and-pony-show. Not one to like being used or mislead, he is starting to have thoughts of setting out on his own, but is unsure how life outside of the academic world would progress -- so he is studying it.

[sblock=Advancement]
L## -> CLASS ## HP: +## (HD+CON+OTHER) SP: +## (CLASS+INT+OTHER) PP: +## (Class+ATB+Other) [Left out when not needed, also could simply be a new total instead of a bonus]
SKILL +RANKS, SKILL +RANKS
Feat: FEAT(s)
Spells Known: SPELL
Powers Known: POWER
Other: OTHER NOTES
[/sblock]

[D]aa[/D]
Question about the game -- how will you be handling combat, etc -- will there be tactical maps involved in various aspects of the game?

Last edited:

A Crazy Fool

First Post
I'm liking all the concepts here so far. I've got to go to school soon, so I don't have time to post relevant setting details.

The reason there are no druids is a cultural thng. Erevan culture is uhely focused on arcane magic and lore. The Elemantalist (Wu-Jen) serves as thier kind of druid--connected with nature, but using acrance knowledge for that connection.

Maps will be provided for most important combat encounters (if you get mugged, don't expect a pretty map of the area near you). I use them as a rough guideline, but if you all want to move exact distances, I'll number the grid and provide maps updated by round (only if someone can point me to a site that has a lot of free hosting space.)

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
If the map isn't too big, you could always just attach the map to your post and host it here.

If not, Photobucket or Flicker have free hosting space.

Anyways, I'm actually interested in the game too! I have an idea for a gnome wu jen who likes the idea of talking to nearly everyone. Polite and honest, genuinely interested in what everyone and everything has to say, she nevertheless understands the importance of all kinds of communication. Including the kind you have to say with a club. She'll favor the animate wood/water/fire tree of spells. "Say hello to my little friend!"

She favors unusual spells, unusual words, and unusual solutions. She considers herself a troubleshooter for strange problems, and isn't shy about applying the quirky to the mundane.

"If people can't understand the way I know nature works, that's not my problem." Just because she's interested in what people say, doesn't necessarily mean she'll take everyone's advice to heart. She can be terribly stubborn when it comes right down to it. She likes knowing everything, but sometimes she can bit a bit short-sighted when it comes down to doing something with it.

That's kind of the shorthand personality, and here's the longhand version of my character, background to follow. Equipment isn't done, nor are attacks, or spells per day, but this is just a rough draft:

Caramip Raulnor
Female gnome wu jen 3

Alignment: True Neutral
Deity: None
Region:
Height: 2' 11''
Weight: 37lbs
Hair: Rusty Brown
Eyes: Dark Blue
Skin: Tanned

Str: 8 (-1) [2 points, -2 racial]
Dex: 14 (+2) [6 points]
Con: 14 (+2) [4 points, +2 racial]
Int: 16 (+3) [10 points]
Wis: 12 (+1) [4 points]
Cha: 14 (+2) [6 points]

Class and Racial Abilities: +2 Con, -2 Str, Small (+1 to AC and attacks, +4 to Hide checks), Low-light vision, Weapon familiarity (gnome hooked hammer), +4 bonus to saves vs. illusions, +1 to DC of illusions, +2 bonus to Listen and Craft (alchemy) checks, Spell-like abilities (speak with animals (burrowing mammals) 3/day, dancing lights, ghost sound, and prestidigitation 3/day, DC: 13, 14 for ghost sound). Proficient with all simple weapons. Arcane spells, watchful spirit (reroll initiative 1/day), bonus metamagic feat (Sudden Extend), spell secret (Extended scales of the lizard), taboo (cannot cut her hair). Can cast arcane mark, message and comprehend langauges 1/day each due to Communicator feat.

Hit Dice: 3d4+6
HP: 16
AC: 12 (+2 Dex, +0 armor) [Touch 12, Flat-footed 10]
Init: +2 (+2 Dex)
Speed: 20ft

Saves:
Fortitude +4 [+1 base, +2 Con, +1 vest]
Reflex +4 [+1 base, +2 Dex +1 vest]
Will +5 [+3 base, +1 Wis +1 vest]

BAB/Grapple: +1/-4
Melee Atk: -2 (1d4-1/19-20/x2/S, dagger), or -2 (1d4-1/x2/B, quarterstaff)
Ranged Atk: +3 (1d4-1/19-20/x2, P, dagger)

Skills:
Bluff +1 (0 ranks, +2 Cha, -1 Honest)
Concentration +2 (0 ranks, +2 Con)
Diplomacy +4 (0 ranks, +2 Cha, +2 Polite and Honest)
Intimidate +0 (0 ranks, +2 Cha, -2 Polite)
Knowledge (arcana) +8 (5 ranks, +3 Int)
Knowledge (history) +8 (5 ranks, +3 Int)
Knowledge (local) +8 (5 ranks, +3 Int)
Knowledge (nature) +8 (5 ranks, +3 Int)
Knowledge (religion) +8 (5 ranks, +3 Int)
Listen +3 (0 ranks, +1 Wis, +2 Alertness from familiar)
Sense Motive +0 (0 ranks, +1 Wis, -1 Honest)
Spellcraft +10 (5 ranks, +3 Int, +2 synergy)
Spot +3 (0 ranks, +1 Wis, +2 Alertness from familiar)

Feats:
Eschew Materials (flaw bonus)
Communicator [ComArc] (flaw bonus)
Sudden Extend [ComArc] (1st level)
Obtain Familiar [ComArc] (3rd level)

Flaws
Noncombatant (-2 to all melee attack rolls)
Murky-Eyed (double chance to miss due to concealment)

Traits
Honest (+1 to Diplomacy, -1 to Bluff and Sense Motive)
Polite (+1 to Diplomacy, -2 to Intimidate)

Languages: Common, Gnome, Draconic, Elven, Dwarven

Spells [Non-Combat]
0th - detect magic x2, read magic, open/close
1st - animate wood, secret signs, unseen servant
2nd - ice knife x2

Spells [Combat]
0th - detect magic x2, mage hand x2
1st - animate water, animate wood, Extended scales of the lizard
2nd - animate fire, ice knife

Spellbook
0th – arcane mark, dancing lights, daze, detect magic, detect poison, disrupt undead, flare, ghost sound, light, mage hand, mending, message, open/close, prestidigitation, ray of frost, read magic, resistance
1st – animate water [ComArc], animate wood [ComArc], comprehend languages, hail of stone [ComArc], iron scarf [ComArc], scales of the lizard [ComArc], secret signs [ComArc], unseen servant
2nd – animate fire [ComArc], ice knife [ComArc]

Quork - Raven familiar
Tiny magical beast
Hit Die: 1d8 (8 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 10 ft., fly 40 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 16 (+2 size, +2 Dex, +2 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 14
Attack: Claws +4 melee (1d2-5)
Full Attack: Claws +4 melee (1d2-5)
Space/Reach: 2-1/2 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, alertness, improved evasion, share spells, empathic link, deliver touch spells
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +5
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 8, Wis 14, Cha 6
Skills: Knowledge (arcana) +4, Knowledge (history) +4, Knowledge (local) +4, Knowledge (nature) +4, Knowledge (religion) +4, Listen +3, Spellcraft +6, Spot +5
Feats: Weapon Finesse

Quork is a glossy black raven that Caramip befriended two years ago. He speaks Common and has a wicked sense of humor and sarcasm.

Equipment
Spellbook - series of carved and inked wooden and ivory sticks bound together with a web of knotted multicolored silk cords - minor resistant to energy [ComArc]- 1,120gp (5 lbs)
Dagger – 2gp (1/2 lb)
Quarterstaff - 0gp (2 lbs)
Belt pouch 1gp - (1/8 lb)
Traveler’s outfit (Free)
Signet ring - 5gp
Wand of magic missle (1st level) - 750gp
Wand of burning hands - 750gp
Pearl of Power (1st level spell) - 1,000gp
Vest of resistance +1 - 1,000gp
Pony, bit and bridle, riding saddle, saddlebags - 46gp
Backpack – 2gp (1/2 lb)
~Everburning torch - 110gp (1 lb)
~4 potions of cure light wounds - 200gp
~Explorer’s outfit - 10gp (2 lbs)
~Courtier's outfit with jewelry - 80gp (1-1/2 lbs)
~Bedroll - 5sp (1-1/4 lbs)
~Waterskin - 1gp (1 lb)
~Trail rations (10 days worth) - 5gp (2-1/2 lbs)
~Hair-care kit (combs, brushes, pins, etc.) - 10gp (4 lbs)

Money
307gp, 5sp

Carrying Capacity
Light - 19.5 or less, Medium 39.75 or less, Heavy 60 or less
Current weight - 26.875lbs, Medium load. But with backpack and all other items marked with ~ on pony, current load is 12.925 lbs, including 5 lbs of hair, a Light load.
~~~~~

Appearance: Caramip presents an odd picture at first glance. Though a gnome of slight height and slender build, she gives the impression that she's far taller than that because of her hair. Wooden and ivory sticks along with silk cord hold what must be a good ten feet or more of hair piled atop her head in an elaborate spiralling pyramid that makes her appear twice or more as tall as she actually is. She walks particularly carefully, centering her weight over her feet, as obviously it's a heavy burden to bear. Other than that, she wears simple robes and leathers of rich red and golden yellow, embroidered with small letters in various languages. She sometimes carries a staff over her shoulders to allow her raven familiar to ride upon.

Personality: Caramip is ever questioning everyone she comes across as to what they are, how they are, who they are, why they are, where they are, how the got there, how they're going to get back, if they know where they're going next and why they're going to do it, and a thousand things other besides. What exactly she does with all this information is a mystery. Though inquisitive, she's not always patient. And her questions get sharper when she finds someone despoiling what they shouldn't.

Background: Caramip was found speaking to stones at a young age. Young gnomes often speak to quite a few things, considering all gnomes can talk with burrowing creatures, but very few can have the stones speak back. Taking this as a sign, Caramip's parents took her to the Elementalists to be tested. It was quickly agreed that she had an aptitude for the magic, though when asked, Caramip said, "Well, I could have told you that!"

Working to bring life to the inanimate, she soon found her spells centering on raising the world around her. The spirits spoke to her as she worked, channeling the power of fire and earth, and told her as a sign of her devotion, she was never to cut her hair. Obedient to the spirits as she was to few others, she obeyed.

Instead of taking a spellbook of paper and leather, she instead began to scribe and carve her spells onto her hair sticks. To study her spells in the morning, Caramip combs out her lengthy hair and twins the locks around her spell sticks, piling it eventually into her hair tower. Her raven familiar Quork has been known to nest in the center of it when she lets him. She also has a tendency to stick things in her hair and forget about them, sometimes leading to surprising discoveries.

Oddities aside, she is seeking further and further ways to allow the elements to speak for themselves, whether that be in battle or in words.

Stats for various animated creatures created by spells [sblock]Animated Wood
Small Construct
Hit Dice: 1d10+10 (15 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares); 40 ft. legs, 50 ft. multiple legs, 70 ft. wheels
Armor Class: 14 (+1 size, +1 Dex, +2 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/–4
Attack: Slam +1 melee (1d4)
Full Attack: Slam +1 melee (1d4)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks:
Special Qualities: Construct traits, darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, hardness 5
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +1, Will –5
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 12, Con —, Int —, Wis 1, Cha 1

---------------------------------

Animated Water
Small Construct
Hit Dice: 1d10+10 (30 hp)
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Attack: Slam +1 melee (1d4)
Full Attack: Slam +1 melee (1d4)
Special Attacks:
Special Qualities: Construct traits, darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, double hit points
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 12, Con —, Int —, Wis 1, Cha 1

--------------------------------

Animated Fire
Small Construct (fire)
Hit Dice: 1d10+10 (15 hp)
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares); 40 ft. legs, 50 ft. multiple legs, 70 ft. wheels
Attack: Slam +1 melee (1d4 + 1d4 fire)
Full Attack: Slam +1 melee (1d4 + 1d4 fire)
Special Attacks: Burn (DC 12)
Special Qualities: Construct traits, darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, fire subtype
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 12, Con —, Int —, Wis 1, Cha 1[/sblock]

Last edited:

Phoenix8008

First Post
This group seems to need a fighting person. I'd like to throw my hand in the ring with the concept of a female human Soulknife.

She isn't sure why she was born different. An outcast in her youth, it was perhaps a blessing that her parents did not live long enough to see their daughter become a freak who was hunted and chased from their village. Wandering the land and defending herself with the blade created by her mind, the girl has learned to hide the source of her powers by mouthing a few memorized words of arcane sounding gibberish before manifesting her blade. Claiming it as a familial spell handed down before her parents death, she uses it with no living being that can speak against the source of her power. So the pretender survives in a world that fears and hates powers beyond the arcane.

There is the quick class and concept. I'll get to work on the details of the character along with a name when a good one occurs to me.

Last edited:

PhoenixAsh

First Post
Hmm… seems like an appropriate type of game for a Hexblade, which I’ve wanted to try to play for awhile!

Jenna, Human Hexblade 3, LN

Rough Concept: Jenna was a farm girl who had a lot of trouble with her imagination growing up. She would daydream about the typical things one might expect of a young girl, the privileges of nobility not afforded a farmer’s daughter. She would do this to pass the tedium of her chores. Unfortunately, when her mind wandered bad things started to happen. Milk would sour. Chickens would cease laying eggs. Fruit that appeared healthy would turn out to be rotten. It could be attributed to chance, but it always came back to the animals or food that she handled. Her family did not blame her, but she soon learned that whenever her mind wandered bad things happened, and her family suffered. So she stopped imagining, and turned very serious.

Farming was no less boring, however her new-found focus did allow her to finish her chores earlier, and as her family grew and grew up, she began to get more time on her hands. She went to school and had time for activities. She found herself good at sports and athletics and grew to enjoy them. And she found a use for her imagination.

It started with a race on a rainy day. She trailed a much faster boy, with little chance to catch him before he finished. Bitterly she imagined him falling in a pile of mud and her beating him. To her surprises, he did just that – improbably falling flat on his face and allowing her to win the race. She was surprised, and a little guilty, for the boy had twisted his ankle. But the guilt receded, and she began to regularly take advantage of her imagination.

Jenna wasn’t an unpopular girl, but she began to be so among those who (fairly) felt they had more natural ability, and only lost contests with her due to poor luck. These people began to pick fight with her, and it didn’t take getting beaten up too many times for her to decide to learn how to fight back. She learned how to give as many bruises as she got, and more besides.

When she came of age, she saw two paths in life – stay with the family farm or join the military. Of the two, the second was the most palatable to her. She joined up, went through training, and served a tour of duty. Afterwards, while on leave, and more than a little drunk she convinced herself (with some prodding from her fellow soldiers) to get a tattoo. Once again, her luck changed her life.

Stumbling into a likely place she grandly and drunkenly described her desire. The artist there saw an opportunity and described a new style, where instead of ink actual skin is carved away and left with scar tissue, allowing for a very unique expression. Perfect, Jenna thought.

The process was excruciating, skin was literally gouged from her back to make the design. Hard alcohol was the only medication for the pain, and Jenna indulged liberally.

Jenna did not know that the tattoo parlor she stumbled into was a front for a criminal outfit (or cult). Just as they finished her tattoo, the parlor was raided by local law enforcement. In her stupor of pain and booze, she lashed out at the law enforcement, and killed one of their number before she was subdued.

She was arrested. Questioning and magic determined her motives and her lack of associating with the criminal front, but it did not erase the unlawful death she had caused. She was genuinely remorseful, and her military service helped her somewhat, but in the end she still was imprisoned for five years.

Those five years were not pleasant for Jenna. And emerging from prison in a town or city she is not particularly familiar with, with no friends or family for miles, not to mention being an ex-con, has left her disoriented, bitter and aimless.

(I’m rather flexible with what the actual tattoo would be, I leaned towards either a culturally common unlucky symbol, or the holy symbol associated with such mischief but anything distinctive and perhaps disturbing in that regard would work.

If the five years in prison are too light or too strict of a sentence based on the laws of the land, the crime could certainly be less or more severe accordingly.

I’ll work on mechanics if you like the concept for the campaign. Thanks for the consideration!)

A Crazy Fool

First Post
Nazkhandrias:
This works, especially since you are protected by the law from palladins and the like (in Greyport, anyway--if you travel to annother city be sure to know the laws there) as long as you don't cause any damage.

Kinem:
Being a wizard opens up a lot of oportunities for Herb to advance to a higher social station, perhaps as a customs agent or some other bribeable position. If he chooses to involve himself with local criminal organizations, he would be involved in piracy and smuggling work (it is an archapeligo world). Organized crime in Greyport doesn't particularly care about petty thieves when they can make a killing robbing merchants on the open seas.

S@squ@tch:
I don't know the ultimate magus class, please explain. After book learning casters, sorcerers get the next most respect. They are also more common in densely populated areas of Ereva because of all the stray magical energy (as are warlocks, for that matter). Also, please provide some background on your master.

Isida Kep'Tukari:
I like the concept. Wu-Jen (I'm calling them Elamentalists from now on) are also major members in Erevan society, especially away from urban colleges of magic. They often serve as leaders in smaller villages and towns closer to nature. You might also consider a slightly more restrictive taboo--not crippling or anything, but something that might come into play every now and then.

Phoenix8008:
I'll just summarize how a psionic character can expect to be treated in Ereva. In villages and more distant areas, psionic characters are treated like witches in medeival Europe. They are usually persecuted and killed. In big cities, they are shunned, much like a warlock would be anywhere else. This is because there is widespread fear of Keraj, a neighboring empire in which psionics is central like magic is in Ereva. The common people fear that anyone psionic is a mind-controlled spy or agent of Keraj. (Keraj and Ereva are unnoficaily at war, and have been for well over 100 years) The Erevan government, however recognizes the value of psionic agents in infiltrating Keraj (they distrust spellcasters as much as Ereva distrusts psychics). If you work with the Erevan government you get some measure of protection and privelige, but no more respect. In a city, being discovered and recruited is highly likely.

PhoenixAsh:
Again, I like the concept. You can pick what the tattoo is. 5 years is pretty close to what a commoner like yourself could expect for killing someone while drunk. A wizard in good standing would get a lighter sentance, probably. Would you want to be a member of the Esdah's personal army or the Army of the High Emperor. (This affects wheter you'd be fighting inside Ereva or fighting on the frontier against Ereva's foreign enemies).

s@squ@tch

First Post
Ultimate Magus is a PrC in the Complete Mage -- I just noticed it wasn't listed as a source in above. Basically, it is an arcane caster who progresses both as a sorcerer and a wizard.

Luckily, Wizards put the info for Ultimate Magus as an excerpt from Complete Mage on their website:

Ultimate Magus on WOTC

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads