• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tales of the Legacy - Concluded

Delemental

First Post
Shorter update this week (See? I can write short ones!). And we are getting dangerously close to catching up with current events - this session was played on September 1st.

-----------------------------

Morladim looked all around the site of the recent battle, his eyes burning with anger as he searched for something unseen. Finally, he turned to the Legacy.

“I understand there was an unpleasant surprise waiting for you here,” he said with a barely restrained snarl.

“That would be an understatement, Lord Morladim,” Lanara replied.

“Tell me, where did that runt of a goblin go off to?”

“The last we saw of him, he was fleeing that way as the planetar was dealing with the dread wraiths that had been gathering souls to summon those nightshades,” Tolly said, pointing up the hill toward the manor.

“I have some chastisement to dispense, if you will excuse me,” Morladim said.

“We would very much like to speak with him again as well,” Tolly agreed. “I would suggest asking him how involved the Deathmistress was in this plot. He doesn’t seem intelligent enough for it.”

“This is true. Rebukkax is charismatic, and clever for his race, but he is no great intellect.”

Lord Morladim looked around at the party. He saw Kyle’s body laid out inside of Marc’s coffin, waiting in the wagon.

“I would advise you against doing that,” he said, nodding toward the coffin. “You may not care for the results.”

“Good point,” Lanara said.

“I assume you will be performing some manner of resurrection ritual?” the vampire asked.

“Yes, in the morning,” Tolly said. “The planetar Phanuel has offered to perform the rite.”

Morladim frowned. “I cannot say I approve of such magics being used within my borders, but I’ll not deny you your companion.” He gestured, and a shimmering doorway appeared in midair. “This should see to your needs,” he said. “One of you will need to come to give access to the celestial in the morning. I will be in the area for the next few days, asking questions, and would ask you to stay close at hand. I shall return with the Baron shortly.”

Morladim turned, and transformed himself into a large bat again, flying off toward the manor. Autumn and Osborn pulled Kyle’s body out of the coffin, and took him inside the extradimensional mansion. Tolly, Crystal, Lanara, and Arrie decided to wait outside for Morladim’s return.

He was back about twenty minutes later, this time walking back down the hill. One of his gauntleted hands was extended out in a claw-like gesture, and the hand shook slightly as if he were holding onto a struggling victim. Morladim walked down to where the party waited, and glared at the empty air in his fist.

“You may as well manifest, you pathetic excuse for a vassal,” Morladim hissed. “I’m sure everyone will want to hear what you have to say.”

There was a shimmering in the air, and Baron Rebukkax appeared, clenched tightly in Morladim’s grip.

“I believe you had questions,” the vampire said with a grim smile.

* * *​

Rebukkax was questioned for about an hour. The goblin revealed that he truly knew nothing about the summoning of the nightshades, that it really had occurred under his very nose. While Rebukkax couldn’t say for certain that Deathmistress Elissinara was behind the plot, he did suspect her, especially since his majordomo was currently nowhere to be found, and she was normally quite loyal to him. He also revealed that the two dread wraiths that had been gathering souls were more often in Elissinara’s confidence than his own; he frequently traveled his domain to see to the needs of his subjects, while the Deathmistress remained at the manor.

They questioned him intently about the nature of the recent uprising among the shadows and wraiths, trying to determine if it had all been a cover for Elissinara’s plot. But it appeared that neither the Deathmistress or those directly under her were directing the revolt; it was an independent event that provided fortuitous cover for more sinister activities.

“I will be questioning your subjects in the morning,” Morladim said to Rebukkax. “I will, of course, require the use of your manor, such as it is.”

The party looked at each other questioningly. In the morning?

“Between the remaining walls, and judicious use of darkness spells, I should have little difficulty holding audience,” Lord Morladim said to the unspoken question. “The wraiths and shadows will be decidedly discomfited.” He smiled. “I noted that there is an area of consecrated ground near the manor. I think I will have my subjects await me there.”

“We will pass along your pleasure to Autumn,” Lanara said. “May I observe the questioning, my lord?”

Morladim chuckled. “You would be most welcome, my lady. You possess a keen wit and cunning mind. And I will likely weary of questioning at some point, and would welcome a brief respite to enjoy some more… leisurely activities.”

“My talents are at your disposal, my lord,” Lanara said, bowing, “first thing in the morning, then?”

“Indeed.” Morladim turned to the others. “You should rest yourselves now. I will spend the rest of the evening attempting to track down Elissinara, though I suspect she has fled my lands entirely. I will contact you when it is time to return to my castle.”

* * *​

Kyle sighed contentedly as he laid back in the fragrant green grass, looking up at the sapphire sky above. In the distance, winged eladrins wheeled and spun in the air, too far away to see clearly.

He didn’t hear the other person approach, but felt the presence nearby. He glanced over to see she had laid down next to him, mimicking his pose.

“You will have to leave soon, you know,” she said to him.

“I know,” he said. “I just wanted a chance to relax before I have to go back. There’s little chance for rest on Aelfenn in these times.”

“I know,” Erito said sadly. “And I am sorry that you must endue such times as these.”

“You could help fix that, you know,” Kyle said.

“I have worshippers among the Taurics too, Kyle,” Erito chided. “Many more, in fact, than I do in Affon. I could just as easily argue that I should support them against you.”

Kyle groaned. “You know, when even a goddess can’t tell that I’m kidding around, it’s not even worth trying any more.”

Erito laughed. “Never stop being yourself, Kyle Goodson, bad jokes and all. Humanity was never meant to be perfect, or else how could you grow?” She rolled over onto her side and looked at him. “Your ancestor and my Serenity, Justin Godscion, was never skilled with humor either.” She smiled warmly at him.

Kyle looked at his goddess, for a moment unnerved by the fact that he was speaking so casually to a deity. If she noticed his discomfort, Erito didn’t show it. “I came because I sensed you have something you wanted to say to me before you leave.”

“I did,” he admitted. “Though I wasn’t sure how I would ask. I didn’t think stopping a passing eladrin and requesting a personal audience was going to go over so well. But now that you’re here… well, you’re very easy to talk to.”

“Thank you. What did you wish to say?”

“Well, since this could very well be the only chance I get to talk to you for a while… at least, I hope… not that it’s not enjoyable, it’s just I don’t want to repeat how I got here…” Kyle took a deep breath. “There is a project I’ve been working on, or really getting into the initial stages of researching, that I feel that I need to explain to you, because, well, it really rather directly affects the Cycle. At some point, I know that I’m either going to need to get your approval for this, or else…” he swallowed, “I’m going to have to defy you over it.”

“Defy me?” Erito said. “You seem certain about this.”

“I think it’s important enough that it’s worth the risk, Erito. I may as well be up front with you.”

Erito nodded. “I’m listening.”

“I wish to create a demiplane.”

“This is hardly a novel exercise in arcane magic, Kyle,” she said. “A number of archmages have constructed their own demiplanes in the Ethereal.”

“I’m building mine on the Shadow Plane.”

Erito frowned. “An unusual choice. The Shadow isn’t very hospitable to the living.”

“It’s not for the living,” Kyle explained. “I wish to create a demiplane off the realm of Shadow which will act as a sanctuary for the souls of those beings with psionic ability, a haven where they’ll be shielded from the destructive effects of the plane and no longer condemned to oblivion. I want to give the psions an afterlife, or as much of one as I can. I intend for it to be open to all psions, regardless of whose side they’re on – I’m hoping that once they have a choice, maybe they won’t have as much interest in Silko’s philosophies…”

“Do not speak that name here!” Erito said, sitting up suddenly, and the sky grew dark. “You, who should know better!”

“Okay, I’m sorry!” Kyle cried out, terrified. Seeing his fear, Erito calmed, and the sky grew light again.

“I am sorry as well, Kyle. You are not the cause of my sorrow.”

Kyle looked sadly at Erito. “You remember him, don’t you? Even though no one else can.”

She nodded. “I remember him in perfect detail.” She settled back down onto the grass, and stared up into the sky, now clear of eladrin.

They laid in the grass for a long time, silently. Finally, she turned to him.

“I am willing to let you try,” she said. “More than that, I can’t say at this time.”

“Thank you,” he said. “I don’t suppose you’d be willing to give me any hints?”

She smiled. “And deny you the thrill of discovery, Kyle?”

“I can live with disappointment, really I can,” Kyle said.

Erito rose to her feet in a single fluid motion. “I’m glad to hear that, because it looks like it is time for you to go.”

Kyle got to his feet and looked up. A winged form was descending toward them, but this was not an eladrin. The astral deva landed, came up within a few feet of Erito and Kyle, and immediately prostrated himself before them.

“Just a moment, Kyle,” Erito said, “there are some formalities we have to get out of the way.”

“Mistress Erito,” the deva said, “My humblest apologies for my intrusion. I, who am not worthy to be in your presence, have come at the behest of my lord Krûsh for the soul of Kyle Goodson.”

“He is here,” Erito said. “What business does Krûsh have with one of my flock?”

“The planetar Phanuel, who is also in the service of my lord, has performed a rite of resurrection on his behalf.”

Erito turned to Kyle. “Do you wish to return to the living world, Kyle Goodson?”

“I do.”

“This constitutes a disruption in the Cycle. Who will pay the Tithe?”

“Krûsh will pay the tithe on behalf of Kyle Goodson,” the deva said, “in recognition of Phanuel’s loyal and devoted service to Good.”

“The Tithe is accepted,” Erito said. “Kyle Goodson is released from my domain to return to the living world.” She turned to him, a tiny smile on her lips. “May he exercise more caution and not have to return until the day of his Final Rest.”

She turned to the deva again. “You may await him at the gates of my realm.”

“Yes, Mistress,” the deva said, and vanished.

Erito turned to Kyle. “It’s been a pleasure, Kyle.”

“For me too. Thank you.”

* * *​

Kyle gasped as his eyes opened. Blurry at first, his vision quickly cleared. The first thing he saw was Phanuel’s face looking down on him.

“Welcome back, my son,” he said.

Kyle looked around the room. He was laying in a plush bed in a rather opulent room, obviously a mage’s mansion. Standing a short distance away was Autumn and Tolly, waiting expectantly. Osborn was right behind them, a look of hope mixed with trepidation on his face. He couldn’t see the others, though his line of sight was obscured by a nine-foot planetar. No one wore weapons or armor.

“We won, right?” Kyle asked weakly.

“Indeed you did,” Phanuel said. He held out a hand, and showed Kyle the shattered remnants of the pearl he’d given the wizard a few weeks ago. “You no longer carry my gift,” he said.

Kyle nodded. “Then I’ll just have to work harder to keep her safe without you.” He remembered the words that Phanuel had spoken into his mind when he’d been given the pearl. You are closest to my daughter in both body and spirit. I would see her safe from harm. If her life hangs in the balance, shatter this, and I will come to you.

Phanuel stepped back, and addressed the rest of the Legacy. Kyle could see Crystal in the back of the room, but didn’t see Arrie or Lanara.

“I cannot tarry,” Phanuel said. “He will need rest to recover his strength. You will be safe enough in this place.” He placed a comforting hand on Autumn’s shoulder, and then walked out of the room, leaving the party alone together. Shortly after Phanuel departed, Arrie came into the room.

“Nice to have you back, Kyle,” she said.

“Nice to be back,” he said. “What happened?”

“We destroyed the nightwalker and nightcrawler,” Tolly answered, “and the nightwing fled. Lord Morladim arrived and has taken Baron Rebukkax captive. We believe that it was the Deathmistress who was responsible, however. Morladim and Lanara are interrogating the other incorporeals now.”

“So obviously I was the only casualty,” Kyle sighed.

“True,” Tolly replied. He leaned in close and spoke softly. “When you’re up to it, you’ll want to talk to Osborn. He’s feeling somewhat guilt-ridden over his part in your demise. The confusion spell was potent.”

The wizard nodded. “I’ll talk to him. It wasn’t his fault.”

Tolly smiled. “And now I think there’s someone else who wants to see you, so we’ll leave you two. She’s been awake all night by your side.”

The rest of the party withdrew, leaving Autumn and Kyle alone. The aasimar didn’t say a word, but just climbed into the bed next to her husband.

“Nothing to say?” Kyle asked. “No lecture?”

“No lecture,” she said, nuzzling up against Kyle. “I just want to be close to you. I know from personal experience that you’re going to be off your feet for a few days, and I intend to spend as much of that time as possible right here.”

“That’s the best news I’ve had in a while,” Kyle said.

Delemental

First Post
Morladim’s inquiry took two full days, and by nightfall he was ready to return to his own castle. His interrogations had borne fruit, however; he’d confirmed that the Deathmistress was behind the nightshade plot, though whether she intended to use them for her own purposes or had planned to turn them over to the Baron’s control was never clearly determined.

“She’s fled my lands, as I suspected,” he told the party later, as they were preparing to leave for the castle. “I can track her easily enough, though of course destroying her is not an option. But I will send Marc and some of my other creations to pick up her trail. They can harry her to the point that she is unable to set down roots and begin her machinations again.” Morladim looked over his shoulder. “As for him…”

The party looked back behind Morladim. A large spear had been planted on the ground, point upward. Impaled on the spear was the translucent form of Baron Rebukkax. The shaft of the obviously magical spear, clearly visible through the goblin, had been forced all the way through until it penetrated through Rebukkax’s skull. The baron twitched and jerked in obvious discomfort.

“He will return to my castle,” continued Morladim, “where I can continue to educate him as to the wisdom behind my rule. His subjects will be quiescent for now, especially since the Baron has committed them to the foreign war effort.”

The party took in the scene somberly. Osborn nudged Kyle, who was laying in the wagon next to Marc’s coffin. “Looks like Lanara might have some competition from Tolly over Morladim. I think our priest’s in love!”

“While certainly not a merciful act,” Tolly said, “as an Ardaran I do have an appreciation for an orderly society.” Tolly left it at that, despite some other comments from the hin. He was glad to see Osborn in higher spirits, having had a long talk with Kyle yesterday.

It was an uneventful journey back to the castle. Morladim, of course, did not accompany them, but went ahead to attend to other business. They were greeted at the gates by Lady Genevieve, who seemed very pleased to see all of them again, especially Tolly. After another day of rest, Kyle was up and ready to go, and so he and Tolly joined Lord Morladim in his personal library to help with their other task; the construction of the Shadow Node. While the party had been dealing with the baron, some of the materials that Osborn had located had started to arrive, and more came in as the days went by. The two companions put most of their effort into research, while Morladim handled some of the more unpleasant aspects of the construction of the Node. But both of them came away with a great deal of knowledge; Kyle, in particular, seemed pleased by what he’d accumulated.

One night, Tolly asked him about it directly. “Why do you have such an interest in constructing a Shadow Node?”

“Oh, I don’t,” the wizard replied. “But I’m hoping that the theories and principles Morladim developed can be used to create it’s opposite – an Ethereal Node.”

Tolly arched his eyebrows. “Is such a thing even possible?”

“A few weeks ago, I would have said no, but now… If I can create it one day, then a Node representing life and possibility is exactly what I’ll need.”

Tolly decided not to ask what he would need it for – Kyle had taken on the tone he adopted when working on his ‘secret’ project and didn’t want to discuss it. Everyone in the group knew about it, of course; the details were fuzzy, but Tolly was aware that it had something to do with psions and trying to halt the destruction of their souls when they died.

Lord Morladim came into the library, holding a large black sapphire in one hand. “I believe this is the stone I will use,” he said to Tolly. “But I would ask you to examine it to make sure there are no flaws that I did not perceive."

Tolly took the fist-sized gemstone from Morladim, and studied it intently. “There is nothing I can detect,” he said a few moments later, handing the stone back.

“Excellent,” Morladim said, “now all that remains is to fill the vessel.”

Tolly and Kyle looked at each other. They knew that Morladim would need the soul of a powerful wizard, trapped in the sapphire, to act as a catalyst for the Node’s creation. This would, of course, obliterate the soul in question – they’d tried not to think too hard about that. The destruction of a soul was the only method by which the Node could be created, according to the research that they had studied, so trying to talk Morladim out of it was futile.

“Too bad we didn’t have a stone like that when we met Elissinara,” Kyle said, to ease the mood. “Would’ve made things easier.”

Tolly saw Morladim’s inquisitive glance. “A jest, my lord,” he said. “We had discussed the irony of entrapping the Deathmistress’s spirit within a child’s toy. Given her views on the eventual triumph of death over all, constantly surrounding her with the beginnings of life would be a particularly fitting sentence.”

A strange look came over Morladim’s face. “If you will excuse me, gentlemen,” he said distantly, “I have matters that need my attention. Please continue with the preparations.” He turned and walked out of the room as quickly as he had come.

Meanwhile, the rest of the party entertained themselves as best they could. Osborn kept busy overseeing the arrival of the exotic materials Morladim needed, and Lanara spent much of her time entertaining Lord Morladim himself, when he was not busy working on the Node. Arrie and Autumn continued to spend time with Lady Genevieve, trying to feel out how she would fare at the Imperial Court. They decided that she certainly had the training, and though not practiced at the art of diplomacy, she certainly had her share of experience in manipulation.

“I’ve been practicing on your priest, you know,” Genevieve confided in the two sisters one afternoon over tea.

Arrie and Autumn looked at each other. They’d suspected, but hadn’t really wanted to ask either party for details. “That must have been a challenge,” Arrie said at last.

“Not at all. I just climbed into bed with him, really. He was not in much of a position to complain about after that. But he’s strong, and he’s weathering it well.”

“Tolly does have a fascination with young women,” Arrie sighed.

“We’ve discussed that,” Genevieve said, smiling wickedly. “He knows I’m older than he, but not by how much.”

Several days later, Morladim was ready to create the Node. He had assembled the final components in a hidden chamber of his castle, which even Genevieve had never seen, and insisted that he would complete the final rituals alone. As Kyle and Tolly handed over the last of the completed components, they noticed Morladim was holding a large black sapphire, which glowed faintly.

“I see you found the soul you needed,” Tolly said casually.

“Yes, and I have you to thank for it,” he said, holding up the sapphire. “If you wish to pay your last respects to Elissinara, do so now.”

“The Deathmistress?” Kyle asked.

“Yes, I determined that even though she is a priestess rather than a wizard, her patronage of the goddess of magic would be sufficient to act as a catalyst. Perhaps not as fitting an end as you envisioned, but an end that suits my purposes well. Now, if you will excuse me.”

It was three more days before they saw Morladim again, and another day before he reported that his ritual had been a success. He said that it would take time for the Node to stabilize to the point it would be safe to attempt to open himself to it, but he was pleased with the outcome. That night the meals sent to the party were significantly less bland and overcooked than on previous days.

The next day, Genevieve went to the Legacy. “My father requests an audience with you tonight to begin official negotiations with the Empire of Tlaxan,” she said.

The party gathered in Lord Morladim’s audience chamber the next night, eager to nearly be free of their obligations to the Vampire Prince, but wary of what his condition for alliance might be. Genevieve escorted the party to Morladim’s throne, and then vanished once they had gathered at the foot of his dais.

“You have served me well,” he said to them, “and have fulfilled your obligations to me as promised. I require nothing further from you.”

“If I may, my lord,” Arrie said, unexpectedly, “we would be honored to also offer escort to Lady Genevieve to Noxolt, without obligation from you, as a token of good will.”

“That will not be necessary,” he replied curtly. “I have asked two tasks of you, and that is all I require. And I have also decided that Lady Genevieve will remain her in the Dark Hills for the time being. It is too soon for her to take her place at court.”

Arrie frowned. “I had hoped I might persuade you to reconsider.”

“Your arguments are compelling, Princess, but my decision is unchanged. As to other matters we have discussed, you may feel free to continue that conversation at another time.”

Arrie nodded and stepped back. Lanara quickly took over. “It was our understanding that you have only one condition for alliance with the Empire,” she said. “We would be glad to relay that condition to the Emperor now, if it pleases you.”

“Indeed, I have but one request,” Morladim said. “If it is met, then my forces will be at Haxtha’s disposal, almost by definition. I wish for the Dark Hills to join the Empire of Tlaxan as a sovereign kingdom.”

They only hesitated a split second. “This will be passed on, my lord,” Lanara said. She turned to Kyle, who was already issuing a sending.

Herion, Morladim wants to join Empire as sovereign nation. Will Haxtha negotiate these terms?

The reply came back quickly. Will Morladim allow teleportation?

Kyle looked up. “Imperial Prince Herion is requesting permission to teleport within your domain, my lord.”

“He may do so,” the vampire replied.

Arrie issued a second sending, and got word back that Herion would arrive in an hour. The party withdrew to the back of the audience chamber to wait. Around the appointed time, Kyle felt the familiar tingle of a scrying. He chose not to resist, and moments later Prince Herion arrived. After a brief greeting, he walked with the party back to the dais, and bowed to Lord Morladim.

“It is an honor to meet you, great-uncle,” Herion said. “I thank you for the honor of allowing this audience. I speak with the full authority of the Empire, and have come to negotiate the terms of alliance with your domain.”

“You are welcome, Prince Herion,” Morladim replied. He stood and descended from his throne. “Come, let us meet in private to finalize this alliance.” He looked over his shoulder at the party. “You may return to your rooms. I will send for you when the negotiations are concluded.”

A day later, Herion came to the party himself. “Our negotiations are over,” he said, “The Dark Hills will join the Empire, assuming there is an Empire after this. Thank you for your help in making this possible.”

“Of course,” Tolly said, “where are we needed next?”

“We will return to Noxolt now,” Herion said. “Your next mission requires the use of your ship, the Armadillo, which is currently being retrofitted in Erum. You will have about a week, perhaps, to see to your own affairs.”

“I’m content to stay in Noxolt,” Lanara said, “especially if you’re going to put me on a damn boat again.”

“I don’t have any definite plans,” Arrie said, “so I might stay in the city too. Catch up with Aralda, maybe.”

“Well, I should see to things in Vargas,” Autumn said. “Anyone want to come with me?”

“Can’t,” said Osborn, “I’ve got things to look after elsewhere.”

“I’m hoping to get down to Miracle,” Tolly said, “I haven’t seen Iria in some time now. Kyle, would you be willing to teleport me there?”

“Sure,” he said. “I may even stay there with you. I could use a few new spells and such which might be easier to get there.” The wizrd suddenly turned to Crystal. “You’re coming with Tolly I assume, right?”

Crystal looked somewhat taken aback. “Of course… I mean, with your permission, sir.”

“Good!” Kyle said, “care to join me for a few drinks while we’re there?”

Crystal turned white. She glanced at Tolly, then at Autumn, then back at Kyle. “What?”

“Look, it seems like you’re going to be with us for a while,” Kyle said. “I don’t know about anyone else, but I’d like to get to know you as something besides ‘Tolly’s apprentice’. So, will you let me?”

Crystal glanced over at Tolly again. “If it’s all right with…”

“No," Kyle said sharply. "I don’t care what Tolly thinks. Do you want to?”

Crystal swallowed. “I… suppose there’s no harm in it. Just… just the two of us?”

“Well, if you’re more comfortable, you can invite someone else to join us, with two exceptions. You can’t invite Tolly, because that defeats the whole purpose of the outing. And you can’t invite my wife, either.”

“And why not?” Autumn asked, staring intently at Kyle.

“Because to be honest, you haven’t been terribly nice to Crystal, and I don’t want you there scaring her.”

There was a moment of awkward silence, until Kyle broke it. “So, off to Noxolt first, then?”

* * *​

Lanara sighed in contentment as she walked into her suite in the Imperial Palace. They’d taken their leave of Lord Morladim just an hour ago, before Kyle had brought them all back to Noxolt. It was a good parting, even though Lady Genevieve had not been there to see them off, but all the same Lanara was glad to be out of the Dark Hills. Her fascination with the Vampire Prince notwithstanding (would be now officially be the Vampire Prince? She wondered), she was glad to be away from so many undead. Of course, within a few days she’d be on a boat; the living dead might have been preferable.

“Okay,” she said to the empty room, “first a bath, then new clothes, and then we spend a day of luxury before doing anything productive.”

She was about to ring for a handmaiden when she felt a sudden lurching sensation from her back. She looked over her shoulder in alarm to see a pale arm sticking straight up out of one of her handy haversacks. Shrieking, she shed the pack and dropped it to the floor.

The arm was joined by another, and moments later Genevieve’s head popped out of the opening. She squirmed her way out of the haversack, emerging as gracefully as one can manage, and stood up, adjusting and smoothing out her dress.

“Hello,” she said to Lanara. “This is the Imperial Palace, I presume?”

“Yes, it is,” Lanara replied. “Though that’s a rather unorthodox way of getting here. No wonder Tolly let you into his bed so quickly.”

Genevieve smiled. “There’s a surprising amount of room in there, you know, once I took out al those instruments.”

“You did what, child?” Lanara asked.

“They’re safe in my chambers back in the castle,” Genevieve said.

The cansin scowled. “You’re lucky I can get those back whenever I want*. So, I assume you didn’t take your father’s decision that you should stay at home too well.”

“He’s kept me there long enough,” she said. “I’m not ‘daddy’s little girl’ any more, but he still tries to protect me. I can handle myself.”

“Yes, but can you handle his anger when he thinks we kidnapped you?”

“Oh, I’ve left him a letter explaining that this was my choice. Besides, I usually only see my father once a week at most, so it will be days before he finds out I’m gone.”

Lanara smiled. “Okay, then. Let’s go find Arrie and Aralda. But as you get settled in around here, all I ask is that you talk to me before you get to know any of the men at court. I don’t like to share.”

--------------------------------------------------

* This is because of a misunderstanding that has become something of a house rule. It was thought that the summon instrument spell allowed you to bring an instrument that belonged to you into your possession, rather than simply creating a normal instrument; essentially we played it as a teleportation spell rather than a summoning spell. Since the issue has hardly ever arisen anyway, we don't worry about it too much.

Krafus

First Post
:lol: Fortunate for Genevieve that she doesn't breathe, eh? I remember our group once planning to use a bag of holding to sneak a few members of our party into a guarded building. Luckily, one of the other players deduced from the DM's sly smile that something was off. We decided to go over our plan again, and realized we'd quickly consume the air...

Delemental

First Post
Underdark Adventures: Bug Hunt

A word of explanation about this update.

Some time back, our group was discussing the flow of the campaign in general. During the discussion, a few points were brought up about some of the side-effects of being in a long-term, high-level game. Among those were the fact that there were simply certain types of encounters and challenges that we would never see again, because at 15th+ level they are too easy to defeat or circumvent. But there can be a lot of enjoyment to be had from those types of adventures, and certainly the bulk of published material is aimed at that magical 4-9 level range we'd passed long ago. It was also noted that since we are fairly well "locked" into our current characters (both in terms of roleplay, it terms of finishing out story arcs, and mechanically, in terms of accessing resurrection magic relatively easily now), that it would be unlikely that we'd ever get to try out different concepts for characters.

From this came the idea for the Underdark campaign.

We created a set of 6th level characters, presumed to be based out of Aelfenn's Underdark and allied with Aran's faction in the psion wars. We faced a new set of restrictions, but other options were open to us (notably, we were allowed to create psionic characters, but not permitted to make characters that used divine magic). The Underdark game is meant to be played very, very occasionally, as sort of a fill in if our DM just doesn't have something ready for our regular characters, or if he (or anyone else in the group) simply has an idea for an adventure that just wouldn't work for our regular characters, either because the CRs are too low, or it would just break continuity of the current campaign story arc too much.

I decided to write up our Underdark sessions in a different style than the one I use for the regular campaign, both for the sake of variety, and because the style is much easier to write because it requires far less tracking of details of combats and dialogue. We are also far less concerned with consistency with the Underdark game; I carefully track the calendar date for our regular game, but with this one, we really don't care where exactly we are, or how long things take.

So, without further ado:

--------------------------------------------

Herein lies an accounting of the exploits of certain citizens of the Underdark community of Tal Jashar, set forth with all diligence by Pepin Osred, member in good standing of the Guild of Porters, Valets, and Stewards of the Republic of Sargia. This accounting is not to be construed as a challenge to the rightful role of the Guild of Scriveners and Recordkeepers, not the Historian’s Guild. If members of either of those noble guilds were present in Tal Jashar, this author would most certainly defer to their expertise in this matter. But as neither guild is represented here – indeed, as none of the Sargian guilds maintain a presence here – the task falls to me to undertake to the best of my abilities.

Though of course all of the citizens of Tal Jashar contribute their fair share to the continued survival of the community, there are times when situations arise that require an extraordinary effort. For some time, this town has looked to certain individuals in these situations. I have done what little I can to aid them in these efforts, to tend to the petty and insignificant, yet still necessary details such endeavors create, so that they may devote their energies to the task at hand. It is now only proper that an accounting of their activities be recorded, so that future generations might be inspired by their willingness to serve.

Without further delay, I shall introduce these individuals. First, there is the half-giant named Hodur*, a warrior of fearsome ability and fearsome size. He, like many in Tal Jashar and other Underdark communities, has developed his psionic abilities to augment his battle prowess. Hodur is cunning in battle, and although his vocabulary is limited to but a single word – his own name – he can often make his intentions clear enough. Hodur is often called upon in his daily life to attend to those tasks requiring brute strength.

Hodur is often found in the company of Northaly, a human telepath, and her brother Animetharusalas**, an arcanist who follows both the path of the warlock and the sorcerer. It is highly unusual for psionic and arcane abilities to emerge within the same family, and as might be expected these two are unusual siblings. Animetharulsalas acts as a mediator and negotiator for Tal Jashar, often aided in this latter task by the perceptions of his sister. The arcanist also dabbles in astrology.

Gardner, who follows the path of the ardent, and who in times of tranquility employs this humble writer as an assistant, tends to the community’s plants and crops. He is a somewhat private individual in most cases, and tends to keep to himself, other than his faithful dog.

The defense of Tal Jashar does not rest solely in Hodur’s massive hands. For that we also look to Rahlna, a maenad who follows the same discipline as the half-giant, though her style of battle is much more precise and tactical in nature.

And finally, there is Grar, a wild dromite who, sadly, was raised in the wild after its birth clutch was destroyed, and thus is not accepted into dromite society as it has no caste of its own. The experience has left Grar somewhat unsettled and unaccustomed to the expectations of society, but it remains an amiable if somewhat unpredictable member of the community. Grar is named for the fact that, like Hodur, it is capable of only a single vocalization, though unlike Hodur the dromite has the capability of telepathic speech. Grar has no regular role in the community, other than to wander about and bring news of things happening in the caverns and tunnels surrounding us.

It was just this sort of event that led to Tal Jashar’s most recent crisis. Grar had been mentioning to whomever would stop to listen that it smelled a queen nearby, though it could not locate this queen. This was unusual, as there are no dromite colonies nearby, although recently a diplomatic envoy was sent to the nearest colony to discuss certain trade disputes (a task which I must say was handled admirably by all involved). Grar, of course, was not included in the envoy, as his presence tends to unnerve other dromites. It was during our absence that Grar apparently encountered the scent of the ‘queen’ in its wanderings.

Soon, the town became aware that Grar had not been seen in some time. This in itself is not unusual, as Grar frequently wanders, and so its departure was hardly noteworthy at the time. However, when three weeks had passed, some in the community began to notice its absence, as usually Grar returned from its explorations within twelve days or so.

It was Northaly who first suggested attempting to track down the missing dromite. She recruited the aid of Animetharusalas and Gardner and went to speak with the town’s children, who are often seen playing with Grar (Grar is surprisingly gentle with the children, referring to them as the ‘soft ones’ – of course, it uses the same phrase to describe all humanoids that do not wear armor regularly). The children report seeing Grar leaving through the mushroom fields just outside of town, its tattered rucksack under one arm. Following its most likely path of travel, Gardner discovered that Grar had left a clearly visible trail, quite unusual since the dromite normally leaves no trace of its passage. Clearly, Grar wished for us to follow.

I immediately went to gather supplies for the journey, and while in town I informed Rahlna of our discoveries, and she agreed to join the expedition (Hodur, as is his way, was already in the company of Northaly when we had first set out). Once gathered, the company set out along the trail left by Grar.

The first day’s travel was uneventful, save for the usual hazards of life in the Underdark. As the day grew late, it became even more abundantly clear that Grar had intended us to follow him, as Gardner discovered that the dromite had left a trail mark for ‘camp’ near a side cavern, obviously advising us to take our rest.

After an uneventful night, we set out again along the dromite’s trail. Within a few hours we came to a wide area within the caverns, where in several places could be seen water dripping from stalactites hanging overhead and collecting in pools on the stone floor. Unfortunately, this chamber apparently lay atop another similar cavern just below, and in several places the natural erosion had left gaping, crumbling holes in the rock, opening to a precipitous fall into the darkness. Still, the trail led forward, and so there was no question but the chamber must be crossed. Gardner mapped out what he believed was the safest path across, and bravely volunteered to lead the way. Master Gardner moved across the broken floor smoothly (I of course offered what assistance I could), and was able to cross the most treacherous portion of the cavern. As I went back to assist the next person, I spotted an unusual object nestled into the cavern wall, an object that could not be clearly discerned in the gloom, but was neither stone nor fungal growth. I mentioned my observation to Animetharusalas, but sadly my own description of the unusual object must have been lacking, for although his own examination was able to find the object I had mentioned, he was unable to further discern its nature.

Meanwhile, Hodur and Northaly were attempting the crossing, but their attention was quickly diverted when one of the ‘puddles’ near Gardner rose up and menaced him with a glistening brownish-yellow pseudopod. Much to my own embarrassment, I shouted out that the creature was a reasonstealer, a rare but insidious ooze that feeds upon the intellect of its victims and absorbs their talents. I should have realized, of course, that a company of beings as astute as these five would already know this. Indeed, all my exclamation served to do was to cause Mistress Rahlna to lose her footing. Fortunately, her own battle-honed reflexes meant she only suffered a moment’s embarrassment.

The battle was soon joined. Though I have no doubt that Master Gardner could have dispatched the mindless ooze single-handedly, it is not in the nature of these brave companions to allow one of their number to face danger unaided. Hodur and Rahlna joined Gardner in his fight with the reasonstealer, with Animetharusalas and Northaly providing critical tactical support from a distance.

At one point in the battle, Hodur gestured toward a nearby rock outcropping, having spotted something unusual. It wasn’t until later in the battle, when the reasonstealer had nearly been vanquished, that the object Hodur had spotted was revealed to be a goblin. The other unusual object I had seen earlier was revealed as a second goblin, who had been hidden in the rocks along with its companion, perhaps hoping to loot the corpses of the reasonstealer’s victims, as is the nature of goblins. Both of the goblins fled, though Animetharusalas wounded one of them.

Pressing onward, within an hour’s travel we came upon a most unusual sight. It appeared that someone had attempted to construct a temple or some sort of ceremonial edifice by carving it out of the solid rock walls of the cavern. With resources always in short supply, and since the deities of Aelfenn have little influence in the Underdark, given the proclivity of its residents toward psionics, such buildings are understandably rare.

Hodur approached the large double doors, which sat atop a short flight of stairs, while Gardner used his psionic powers to examine the stone portal for any dangerous mechanisms. Just as Hodur was about to batter the doors down, Northaly discovered that they were not secured, and began to push them open. To our surprise, they began to swing open fully of their only accord, revealing a foyer filled with most unusual creatures.

There were seven insect-like humanoids, somewhat like dromites, though they stood the height of elves and had features strongly resembling bees. Each of them had a pair of tattered, atrophied wings on their back, which twitched spasmodically as they turned to look at the people intruding on their home. I realized, as I am sure the other did as well, that these beings originated on the surface, not in the Underdark, and that they might well possess some sort of hive-mind.

Animetharusalas immediately stepped forward and attempted to engage these bee-creatures in a friendly dialogue. The creatures were obviously in dialogue with each other, though we had no readily available means of understanding them. Northaly, however, used her powers to link into their thoughts. She described a sensation of emptiness, as though they did in fact have a hive-mind that was somehow inactive or being suppressed. She also felt a sense of hunger, thirst, fatigue, and discomfort, as well as curiosity and a sense of sullen anger directed at something other than our group. She then felt another presence within the creature’s consciousness, that detected her and forced her out, while commanding the creatures to attack.

Northaly cried out a warning, but the creatures did not attack; they seemed confused by the order, given our peaceful approach, and were struggling with indecision. Animetharusalas, who had moved in among the bee-creatures trying to ask about Grar, noted that in an area just beyond the entry, a dart trap had been discharged – evidence that something not familiar with this building had been through recently. Gardner also noticed small humanoid footprints in the dirt – goblins. We attempted to offer the creatures food and water, but the overriding command to attack us finally became too much to withstand. Some of the creatures fell to the floor, writhing in mental agony, while others were on the offensive. Hodur and Rahlna immediately moved forward to engage the hostile bee-men, with Hodur using his powers to grow to truly fearsome size, while Gardner and Animetharusalas took up a defensive posture since they were surrounded. One of the creatures in the rear used some sort of natural ability, filling the air with a soporific drone created by its wings, which fortunately we were all able to shake off.

Gardner was scratched by the claws of one creature, while Animetharusalas narrowly avoided injury (I was able to distract one of the creatures long enough for the warlock to avoid its stinger, though I received the injury in his stead and was afflicted by their paralytic venom). Though we were loath to destroy creatures so obviously not in full control of their own actions, we still had to defend ourselves. Gardner attempted to aid those creatures who had fallen before the battle began, but his efforts were for naught, as they expired due to some sort of psychic feedback.

Soon the opposition was eliminated, and we were faced with many unanswered questions: who were these strange creatures, and why were they here? Who or what was the strange presence in their minds? Were the goblins involved? And where was Grar? Clearly, we had no choice but to press forward.

At the far end of the chamber were two large doors set to either side, with no clear way of telling where they might lead. Northaly took the initiative, opening the right door and striding into the dark chamber beyond. Two things became immediately apparently to her; that the chamber beyond was vast and relatively unworked, and that several goblins were laying in wait for her. But as the battle was joined again, it became apparent that these were no ordinary goblins. For one, they were armed and armored much better than most of their ilk, suggesting a mercenary group of some kind. More importantly, the goblins did not shirk from combat as they were wounded, as is typically seen with goblinoids, but pressed their attack ferociously, as if being driven. They even held their ground against Hodur, who was dispatching goblins in a rather messy fashion.

It was a fierce battle, and several members of the company were wounded, but at last Animetharusalas and Gardner were able to break away and flank the goblins, while Hodur, Rahlna, and Northaly broke through their line and scattered them. Once their wounds had been tended to, our group proceeded down a short corridor to another area. Just beyond a partially collapsed passageway stood two of the bee creatures, each guarding a door. These were larger than the others we had encountered in the foyer, obviously some sort of warrior caste. They took no note of our approach, even as we came within feet of them. Once it was confirmed that there was nothing of interest down the collapsed passage, the company began to consider the problem these two warriors presented. Northaly established mental contact with one of the creatures, and found that its consciousness was being overridden with a single command – guard the door.

After a brief discussion, a plan was formed. I approached the two bee creatures and attempted to engage them in a conversation, using magic to make myself understood. They did not react, but their attention was diverted enough for Animetharusalas to slip past them and try one of the doors. It was locked, but Northaly, standing nearby, heard something moving about on the other side, and realizing that time was of the essence, asked Hodur to approach and force entry.

With a telekinetic squeal of glee, Grar emerged from the darkness, chattering about how it had found a queen as it clutched Hodur’s massive leg.. Moments later, we learned that it spoke the truth, as emerging from the same room came another creature, much like the warrior bee creatures, but nearly twice as large and distinctly female in form, dressed in the tattered remains of once fine clothing. The queen greeted us telepathically, and then with a glance at her two warriors, ended the compulsion holding them. The two warriors went to one knee before her, and the queen told us that she would take her remaining vassals and flee, as she had no wish to deal further with The Mindbender***. With that, the three beings left. Grar volunteered to escort them away from the area.

(It should be mentioned that after returning from our journey, I researched these creatures and learned that they are known as abeil, a surface-dwelling insectoid race with traits similar to those of the dromites.)

Now we knew what was responsible for the enslavement of these hapless beings, as well as the goblins. And there was but one door remaining unopened. After readying ourselves for battle, Hodur burst open the door and we moved forward. The chamber beyond was bathed in light, unlike the rest of the temple, and at the end of a short corridor was a room dominated by a throne on a raised dais. Seated upon the throne was a robed and hooded figure. Animetharusalas was the first to step forward, hoping to engage this being (presumably The Mindbender) in a dialogue and convince him that our group represented some sort of regional authority. His presentation was marred slightly when Master Animetharusalas was struck by a devious hidden trap that flung a spear into his thigh. It was surely only the distraction that this provided that caused the warlock’s ruse to falter. The Mindbender told us that we were not welcome. He was about to expand further, but Animetharusalas, knowing the danger that a being like The Mindbender could present if allowed to speak, initiated an attack. The Mindbender was ravaged by Animetharusalas’ eldritch blasts, Hodur’s greataxe, Northaly’s energy bolts, and Rahlna’s whip-dagger. Even though the damage inflicted was considerable, The Mindbender appeared relatively unfazed.

Which is why it rather surprised all of us when he exploded.

We were all deluged with a burst of foul psionic energy. I must confess I know little of what happened next, as I was overcome by a blinding pain in my head and lost consciousness briefly. I was told later that after my collapse, The Mindbender coalesced into a humanoid-formed shape made of light and flew rapidly out of the room, faster than any of us could react. Gardner explained that there is a theory that some practitioners of psionic disciplines can reach a state where they transcend their physical beings, though they have greater influence in the physical world if they are able to inhabit a host body. It is a possibility that this Mindbender was just such a being.

With the enemy gone, and our companion recovered, there was little left for the company to do but return home to Tal Jashar, to await what fortune may bring to them.

-----------------------------------

* Remember a while back, when I said that it was ironic that someone had brought up the Song of Ice and Fire series? This is why. The Hodur in our game is patterned exactly after the Hodur from the books. What can I say? It's not exactly a fully serious campaign.

** In the course of the game, we refer to the character by 'Ani' (much like 'Ariadne' became 'Arrie'). It wouldn't be in Pepin's nature, however, to use an abbreviation, which means I have to write the whole damn name out every time (Thank goodnes for cut n' paste).

*** Just to be clear, this is a name, not a reference to the prestige class (since the mindbender is an arcane prestige class, and The Mindbender is psionic).

Sinewgrab

Explorer
Delemental said:
** In the course of the game, we refer to the character by 'Ani' (much like 'Ariadne' became 'Arrie'). It wouldn't be in Pepin's nature, however, to use an abbreviation, which means I have to write the whole damn name out every time (Thank goodnes for cut n' paste).

*** Just to be clear, this is a name, not a reference to the prestige class (since the mindbender is an arcane prestige class, and The Mindbender is psionic).

ethandrew

First Post
I just finished reading this entirely from start to finish, not in one sitting of course, and I must admit that I was enraptured by the story and the campaign in general. My group is in hiatus at the moment and I found this to be a splendid distraction.

Delemental

First Post
ethandrew said:
I just finished reading this entirely from start to finish, not in one sitting of course, and I must admit that I was enraptured by the story and the campaign in general. My group is in hiatus at the moment and I found this to be a splendid distraction.

Thank you. And I hope your own gaming resumes soon.

ethandrew

First Post
Delemental said:
Thank you. And I hope your own gaming resumes soon.

I should give you more kudos than the obligatory "I liked it," so from a writing standpoint, the voice is excellent. You are able to weave an intricate balance of all characters (whom offer you that opportunity) and all their applicable storylines. The development and chemistry between all is superb, even if you have to make some of it up. You are obviously a very skilled writer.

I find this storyhour more enjoyable than the others for some reason, and I can't put my finger on it quite yet. Suffice it to say, I've subscribed and eagerly await all updates. Also, I wouldn't tattle on any copyright infringement if your party's URL was made available, as I'm sure most of your readers would agree.

Delemental

First Post
ethandrew said:
I should give you more kudos than the obligatory "I liked it," so from a writing standpoint, the voice is excellent. You are able to weave an intricate balance of all characters (whom offer you that opportunity) and all their applicable storylines. The development and chemistry between all is superb, even if you have to make some of it up. You are obviously a very skilled writer.

Thanks again, especially for the comment about balance. As I've said in the past, I do try hard to give everyone a little spotlight time.

I find this storyhour more enjoyable than the others for some reason, and I can't put my finger on it quite yet.

It's probably the rampant high-level, high magic cheesiness. That and the sex. Sex sells. ;)

Suffice it to say, I've subscribed and eagerly await all updates. Also, I wouldn't tattle on any copyright infringement if your party's URL was made available, as I'm sure most of your readers would agree.

My reasons for not making our group's site public are more than just concerns about a few pictures. Our DM does entertain thoughts of publishing his setting, and there is a good deal of information about Aelfenn on the site. Whether he ever does publish or not, it would be pretty unfair of me to let it all be in the public domain.

And the picture copyright is a concern for me as well - not so much for fear of getting caught, but more an effort to respect the work of those artists whose work I have used for inspiration. However, it occurs to me that if I could dig up links to the originals, I don't see why I couldn't post links here. I'll see if I can hunt some of them down.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads