Black Flag Tales of the Valiant playtest packet three is live.

mamba

Legend
Very interesting reading these reactions. I haven't read the packet yet, but did read some reactions on the kobold discord. It's pretty brutal there in disliking it…
haven’t looked at any reactions, but I did skim the package instead. I like the tweaks to the minor foes like goblins, ghouls, etc., I did hope for dragons to get more skills though, after going through those minor foes and working my way up, I hoped for / expected more.

Not sure what the reviews were expecting, that these stay rather similar to the CC versions was a given.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
agreed, more convenient and more flexible (does not need to be an actual spell)
Speaking of spells. I was re-reading Shadowdark this morning and I remembered to add something to my post above:

Please, please, please shorten the spells' descriptions, I dont need a book of spell fluff; a single sentence is quite enough. And have the spell do what it says. Invisibility should make you actually invisible, not hard to spot, for example.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Not sure what the reviews were expecting, that these stay rather similar to the CC versions was a given.
With all of these projects (and I include 1D&D in here), people wanting a completely different game seem to be missing the point.

Kobold Press, WotC, MT Black (he has his own PHB over on DriveThruRPG), EN Publishing and presumably Cubicle 7 want books that will work with the stash of stuff 5E players and DMs have now.

So, yeah, they're not going to be completely reinventing the wheel at this point. Subsequent releases might stray further afield, but right now, it's important that everyone has, say, a recognizable red dragon or a recognizable fighter class, so that groups can use this with Tales from the Yawning Portal or Tasha's Cauldron of Everything or whatever.

The people who want a completely different system should go, you know, explore the tons of completely different systems already out there.

Last edited:

mamba

Legend
I don't like the approach with having fixed damage in the statblock but then having different dice for different sizes to look up in a separate table, if I want to not use fixed damage. I'd rather have the dice to roll in brackets behind the fixed number, like D&D does it.

DamageTiny or SmallMedium or LargeHuge or Gargantuan
31d3 + 11d4 + 11d6
4 1d4 +11d6 + 21d8
51d6 + 11d81d10
61d6 + 21d101d12

Saves me the trouble of looking this up.

renbot

Adventurer
I don't like the approach with having fixed damage in the statblock but then having different dice for different sizes to look up in a separate table, if I want to not use fixed damage. I'd rather have the dice to roll in brackets behind the fixed number, like D&D does it.

31d3 + 11d4 + 11d6
41d4 +11d6 + 21d8
51d6 + 11d81d10
61d6 + 21d101d12

I was just about to post this. I understand the value of having fixed damage for increased ease, but both values (dice and fixed damage) need to be in the stat block to provide an easy way for the DM to choose. I'm not a fan of unnecessary die rolling, but the swinginess (swingyness? does spelling matter for a made-up-word?) of monster damage is the kind of thing that often causes the whole table to wince in pain or sigh in relief ("I can't belief the badass boss only did 7 points of damage to the cleric with 9 hp!").

renbot

Adventurer

31d3 + 11d4 + 11d6
41d4 +11d6 + 21d8
51d6 + 11d81d10
61d6 + 21d101d12

PS: and why different die choices based on the size of the creature?? It almost seems to be saying "if you don't like our simplified damage we will punish you with this ridiculously complicated table!"

renbot

Adventurer
agreed, more convenient and more flexible (does not need to be an actual spell)
Sorry for the brief tangent, but I think WotC hit on the best compromise in Candlekeep: the casters had a comprehensive list of spells, then the ones most likely to be used in combat got a brief write-up under Actions. So if your Master Sage was going to cast Drawmij's Instant Summons, you probably had to grab a PHB (or you have an encyclopedic D&D memory). But shield, fireball, shocking grasp, etc., were right there in the statblock. Best of both worlds.

And like most compromises, both sides complained. This is why we can't have nice things!!

Remove ads