• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Talislanta 5e Kickstarter is live!

I love Talislanta and after seeing the race roster, I kinda want to run this as a campaign. (Or publish an adventure for it, though I wonder how many people would actually buy it.)

Tenbones

First Post
From what I'm reading, they didn't specify which "Dark Ages" they were emulating, leaving it up to the reader to identify it with the dark ages experienced by their own cultures.

And even if they did mean it in the European sense, the 5th and 6th centuries were pretty garbage worldwide, at least until the reunification of a previously divided and warring China under the Sui Dynasty in 581. Even the most stable political entities during that period, Sassanid Persia and the Eastern Roman Empire, had a pretty bad time of it, incessesantly warring against each other (culminating in the great war of 602 - 628 which mutually wrecked both empires) while simultaneously dealing with incursions from the steppes by the Avars, Hephthalites, Turks, and so on...

Sent from my VS987 using EN World mobile app

Nope, it has nothing to do with "the Dark Ages" of historical western-European designation.

We mean it from the perspective of the setting. The world blew up. It's still in the process of cooling down. And the races that have emerged from the aftermath of the cataclysm are forming tribes that will one day become the great kingdoms and empires of the later Talislanta editions (and some might remain tribes, and others will go outright extinct, at least according to "canon"- and I use that term extremely loosely).

It's savage, tribal and when we say "Dark" it means there are no civilizations per se. Conan would be a "city-slicker" in the Savage Lands, heh.

Edit: when I say "we" - I was one of the writers of the setting material for Savage Lands.

Tenbones

First Post
No magic casting? Hmmm.... Tough sell.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

There is magic. It's just ritualistic and tied into being a skill more than traditional "spellcasting" from Talislanta (which normally is more powerful than D&D by scale).

This is not to say there isn't any magic, in the forms of devices and gear etc. The legacy of the ancient Archaen's radically powerful magical past is laying in the ruins to be discovered. In fact, your PC might be one of those things.

But if you're looking for the traditional RPG Wizard - nope.

Remove ads