• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Talislanta vs. d20

Tenbones

First Post
I realize you're talking about JEL, and I for one don't think d20 gamers are necesarily *stupid* since I happen to be one, and don't think of myself in such terms. And I also realize there's more than a bit of sarcasm to your post...

... however....

You illustrate a point that is all too common in any niche endeavor, be it gaming, programming, RC racing, whatever...

Whoever is top dog is going to have shots taken at it for good reasons, some for not-so-good reasons. d20 is the Windows of the gaming world. Some operating systems out there do, in fact, outperform Windows in some functions, other's in many functions. But in overall ease of use and familiarity Windows wins. why? because it caters to the least common denominator. Sure you can slap a GUI on LINUX (pick your flavor, and purist's please don't wretch) and say it's as good as Windows, but most Windows user's will defend it with their dying breath. I happen to see both sides of the coin.

So while though this is a d20 board, it doesn't hurt, or in any way cast doubt on the whole of the d20 community for someone to point out the flaws in the system. No system is "perfect" simply because it's subjective (obviously). That said, I'd be interested to know what you think of the Talislanta system compared to d20. Pros? Cons?

Unseelie

First Post
Tenbones said:
I realize you're talking about JEL, and I for one don't think d20 gamers are necesarily *stupid* since I happen to be one, and don't think of myself in such terms. And I also realize there's more than a bit of sarcasm to your post...

... however....

You illustrate a point that is all too common in any niche endeavor, be it gaming, programming, RC racing, whatever...

Whoever is top dog is going to have shots taken at it for good reasons, some for not-so-good reasons. d20 is the Windows of the gaming world. Some operating systems out there do, in fact, outperform Windows in some functions, other's in many functions. But in overall ease of use and familiarity Windows wins. why? because it caters to the least common denominator. Sure you can slap a GUI on LINUX (pick your flavor, and purist's please don't wretch) and say it's as good as Windows, but most Windows user's will defend it with their dying breath. I happen to see both sides of the coin.

So while though this is a d20 board, it doesn't hurt, or in any way cast doubt on the whole of the d20 community for someone to point out the flaws in the system. No system is "perfect" simply because it's subjective (obviously). That said, I'd be interested to know what you think of the Talislanta system compared to d20. Pros? Cons?

I'm not sure who you're talking to... it reads like a response to someone.

Anyhow, as an owner of the old Talislanta, and both 3.0 and 3.5e D&D I think, IMO, that Talislanta is a much more interesting and developed world than anything published by WotC for D&D.

System wise? I much prefer D20. If the new edition of Talislanta had been published at a D20 product, I would have bought it in a heartbeat. As it is, I look at it every time I hit the FLGS, but it always goes back on the shelf.

Remove ads