• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Talislanta

Tenbones

First Post
[Originally Posted by RangerWickett
Tal d20 would accomplish the same thing any other system adaptation accomplishes: it makes people who normally stay inside the d20 system look at things that they'd otherwise have missed.]

Hmm. I would have to disagree with you on this conclusion based on my own experience. Most players comfortable with a system do not jump systems to play the "real" thing if they start playing a conversion. I do not know *any* gamers that play Oriental Adventures/d20 Rokugan that went over to play Legends of the Five Rings. I don't know *any* GURPS players that went over to play Vampire or Mage, after playing their GURPS version. Likewise, I don't know any D&D players using Swashbuckling Adventures that ran out and bought 7 Seas. Does it ever happen? I'm sure it does... but I seriously doubt that the impact on the gaming population for that particular game is noticeable.

Dancey himself intimated that d20 is there to be that juggernaut that other brands want to get a piece of. Why? because its got the largest player-base with a consistant if not growing population. If anything, dual-system games help d20 a *lot* more than d20 helps the other half. Otherwise why have dual-stated books out there? Obviously to force both camps of people to buy the same book.

The issue for me is that while I still like d20, and it has a lot going for it, doing d20 Talislanta is like saying, "Hey everyone! Let's turn this Ferarri into a Monster Truck." Note that I'm not saying d20 is a piece of crap (it's a Monster Truck for God's sake. It's big, it's tough, somewhat customizable, and people like plowing through crap (bad adventures modules)with it.) I'm saying that it's not as streamlined and efficient as Talislanta's system.

Then again, it sounds like you're just mining Talislanta for it's ideas and races etc. I don't think the d20 magic system in the PHB comes even remotely close to the versatility of the Talislanta system which is a huge drawback. To me that's the largest hurdle for you. Most of the other issues can be swept under the rug (which would be ugly, and wipe out a lot of the color of Talislanta), but acceptable to the d20 populace at large. I think the best that would come from this is Arcana Unearthed-looking confection.

Numion

First Post
JEL said:
So it accomplishes helping people who are too close minded and/or stupid to learn a new set of rules. Do these people play every board game using Monopoly rules?

I think those people who fail to see the advantages of Tal d20 are stupid and close minded NYAH-NYAH-NYAH!!!11!!oneoneone!!

Nah, I'm just tired that fans of this or that nifty fantasy game come over to a D&D board with that attitude .. ADVENTURE! is the bestest, Riddle of the Steel is the best system evar, 7th Sea .. etc and "doing a d20 of any of those settings is teh stupid and sacrilege". That silent wail and hat of d02 got old way back. Youre of course entitled to opinion and all that, but it seems a little counter-productive to come to a d20 board to say that a d20-conversion of something is stupid.

Unseelie

First Post
Voadam said:
Isn't Guardians of Order doing a d20 Talislanta? I think it was scheduled for 2003 but got pushed back to 2004. I think it is referenced in their year end thread in the publisher's section. I also think I saw an entry for the book on Amazon.com.

No, that would be Tekumel... M.A.R. Barker's Empire of the Petal Throne.

Unseelie

First Post
JEL said:
I love Tal, but I'm failing to see what a D20 conversion would achieve. Other than adding some unneeded complexity, what would D20 do that the current rules don't already handle? Not trying to be a troll here; I honestly just don't see the point in it.

Umm, increase the audience perhaps...

Jai Kel

Lurker Extraordinaire
1. I used to be perhaps the most rabid Tal fan in existence. It is a salient crown to hold, however... :(

2. Anyone here remember the newsletter I used to produce called *The Crucible*? :)

3. I always dreamt that a d20 Tal would have flown from the shelves and brought lots of new players to Tal, but that was back at the dawn of the d20 Age. Now, I think the moment has passed. ;)

Finally. We need a Talislanta Message Icon for these boards! :p

-Jai Kel

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads