• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Talisman 4E! Whoa!

Agamon

Adventurer
Treebore said:
I have never owned Talisman. I have only played it. I enjoyed it enough that I am determined to get this edition for Christmas.

Me, too. And I've only played 1E at that (making my post above even less credible!). Looking forward to picking this up, rather than spend too much money on a dog-eared 2E copy on eBay.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Die cut cardboard counters instead of minis? first I heard of this.

In 2007?

Honestly, I think that's a component decision which is pretty 2nd rate in this current market.

Go big or stay home.

Korgoth

First Post
Steel_Wind said:
Die cut cardboard counters instead of minis? first I heard of this.

In 2007?

Honestly, I think that's a component decision which is pretty 2nd rate in this current market.

Go big or stay home.

I don't think it needs minis. There are probably a lot of different characters, and possibly more coming in expansions. I'd also rather pay $50 for the game than $90. I guess if I was Bill Gates all of my board games would use a jewel-encrusted chalice as a component. But I don't need to spend an extra 20-40 dollars just to have plastic minis that are of no use outside the board game.

Arkham Horror does just fine with cardboard pieces. They're really high quality. Even if the Talisman ones are lesser, they will still be just fine.

In the original Talisman, they weren't even cardboard. Just glossy paper. And we had fun with them.

Trouvere

Explorer
Ha... When I started reading this thread, I wondered whether anyone would mention Titan. Man, the 13 year old me loved that game. My friend who lived next door owned it, while I had Talisman. We played a bit of Car Wars too. And does anyone besides me remember the Lost Worlds 'fantasy combat book game', by Nova Games (much inferior followups years later by Greysea, Chessex and Flying Buffalo)?

1st Edition Talisman was basically a black-and-white, thinner version. 2nd Edition Talisman was hands-down my favorite. We banned the Monk and the Archmage from the City expansion, and houseruled that the Abyss card killed you irrevocably instead of hurling you into the Timescape.

3rd Edition blew. Bought it. Didn't do much with it.

I am so all over this, if the game is good.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Simplicity said:
As much as I want to get this... I can't. It looks like it's exactly the same game as 2nd edition Talisman with updated graphics. I have like 3 expansions for the 2nd edition game, updated artwork is not going to get me to go back to vanilla. :-/

You should see how battered my 1e Talisman set is. :)

Seriously, if you have original (2e) Talisman + expansions, you don't *really* need this set, although it has a few interesting rule tweaks...

Cheers!

Particle_Man

Explorer
Trouvere said:
And does anyone besides me remember the Lost Worlds 'fantasy combat book game', by Nova Games (much inferior followups years later by Greysea, Chessex and Flying Buffalo)?

Heck yeah, my proudest moment was beating up a Cold Drake solo with an unadjusted Skeleton with Scimitar and Shield (The Cold Drake ran away, tail between its legs, with 1 body point left). Boo-yah!

Oh, the reviews say that 4e is like 2e, with some rules clarifications and clean up, but also with options for making the game faster. One review recommends laminating the little character cards so that they don't fall out of their plastic bases (which was a bane of 2e, we usually stuck a gold piece in there to help hold them up).

I think the Monk wasn't too powerful before the expansions came out, because there was less equipment around so not being able to use swords, axes, helmets, shields or armor in combat hurt more.

frankthedm

First Post
Korgoth said:
I don't think it needs minis. There are probably a lot of different characters, and possibly more coming in expansions. I'd also rather pay $50 for the game than $90. I guess if I was Bill Gates all of my board games would use a jewel-encrusted chalice as a component. But I don't need to spend an extra 20-40 dollars just to have plastic minis that are of no use outside the board game.
I'd would have prefered the minis, but the price difference is a big thing to the retail market.

Arkham Horror does just fine with cardboard pieces.
Nope, I'll cut Black library slack since fantasy minis can be gotton easily, but not FFG. I love FFG's boardgames, but I demands minis from anything I buy from them.

Treebore

First Post
frankthedm said:
I'd would have prefered the minis, but the price difference is a big thing to the retail market.

Nope, I'll cut Black library slack since fantasy minis can be gotton easily, but not FFG. I love FFG's boardgames, but I demands minis from anything I buy from them.

Maybe FFG plans on doing mini's for the Talisman game and expansions.

Sold separately, of course.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads