• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Talisman 4th Edition

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
For those who have it: is the update pack worth it? My wife is pretty interested, but paying another hefty percentage of the original game's price and tossing a lot of the old game materials kind of turns me off.

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
For those who have it: is the update pack worth it? My wife is pretty interested, but paying another hefty percentage of the original game's price and tossing a lot of the old game materials kind of turns me off.
I recommend buying the full new game to get all the new components, including board, counters, and rulebook.

I plan on ordering an upgrade back to have extra cards to use for making custom cards.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter

If you don't plan to get any expansions, then no, it isn't worth it.

However, the expansion cards (e.g. the Reaper) are not compatible with the original 4e version. You need the upgrade pack to use them.

Cheers!

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
I had my first death from the Grim Reaper on Sunday.

I sent the Reaper to my opponent. He rolled for his fate, and a result of five sent the Reaper to where I was in the Chapel. I rolled, and a result of one had me frantically spending a Fate to re-roll. The second throw also came up one, and I was obliterated.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
If you don't plan to get any expansions, then no, it isn't worth it.

However, the expansion cards (e.g. the Reaper) are not compatible with the original 4e version. You need the upgrade pack to use them.

Cheers!
We'll just have to decide if the expansions are worth the extra dough, then. Thanks!

juggler434

First Post
We've found in our games that even with fate, we get quite a few toads. Maybe not as many as before, but there is something extra hillarious when someone decides they don't need that extra strength/craft/spell/fate because they have plenty so spend a fate to reroll and get turned into a toad.

Ambrus

Explorer
I had the original 4th edition version and then purchased the upgrade pack. I also updated my game board by downloading, printing, trimming and carefully pasting the revised scroll text available on the FFG website on the appropriate spaces. The patches ended up matching so well with the printed board that I have to run my fingers over it to feel for the raised surface of the stickers to figure out which spaces have them.

The game plays very well with Fate, though it does certainly make toads much more scarce; I've yet to see any in the first few games I've played since the upgrade.

I also acquired the Reaper Expansion at the same time. It includes some nice new cards and characters for the game. And although the Grim Reaper is an ominous presence on the board, he has yet to have any effect during any of our played games seeing as how he rarely if ever gets close to any characters; he simply isn't moved often enough for it to occur.

This past weekend I also bought the Dungeon expansion and gave it a whirl. It's much as I remember it being in the 2e version of the game. The general consensus is that's its a meat-grinder with plenty of challenging monster encounters but few payoffs. Still, two of the players spent a fair bit of time in the dungeon exploring its halls; though neither of them won in the end. So, all in all, a fun though challenging addition to the game.

During this latter session, the Witch appeared on the board and, with a few fate tokens in reserve, she isn't the toad-turning terror that she once. In fact, with the significant bonuses she offers to those who encounter her, I spent a fair amount of time hovering around her space so as to meet her over and over again. In the end, I never had to spend fate on her, got a significant power boost and ended up winning the game. So yeah, toads are indeed much rarer thanks to the fate mechanic. One idea might be to allow competing players to spend their own fate tokens to counter the fate token expenditures of unfortunate players. :devil:

Melba Toast

First Post
The Dungeon expansion sounds disappointing. I had hoped it would add more depth to the game and provide more options for movement, but it appears to be little more than a linear sidetrack.

Remove ads