• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tanking Classes/PrCs

Kabol

First Post
I was Curious - Im looking through differant books tryign to find a good Tanking/Defender style Class/PrC. I know there is the Dwarven Defender ( not a dwarf though ) and Defender of Sealtiel ( BoED - But that whole book is broken and the class is too powerful ) And after that I coulnt find any others.

What PrCs really shine at taking Hits and coming back for more?

Kabol

First Post
Would the Dwarven Defender be .. Broken is it allowed other races into it?

Woudl a .. Elvin Defender, or Human Defender with the exact same abilities and progression be unbalanced?

Kabol said:
Would the Dwarven Defender be .. Broken is it allowed other races into it?

Woudl a .. Elvin Defender, or Human Defender with the exact same abilities and progression be unbalanced?

I hardly believe it would unbalance anything. If anything, it would likely weaken the PrC for non-dwarves since the very base ability for the class, the Defensive Stance, is based off the character's Constitution and since dwarves recieve a Constitution bonus, it only helps them more.

Otherwise, I don't think it would hardly matter. Though not in any game I've played in, I've seen NPC "Dwarven Defenders" that were certainly not dwarven.

daTim

First Post
I really like the Dwarven Defender, but would never take the prestige class, it is far too limiting not being able to move.

I just found the Dwarven Battlesmith Prc in Races of Stone and absolutly love it. It allows fighting types of to craft their own magical armor and weapons, and it meshes with cleric well. It's not OGC, but I'll briefly outline a few abilities of it.

- Lets you create your own Armor
- Bonus to AC of armor you make

Semi-Edit: Just realized you werent a Dwarf... How about Devoted Defender, I think that was in Complete Warrior?

JoeBlank

Explorer
The Tactical Soldier prestige class in Compete Warrior is similar to the Devoted Defender, but a little more versatile. I used it for a bodyguard type.

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
The Warmain from MCAU is a 20-level class with good defensive and offensive abilities. You can get them and the other AU combat classes in the Way of the Sword .pdf from White Wolf's online catalog. You'll also get the unfettered, which is IMO the best light fighter class out there.

Branok

First Post
Hordebreaker PrC

Another PrC that's similar to the Dwarven Defender is the Hordebreaker, in the FR Silver Marches, which grants favored enemies, Hold the line( you get AoO's against foes who charge you), Tough to Kill (another name for Die-Hard ;) ), Horde Knowledge, which isn't that useful (kind of a bardic knowledge check regarding hordes), and Anvil of Doom, which functions exactly like the dwarven Stance.

It's a 5 level PrC with the following requirements: BaB +5; Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave; Knowledge (Local) 5 ranks, Spot 4 ranks.

I think it's pretty balanced since it grants some useful abilities, while placing some restrictions, which aren't that great.

hong

WotC's bitch
You don't need a PrC for this. Play a fighter or cleric, load up on plate armour, shield and other defensive items, and get Combat Expertise. If you do it right, even giants and dragons will have trouble hitting you in melee. You won't do quite as much damage as the stereotypical greatsword-wielding barb, but you'll survive a lot longer.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads