• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tannhauser - any good?

GodDelusion

First Post
Does anyone play FFG's Tannhauser? If so, how does it rate? My son and I have recently decided that this game looks cool enough to play, however, before I drop coin on the game and at least one expansion, I wanted to see if anyone here had an opinion of the game that they would like to share.

Thanks.

Viashimo

First Post
My friends and I picked it up on a whim. We played it one evening with 5 or 6 of us, each taking a character (one person on each team got 2 minion type guys). It was pretty fun, we only played the capture point game type on one map. Haven't played it since.

It's not terribly complicated imho, and generally well done. I think it just landed on the better side of 'meh'. It could be more interesting just playing with two people than trying to harang a group into the system (at least the enemy's wont hear you debate strategy as much :p )

Asmor

First Post
It's a very good game, but don't let the box fool you... 2-10 players my ass. It's a 2-player game. Period. End of story.

The really cool thing about it is its line-of-sight system. It's got a name which I can't think of off the top of my head. Basically, the idea is that every space is colored, and if you are standing on the same colored space as someone else, you have line of sight to them. Some spaces will have multiple colors, e.g. if a room is grey and the hallway is red, the door between the two would be grey and red.

It's very elegant.

Jhaelen

First Post
I was quite disappointed about it. Neither the factions nor the equipment options are well balanced and the story mode gameplay is underdeveloped. It's reasonably fun for a couple of games but nothing that could hook me for long.

I also have to agree with Asmor, it's definitely a two-player game only.

It has a lot of unused potential, though. Note that FFG is currently playtesting a completely new ruleset for the game.
I'll have another look at the game when the new rules are available.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
The token rules and everything are terribly fiddly. I don't like it much. It has a very poor reputation on BGG.

Cheers!

Jhamin

First Post
I found it very fiddly and felt there were some serious balance problems with a number of the characters & equipment load outs. For example: my group figured out that once you figured out the line of sight mechanics and the minimum range rules it was trivial to make sure the big Machine-gunner could *never* get a shot off against anyone.

I felt like I was fighting the mechanics to get the game to play the way the back of the box described it playing.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
We played it about eight times. I agree that it's too damn fiddly. I don't have a huge urge to play it again, which is a shame because it was expensive.

coyote6

Adventurer
I played a demo at Gen Con, and it seemed like there were balance problems just from that little exposure.

I've been tempted to buy it, 'cause the figures are nice, and I'd use them for RPGs. So far, good sense has won, though. :)

Remove ads