• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tarrasque Question

Ranger5

First Post
A couple of weeks ago, one of my group ran a one shot epic game and in it we went up against the Tarrasque.

During the battle with it, our cleric wanted to cast Greater Bestow Curse from Complete Divine on it. Using Assay Resistance he was able to bypass the creature's SR but a question came up on the effect he wanted to use. I forgot the exact wording of the effect but it essentially says that one use of the spell is to lower one ability score to 1 permanently.

Now the entry on the Tarrasque says (from the SRD):

"immunity to fire, poison, disease, energy drain, and ability damage"

It is the ability damage that gave us pause. Is the effect from Greater Bestow Curse or Bestow Curse for that matter considered ability damage?

Bront

The man with the probe
Given that it is not temporary but permanent damage, I think it might be considered different.

I'd give the creature a save, or re-allow the SR. Give it a chance to work, as it seems a clever idea.

Diirk

First Post
No, the Tarrasque is immune. Damaging one of its abilities, does indeed, fall under the category of 'ability damage'. Whether its permanent or temporary is irrelevant.

Given the wording in the OP, Greater Curse* does neither ability damage nor ability drain.

Rather, it applies a penalty to an ability sufficient to reduce it to a score of 1 (working very similarly to Ray of Enfeeblement).

Thus, the Tarrasque would not be immune.

EDIT:

To add, I assume that it works identically to the lower-level spell Bestow Curse, except in terms of how powerful an effect may be created.

SRD said:
Bestow Curse
Necromancy
Level: Clr 3, Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

You place a curse on the subject. Choose one of the following three effects.
  • –6 decrease to an ability score (minimum 1)
  • –4 penalty on attack rolls, saves, ability checks, and skill checks
  • Each turn, the target has a 50% chance to act normally; otherwise, it takes no action.

You may also invent your own curse, but it should be no more powerful than those described above.

The curse bestowed by this spell cannot be dispelled, but it can be removed with a break enchantment, limited wish, miracle, remove curse, or wish spell.

Bestow curse counters remove curse.

Last edited:

Nail

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Given the wording in the OP, Greater Curse does neither ability damage nor ability drain.

Rather, it applies a penalty to an ability sufficient to reduce it to a score of 1 (working very similarly to Ray of Enfeeblement).

Thus, the Tarrasque would not be immune.
Exactly.

Bestow Curse is not ability drain. Indeed, it doesn't care what your former score was...it changes (or penalizes) it.

moritheil

First Post
That is not damage. Bestow curse does not cause you to go to, for example, 0 con, and die. Pat and Nail have the right of it.

Ranger5

First Post
Thanks. That is what some of us thought. Of course the Tarrasque (and anyone else for that matter really) would also have to fail the Will save as well.

As it turned out the Tarrasque did fail its Will save (with a roll of 1 no less) but since the group was divided on the outcome, the DM decided to roll d100 to determine if it would be affected by the ability penalty. He rolled no that it wouldn't, we all agreed and went on. I will pring it up though to the rest. I'm sure the player of the cleric will be happy he was right.

Thanks again.

Diirk

First Post
Well its definately a penalty, not damage/drain, but it seems a little silly that something immune to damage/drain would be susceptible to mere penalties. I guess its something I just assumed rather than bothered worrying about rules for.

Ahh, time to torment some constructs with Ray of Enfeeblement !

UltimaGabe

First Post
Diirk said:
Ahh, time to torment some constructs with Ray of Enfeeblement !

Actually, that STILL wouldn't work, since Constructs (if I'm not mistaken) are immune to Necromantic effects. Ray of Enfeeblement is a Necromantic Effect. You could very easily, however, hit a Zombie with Ray of Enfeeblement, however.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
UltimaGabe said:
Actually, that STILL wouldn't work, since Constructs (if I'm not mistaken) are immune to Necromantic effects.

You're not mistaken.

Interestingly, undead were also immune to necromantic effects in 3E, but as you note, this no longer applies in 3.5.

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads