• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Tasha's and optimization

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I don't understand you statement. I'm not being difficult here, I really don't get what you're trying to say. Would you mind expanding on your thoughts a little for me?

You've said that pre-Tasha's certain races were precluded from being with certain classes when optimizing. The implication is that with Tasha's races are no longer precluded from being with certain classes.

This is not true. Different races are now precluded from being with certain classes.

Any particular class had races that were "best" for it. Now after Tasha's that class has a different set of races that are "best" for it.

The major difference is that they have less and sometimes even opposed thematic elements.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
You've said that pre-Tasha's certain races were precluded from being with certain classes when optimizing. The implication is that with Tasha's races are no longer precluded from being with certain classes.

This is not true. Different races are now precluded from being with certain classes.

Any particular class had races that were "best" for it. Now after Tasha's that class has a different set of races that are "best" for it.

The major difference is that they have less and sometimes even opposed thematic elements.
I was only talking about stats. I'm not sure that's what you're talking about though. Do you mean just stat-wise or are you taking the whole range of lineage abilities into account?

Scribe

Legend
I was only talking about stats. I'm not sure that's what you're talking about though. Do you mean just stat-wise or are you taking the whole range of lineage abilities into account?
I'd say the whole range.

Given any set of parameters, there will always be a 'best'.

All Tasha's does, is change up what 'best' is, but its still there, even if people dont catch on because they dont optimize to a level that brings that to light.

To state it plainly.

If one would not select race x for class y before because it didnt have the correct +1 modifier attributed with it, then they will likely find a similar situation now, because of special rules instead.

Unless that 5% to hit is just too tasty to deny...

The thing about "ability score bonus in your prime stat" is it's OBVIOUS.

Even players who are not really optimisers think they need it - irrespective of if the maths makes it true or not.

Players who optimise down to the smallest sliver of a benefit are actually very far between. Most players don't want to pore over spreadsheets, they just want to make a fun character.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads