• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tasha's vs Freedom of Movement

random user

First Post
Do these interact in any way? We've had a discussion about it in our gaming group.

Some argue that tasha's doesn't impede movement per se, it's merely an effect of a condition.

Others counter that since it makes you fall prone, unable to move, that it should be covered by freedom of movement. Besides, freedom of movement is such a high level spell a dinky first level (bard) spell shouldn't get around it.

Anyone know what the official word is?

Similarly if a person was almost passing out drunk, would freedom of movement allow that person to move?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
random user said:
Similarly if a person was almost passing out drunk, would freedom of movement allow that person to move?

No.

Similarly, a Suggestion spell ("Why don't you sit on this chair and wait 'til I get back?") wouldn't be affected by Freedom of Movement either. It's not preventing you from moving; it's just preventing you from wanting to...

-Hyp.

Thanee

First Post
Except for Hold Person, which is a denoted exception, Freedom of Movement really shouldn't work against compulsion effects.

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Thanee said:
Except for Hold Person, which is a denoted exception...

Yeah - Hold Person always screws up the nice simple blanket rule :)

I'd rather see Hold Person as a Transmutation - or possibly Necromancy - than an Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting], personally. It acts more like a physical effect than a mental one.

-Hyp.

Thanee

First Post
random user said:
Besides, freedom of movement is such a high level spell a dinky first level (bard) spell shouldn't get around it.

Besides, freedom of movement is such a low level spell it shouldn't get around Otto's irresistible dance. ;)

But that is exactly what would happen, if it would work against Tasha's hideous laughter.

Bye
Thanee

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
Yeah, I've seen Freedom of Movement being used as an excuse to avoid all sorts of effects.

Example:

DM: Ok, you advance but you suddenly hit some sort of unseen barrier

Player: Aha! But I have my Ring of Freedom of Movement! I can't be stopped by a mere Wall of Force! It impedes my movement!

DM: Are you saying that your ring allows you to walk through walls?

*sigh*

Andargor

Last edited:

Ferret

Explorer
So what defense is there against those sorts of spells? Aside from a good will save?

Mind blank would work but thats fairly high level, what about a weaker version called Freedom of mind that would stop any one from influencing you with magic (Tasha's laugh, suggestion, charm person) To keep it a lower level it could only work on spells lower then it's self...

Sorry for the hi-jacking there.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads