• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tauren Player Race [more Warcraft races to come]

Khaalis

Adventurer
For the roles you have listed (Leader & Controller) I would think that the Restoration shaman would be a more appropriate build than the Enhancement shaman. Just a thought.

mrrodgers

First Post
Dragonbait said:
I was wondering when someone would get around to doing this. Cool.

So what, exactly, does PEACH mean?
It means Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly.

I'm on my lunch break, so I got a bit of time to work on the shaman powers, so expect to see those soon.

Khaalis: I am adding the resto to the build options right now, I forgot to add it.

katahn

First Post
A +5 skill bonus for Taurens is a lot more powerful (comparitively speaking) than the rather modest bonuses they get in the MMO, I'd advise toning it down a bit. Warstomp looks good.

Tone down the skill bonus and in its stead give taurens +1 healing surge/day (to mimic their +health bonus in the game). You might also include a paragon tier racial feat "planesrunning".

For shamans I'd make them a primal leader with some controllerish features much like how paladins are a divine defender with some leaderish features.

The real problem with trying to mimic WoW's talent tree system is it flies directly in the face with a core design principle of 4e which is: each class has a core role and that doesn't change. In WoW a druid could be a defender, a striker, or a leader depending on talent choices. For my money, I think trying to introduce the equivilent would be to take away from what makes 4e so good.

Instead take the WoW class and make a decision as to what its core combat role is going to be, then make the "other talent trees" into supplemental class flavor, or a means by which they achieve their core role.

mrrodgers

First Post
katahn said:
A +5 skill bonus for Taurens is a lot more powerful (comparitively speaking) than the rather modest bonuses they get in the MMO, I'd advise toning it down a bit. Warstomp looks good.

Tone down the skill bonus and in its stead give taurens +1 healing surge/day (to mimic their +health bonus in the game). You might also include a paragon tier racial feat "planesrunning".

For shamans I'd make them a primal leader with some controllerish features much like how paladins are a divine defender with some leaderish features.

The real problem with trying to mimic WoW's talent tree system is it flies directly in the face with a core design principle of 4e which is: each class has a core role and that doesn't change. In WoW a druid could be a defender, a striker, or a leader depending on talent choices. For my money, I think trying to introduce the equivilent would be to take away from what makes 4e so good.

Instead take the WoW class and make a decision as to what its core combat role is going to be, then make the "other talent trees" into supplemental class flavor, or a means by which they achieve their core role.
Good point. I am now striking elemental from the list. Enhancement shamans* already do a lot of what the battle cleric does, and resto is, well, resto. Bye bye ele.

*Note: I play an enhancement shaman, so I'm probably biased. Double windfury ftw.

On the tauren: Lol, Plainsrunning. (ah beta, the game has changed a lot since then.) Anyway, the bonus is +3 now, and they get the extra surge.

Last edited:

shadowguidex

First Post
mrrodgers said:
Tauren
RACIAL TRAITS
Average Height: 6' 6"-9'
Average Weight: 400-700 lb.

Ability Scores: +2 Con, +2 Wis
Size: Medium (they're pushing it, but still medium)
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Normal

I'd change to +2 Str, +2 Con.

Languages: Common, Taurahe
Skill Bonuses: +2 Endurance, +2 Nature
Natural Botanist: You gain a +3 racial bonus to Nature and Heal checks that involve herbs and plants.*
Earthen Resilience: You gain an additional healing surge each day.
Tauren Weapon Proficiency: You gain proficiency with the spear and maul.
War Stomp: You gain war stomp as an encounter power.

War Stomp Tauren Racial Attack
Encounter
Standard Action Close Burst 1
Target: Each enemy in burst.
Attack:Strength vs. Fortitude
Effect: Target is stunned for one round.

All good.

Recommended classes: Cleric, Ranger, Druid?, Paladin (makes no sense, I know)

Tauren in WoW can only be Warriors, Druids, Hunters, and Shaman. I'd suggest you change the prefered classes to: Fighter, Ranger, Warlord. Paladin and Priest are definitely not tauren classes.

mrrodgers

First Post
shadowguidex said:
I'd change to +2 Str, +2 Con.

All good.

Tauren in WoW can only be Warriors, Druids, Hunters, and Shaman. I'd suggest you change the prefered classes to: Fighter, Ranger, Warlord. Paladin and Priest are definitely not tauren classes.
I know which classes the tauren can be, and I thought about it for a long time. I just feel wisdom and con feel better than strength. I'm not going for a direct translation. Think about it. A tauren's main motivation is not to fight, but to try and resolve things peacefuly at first. This is a mechanical reflection of that.

Eldorian

First Post
mrrodgers said:
Tauren
RACIAL TRAITS
Average Height: 6' 6"-9'
Average Weight: 400-700 lb.

OK. Maybe a bit heavy.

Ability Scores: +2 Con, +2 Wis
Size: Medium (they're pushing it, but still medium)
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Normal

I want them to have +2 str and +2 wis. In my mind, a 400-700 pound creature can't NOT be stronger than a human on average. Tauren toughness is taken into account with the + 1 healing surge.

Languages: Common, Taurahe
Skill Bonuses: +2 Endurance, +2 Nature

OK.

Natural Botanist: You gain a +3 racial bonus to Nature and Heal checks that involve herbs and plants.*

Confusing. Doesn't stack with the skill bonus from the previous quote. Suggest removal, and the Tauren's familiarity with herbalism will be accounted for in the skill bonus to Nature.

Earthen Resilience: You gain an additional healing surge each day.
Tauren Weapon Proficiency: You gain proficiency with the spear and maul.

OK. Maybe a bonus with Greatclub instead of maul proficiency, like a +1 to hit?

War Stomp: You gain war stomp as an encounter power.

War Stomp Tauren Racial Attack
Encounter
Standard Action Close Burst 1
Target: Each enemy in burst.
Attack:Strength vs. Fortitude
Effect: Target is stunned for one round.

Woah there. Stunned is a powerful condition in 4e. Dazed is also theme, and works better, IMO. You could also make it a minor action if it Dazes. Maybe also hits allies too.

Recommended classes: Cleric, Ranger, Druid?, Paladin (makes no sense, I know)

Fighter, ranger, cleric.

Remove ads