• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Tavern Brawler + Rope/Hook... reach grapple?

I thought the Kor race from the new MTG supplement was interesting with their use of ropes (i'm imagining something like Daredevil's billy clubs) and I'm wondering if using them as improvised weapons with Tavern Brawler would likely make them reach weapons with bonus action grapple? I know it's up to the DM, but is this possible within the rules in the first place?

Sacrosanct

Legend
The Kusarigama has always been one of my favorite weapons for decades, and does basically what you're trying to accomplish. Ultimately it does come down to a DM ruling. In our case, we do treat it as a ranged grapple with certain limitations. For example, you can only pull. So for example, if the weapon range is 15ft, I can attempt to grapple a creature within the size limitations up to 15ft away by making the appropriate check that replaces the normal attack roll.

Oofta

Legend
All things are possible given your DM's permission.

As far as the improvised weapon, the item you're using must be close enough to a normal weapon to count as that weapon. Normally that means using a table leg as a club or similar.

Tavern brawler just means you can swing a dead goblin more effectively as a weapon than you normally could.

But D&D is all about flexibility and what makes sense to the DM and will be fun.

Ahglock

First Post
If I were the GM sure. Sounds awesome. But this is a very DM dependent feat. What and how improvised weapons work will be different table to table.

Jediking

Explorer
Compare them to a whip, which I think is the closest weapon available from the PHB. I don't think many DMs would have an issue of someone making one attack with a whip count as a grapple rather than damage. Maybe a Thief's Fast Hands would let it use as a bonus action, but that's the blurry area.

Bardbarian

First Post
Nets are extremely useful for groups that work together. Most of our group has a net on hand for situations when they would rather give the whole group advantage and the enemy disadvantage. The trade off for an action is well worth it and if the enemy wants out they lose their action so it's a pretty fair tradeoff.

Unwise

Adventurer
As long as the grapple only allows you to pull and allows them to come towards you, that is fine. It basically makes it a handy tanking tool, I'd allow it as a DM.

What I do not want to see is grappling somebody 10' away then making it so they cannot melee attack you. That is vastly more powerful than grabbing somebody next to you.

Ahglock

First Post
I dont know. If the grappler was strong enough compared to the targets weight I'd let them do more than pull.

Keep the person from closing sure, not mechanically knocked prone as that would require a 2nd attack with a shove but once entangled I'd assume the grapple is keeping them at 0 movement by yanking them off balance whenever they attempt to move. This would be balanced by attacking the low hp rope can easily break the grapple. This would be my default no super strength needed.

But with high strength and or low weight opponents hell I'd let them swing them around. I'm not sure what mechanics I'd use for it off hand I'd probably consider it a dash action where the grappler doesn't move while the grappled enemy does.

Remove ads