• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Tavern Thread] The Dunn Wright Inn

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Merchant.jpg

Barton Ringling claps his hands twice and smiles at Qalabash.

"Excellent, excellent, sir. Working cheaply is good, I cannot afford to pay you much."

He gestures for the would be sorceress to join them, "Welcome, milady. Arcane arts could be useful indeed."

He gives a warm smile for Jericho and says, "Well met, Master Calivaire. Indeed, I am looking for someone that can help me transport something of value safely. Ha ha, and I am not just talking about my own backside. No sir, har har."

The man in the top hat has a hearty laugh and his cheer does not stop when the gnome offers up healing. "Well, I certainly hope we do not need a healer along, but you are still welcome just in case. If I thought there would be no chance of danger, I would not be looking for young heroes to help me."

Looking back at Qalabash, "Nothing to forgive, sir. Admiring beauty is only polite."

Turning to Trixie, he puts a gold coin one her tray and says, "Milady barmaid, we could use a carafe of wine at the table over there when you get a chance."

"Come my ladies and gentlemen. Let me offer you some wine as we converse at the table in the corner. My name is Barton Ringling and I have a little task I need some assistance with." He walks away from the bar towards a table with some privacy in the corner.

[Sblock=Recruitment]So far I have 5 (OpMaxBear, Rift, Trisk, GE and SK). I took a quick look at the latest posts using my phone in the character submissions thread and I don't see any more realistic possibilities. There are three listed on the Wiki as being in the DWI, but without ever RPing in the DWI they will be out of luck. Unless GE wants to level up Qalabash to 3rd to even out Grayn's adventure, I am ready to proceed with 5. Go ahead and post here: The Ringling Affair

OpMaxBear; If you take a look at what is different, you can see that you missing a header that includes your character's name and race and you have not included a picture. Also I tend to have my character's name the first word written in narration as a matter of form, but that is not always the case. Please use a differ color for dialog though, I cannot read that shade of blue on the black background (I have a color blindness type issue).

Other advice: Given that we are using an electronic medium, generally shorter paragraphs are better for ensuring everything is easier to read and avoiding that wall of text syndrome. I tend to use extra line spacing more liberally than most. Rift's paragraphs are too big and hard to read with the bold being used for dialog. With the black background, most of us do not bold speech like on other sites.[/Sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Grog, Half-Orc Retired Fighter (NPC)

~ At the bar ~

Bartender.jpg

Grog let's the rookie adventures go without ridicule and slides the two glasses that Qalabash and Jericho turned down towards Samad.

"Tis jus ya an' me, boyo. Ya gonna give it a try?"

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Pirvinia von Lichenstein, Human Female

~ At the bar ~

Pirvinia4_zpsd6ee1686.jpg

Pirvinia watches the man in the top hat lead some of the patrons away. She had seen that most had gear that looked quite ordinary. Not that she had much in the way of flashing weapons or armor herself. But she was not some inexperienced hayseed.

She placed some coins on the barmaid's tray and said in a melodic voice, "The stew smells delicious. I will take some over there at the bar." She gestures to a place at the bar next to the man being confronted by the half-orc bartender with several strong looking drinks. "And a glass of elven wine as well, if you don't mind."

Pirvinia sits on the other side of the patron (Samad) and has a playful smirk, "It looks like you two are playing chicken. Who's going to blink first?"

OOC: Pirvinia has her approvals and is all set.

Commander_Fallout

First Post
"هذه الروائح هي مثيرة للاشمئزاز," He said to Qalabash about the drink he suddenly found in front of him. He was almost tempted to try it when the man addressed the tavern. He muttered a quick prayer-of-thanks to Bashu for this man who saved him from this self-poisoning, before listening to what he had to say. He had just returned, and he had hoped to get some real rest, but, then again, who knows how long it would be when the next man with a job walked in? Besides, if Bashu had already sent him once, then surely it would be foolish not to see it as a sign...

But no, he was gone. Perhaps it was for the best after all.

[sblock=OOC]When speaking in "Southern" should I transliterate it to English, or leave it in Arabic? It's a lot easier for others to translate it directly to English from Arabic than it is to transliterate it from English to Arabic and then back to English.

Edit: sorry, I, heard that grayn was starting a new adventure for level 3s, saw perrin post one, and got the two mixed up. It's been a confusing week so far.[/sblock]

Last edited:

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Pirvinia von Lichenstein, Human Female

~ At the bar ~

Pirvinia4_zpsd6ee1686.jpg

Pirvinia watches the man rudely ignore her with an arched eyebrow as he walked away to chase after the man in the top hat.

She shakes her head as Grog turns his gaze on her, "Sorry, I think not."

Last edited:

perrinmiller

Adventurer
~ At the bar ~

Bartender.jpg

Grog takes the glasses back and pours three of them back into the jug and returns it under the bar. He downs the other without even a shiver or a retch.

He resumes cleaning out mugs with a little bit of spit and somewhat clean cloth to dry them.

GM: Frak.
I edited to reflect Fallot's editing since I cannot delete this post.

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
Qalabash Baram, human staff magus

Qalabash is relieved that he hasn't spoiled his chances at gainful employ with Master Ringling and bestows upon the man a broad grin as he begins to gather up his pack and the dark, redwood staff he had previously leaned against the bar near his seat.

"I am delighted, sir, and hope that we will quickly come to some accord that is beneficial for the both of us. With these others," he sweeps one arm wide to include everyone else standing nearby. "With these others, and Jericho's expertise to guide us, I am sure that we will be able to make whatever delivery you require of us."

As Qalabash begins to follow Barton Ringling over to the table he has reserved for his use he leans over to speak quietly and briefly with Samad.

[size=+1]"كنت المباركة بين الرجال"[/size]

. . . Qalabash Baram . . .

[sblock=OOC]Qalabash is supposed to be saying, "You are blessed among men." but I used a translator so I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Personally, I like to see different languages in non-Roman alphabets. And, as you say, it's easier to translate than the transliteration. Though to be really nice you could provide a translation and save everyone from having to do it themselves. :)[/sblock]

Commander_Fallout

First Post
He sat down again at the bar, before realizing that the woman had been talking to him. He shook his head, "I'm sorry, I was in my thoughts. What is this game of chickens?"
[sblock=OOC]Yeah, I'm really sorry about that. I think the worst part is that every time I think I've outgrown making silly mistakes like that, I always make a bunch more. :p

And yeah, I like to compare the use of alternate alphabets/languages to those times when the DM addresses a few players directly. Like he only tells the players who succeeded on a perception check what they saw, and then they're supposed to tell or not tell the rest of their party. In this same way, if a player or character speaks in a foreign alphabet, then only the characters who also speak that language should be allowed to translate it themselves, otherwise it should be explained to them.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads