[Tavern Thread] The Dunn Wright Inn

Aura

Explorer
Anna Kallira. . . . . . . . . . . . .Marla the Barmaid
[section]A young woman dressed in the priestly garb of the church of Cortesia steps into the main room from the back room, the door already open, perhaps from a previous exodus. It's unclear how long she's been back there, but judging from her ambling gait, and the fact she taps the floor with her staff about every other step, she doesn't seem in too much a rush to get anywhere quickly.

Seeing the priestess heading out for the night, the barmaid asks, "All done, Priestess Anna? Should I get things cleaned up in there?"

Anna turns about towards Marla and explains, "Well, mostly. We didn't get as many people as Anton had hoped for, but there is nothing to do for it, I suppose. He said we can supplement with a church guard or two if we have to, although he didn't seem too crazy about the idea, for whatever reason. He's something of a sphinx."

Marla smiles at the last comment, drawing her hair across her forehead in some sort of practiced ritual. "Well, hon, he keeps tipping like that and he can be as much of a sphinx as he wants." She peeks into the back room a moment, then continues, "Nobody went for his bowl of soup?"

Long, straight, blond hair gently waving, Anna shakes her head slowly, adding for emphasis, "No. Not a soul touched it. Had it not been for the fact my own bowl was rather large, I might have given it a go. The others retired early, with only the Amenthian monk staying long enough to finish up. In any case, thank you for your time, Marla." With that, the priestess turns to exit the Dunn Wright Inn as the barmaid bids her adieu.[/section]
[sblock=Recruitment for The Road to Tritower]Just talk to the priestess and I'll put you in the right place at the right time.[/sblock]
[sblock=Time Issues]As a clarification, I'm not too worried about 'now' in the DWI being the same as 'now' in the game thread.[/sblock]

Last edited:

FrancisJohn

Explorer
~Francis John III, Halfling~

Even though Grog the barkeep continues to roll his eyes at the nefarious antics of the quite inundated halfling, he lets him continue unabated his impression of a Tal Hallow gnome trying to make a glass troll out of a gemstone. Nearly laughing himself to pieces, he announces that his bladder simply cannot hold up any further without some necessary relief. Stumbling around the unfamiliar bar, he accidentally bumps into the woman with a staff, who seemed primed to leave. Tumbling to the ground, he quickly helps himself back up, and begins to playfully scold her.

"Hey now watch yourself! How could you not see me coming right here? My foot! Oh wait, that's right.... I'm just a halfling! But so you know, you are now forever indebted to me, Francis John III, halfling prince. The only true way to break your new-found bondage is join us over there for our celebration of all the small things, and big things too. I'll have Groggy over there fetch us some sugar-encrusted dolly-whoppers.... what say you?"

The halfling nearly topples over from the weight of his smile!

Last edited:

mfloyd3

Explorer
Iago watches the drunken halfling stagger into the priestess, bemused. This will end either with a job offer or the halfling getting thrown out on the street, the half-orc thinks.

OOC: Thanks for the warm welcome, all!

Aura

Explorer
Anna Kallira
With the sudden contact, Anna veers off-course and begins to topple in a rather clumsy way. Fortunately, she contacts an empty table and manages to get a hand on it before completely losing her balance, steadying herself. Brushing her long, straight locks from her eyes reveals a rather surprised expression on her face.

Meanwhile, several people across the bar can be heard taking in a sudden breath of air as they watch the collision.

It is not until Francis speaks that the young priestess seems to even realize he is there. With one hand still on the table for support, she sits in front of him, listening with a sense of amusement. When she does speak, it carries a sense of warmth that is at least somewhat offset by her apparent inability to make proper eye contact. In fact, it's more like she's looking through Francis, or perhaps behind him, as she speaks.

"Well," the blonde begins, "I'd love to stay and party, I really would. But, I'm traveling out of town early tomorrow, and we are without horse or cart, so it's going to be all walking. I'm gonna need all the rest I can get, sorry to say." Anna pauses a moment, as if to think, then continues, "If only we could have hired enough people, poor Galin could stay home. He's a family man, you know, and being away for a couple weeks will be hard on his wife. But, we just couldn't find more."

Using her staff for leverage, the priestess pushes herself back up to the standing position, as if preparing to retire. She tilts her head back, as if looking upward, "Hopefully tomorrow will have nice weather to start us out." She shifts topic abruptly, "So nice to have… errr… bumped into you, Francis the Halfling Prince. Perhaps we will meet again."

[sblock=Two Things]First, just let her know you wish to go with her on her trip and you're in The Road to Tritower.
Second, regardless of the first part, make a DC 15 Fort check. Either Invisible Castle or Coyotecode die roller will be fine. It'll be the first die toss of your career, start it off on a good foot. :)[/sblock]

FrancisJohn

Explorer

The halfling is surely infatuated with the niceties of the unseeing stranger. He now faces a choice of choices! He looks at the priestess, then turns back towards the bar. It is clear to those watching that in his current state, this decision appears quite difficult.

Time for a thinksie! So we have adventurous travels with mystery woman, or we stay with Groggy and Robert, who seem like fine folk, and the uncharitable Charity. Those dolly-whoppers sure would have been nice. Then we have this lady who is easy on the eyes, but can't use her own apparently... that is a bit funny now isn't it. Reminds me off that one blind mackeral back down in the Roughy. Couldn't even find his own dinner! Focus, focus, focus! Decision time...

The curious halfling gives himself a playful slap in the face, to wake himself up from his thoughts. "Ma'am, you've never even told me your name! But if you do, you will have the esteemed privilege of my company for your journey. Pardon me while give my adieus."

Francis staggers back towards new friends, and bids them farewell. The halfling generously settles with Grog. "Remember guys, we are now friends forever. Even you sweet Charity." He walks back over to the priestess, and offers his hand to walk her to her next destination. "So where are we to be going?"

[sblock=Fortitude Roll]14 I would like to use my adaptable halfling luck trait (first of the day) to increase this to the necessary 15. Also, I don't know the proper way to share dice rolls.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Aura

Explorer
Anna Kallira
The priestess nods and introduces herself, "My name is Anna Kallira, and I'm a junior priestess in service of the Goddess Cortesia." Continuing with the subject at hand, Anna elaborates, "However, we're not leaving Venza tonight, but rather tomorrow morning. I just need to get some rest, as I am already exhausted from the day. Still, if you'd like to travel with us tomorrow, meet me at the Sugar and Spice bakery in Báyanmaliít tomorrow morning. It's on the main street through the district, I forget the name but you can't miss it."

Anna turns towards the door, tapping the floor with her staff, then adds as an afterthought, "Oh, and you'd best not wait inside the bakery to see us--you'll understand when you get there." She flashes an impish grin before heading out into the night.

[sblock=The Road to Tritower]Look for the game thread of this name under the heading 'Playing the Game'. Very shortly the group will arrive at the bakery described. At that point, feel free to greet Anna/introduce yourself to the others.

Background: Báyanmaliít is the gnomish district of Venza, and is also a popular place to live for halflings, so it's fully plausible you already know where it is, or, at least, can find it with little or no effort.

Wrapping up here: However works for you, since you're not having to directly follow the priestess out. If you finish the second drink from Grog's home-brew you'll need another Fort save. It's no better than the first. :)[/sblock]

FrancisJohn

Explorer
Francis walks Anna to the door and waves goodbye, although that is most likely a futile gesture.

Báyanmaliít eh? I have some lady friends in that part of town. They will surely let me crash for the night on the couch I suppose. Well maybe not all of them. Especially not Glenda. Anywho, good thing I passed on the second round of the Grog's cough syrup, that could take the paint off anything!

Francis internally says farewell to the Dunnwright, and walks off into the city under the illumination of the glasslamps. The nearby canals glisten under the shared light of the globes and moon. Without much trouble, he finds shelter for the night.

Last edited:

mfloyd3

Explorer
Iago eyes the seat left vacant by the departing halfling. The red-haired woman and her bearded companion both have the look of adventurers about them. The half-orc has been away from Venza for some time, and things may have changed. Perhaps these two can tell him something of the current job market.

He strides over to the table, mead in hand. "Excuse me," he offers, cultured tones belying his rough, orcish features. "May I join you?" The pair look up to find a half-orc of medium build smiling politely at them. He is a physically unimposing specimen, but he is draped with weapons and bizarre alchemical gear.

OOC: Tag Lindeloef and Aura

[sblock=Iago stat block]
Iago
Initiative: +2
AC: 17 (15 flat-footed, 12 Touch)
HP: 42 Current: 42
CMB: +5 CMD: 17
Fort: +6 Reflex: +6 Will: +1;
PER Roll: +8/+10 (bonus for searching for objects or judging spoiled food)
Current Weapon in Hand: Longbow

Extracts prepared:
Level 1: Shield, Shield, Identify, Expeditious Retreat, *unassigned*
Level 2: Bull’s Strength, Alchemical Allocation, Alchemical Allocation

Mutagen prepared:
Strength: +2 Natural Armor Bonus, +4 STR, -2 INT

Weapons:
+1 Falchion: Attack: +6 = [BAB(3) + STR(2) + Misc(0) + Magic(1)]
Damage: 2d4+4, S, Crit: 18-20/x2

Bomb: Attack: +6* = [BAB(3) + DEX(2) + Misc(1**) + Magic(0)]
Damage: 3d6+5.5*, Fire, Crit: 20/x2 (only 1d6 multiplied); Rng: 20'
Special: Make 8 bombs/day