[Tavern Thread] The Dunn Wright Inn

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Melisande, Paladin

Melisande%20Avatar_zpslnotfw6i.jpg

A tall woman, very tall at over 6 feet, with dark brown hair entered the tavern. She was wearing the tabard of those that served in the Chapter House of Helerion. Considering the troubles the paladins of the order have had as of late, she might just be a new one to arrive in the city to help out. She certainly did not carry herself like some recruit.

She was striking in appearance and had the beauty of those with angel's blood in their veins. Her expression was serene as she made her way to the bar. She was not heavy armored, only wearing a finely crafted chainshirt under her tabard. But there was a pair of falchions in scabbards with the hilts protruding over either shoulder.

Aradra could overhear her ask Grog about any adventurers known to have thwarted the demon activity at Cutheleon.

[sblock=Mini Stats]Melisande
Initiative: +1 Perception: +15 (Darkvision)
AC: 28 (27 flat-footed, 13 Touch) - Currently 18 with Chainshirt
HP: 159 (DR3/-) Current: 159
CMB: +20 CMD: 33(32ff) (+2 vs Sunder/Disarm) Fort: +18 Reflex: +11 Will: +14
Special: Immune to Fear, Disease, Charm
Current Conditions in Effect: Power Attack (-4Att/+8(12)dmg), Jingasa Luck (1xday, Immediate neg Critical/Sneak Attack), Aura of Good/Courage/Resolve
Current Weapon in Hand: None

Lay on Hands (6d6): 13/13 Remaining
Smite Evil (5x/day, +4 Att, +17 dmg, +4 Deflect AC): 5/5 Remaining
Alter Self: 1/1 Remaining
Divine Bond (+3): 3/3 Remaining
Spells Remaining:
1st Level 4/4+2 Pearls (Protection from Evil, Hero's Defiance, Bless, Divine Favor)
2nd Level 3/3+1 Pearl (Effortless Armor, Blade Tutor's Spirit, Righteous Vigor)
3rd Level 2/2 (Greater Magic Weapon, Greater Magic Weapon)
4th Level 1/1 (Resounding Blows)[/sblock]

Last edited:

Aura

Explorer
Grog the Bartender
The big orc-blooded man behind the bar nodded as he listened to the tall warrior of Helerion. He shrugged unknowingly, "Not know, but dat guy dere might. He went fer a party, but look like he been in a war." Grog pointed out the most experienced looking of a small group settled around a table engaged in conversation. "Be taking a drink wit ya?" he adds.

grumblyarcher

First Post
Asch cleared his throat and set about wrapping his weapons back up as new faces started to arrive. He was not typically one for such antics without getting to know his audience first. Feigning a touch of humbleness he adjusted his tunic a bit and returned to his seat and his cooling meal.

"Would you give us reason to turn you away?" He probed slightly, curious about this battered newcomer as well. There were plenty of open places to sit along the bar, even with his new friends and him taking up a chunk of it. The fellow must be looking for some kind of company.

"Aschwin Shrike," he said, extending a hand to what appeared to be a fellow archer. It was not a weapon some would consider glorious or honorable but the elf could feel a certain kinship with another archer regardless of race. He paused at the sight of the lady warrior as well, a rather fearsome sight for all her beauty. Self-preservation warned him once again about angering the ladies in this tavern.

jackslate45

First Post
[section]

The man nodded to Charity, and took one of the free seats. He smiled at Aschwin's joke, and responds with "I can think of one reason, yes. You are sitting in my normal spot."

The man reaches his own hand out to shake Aschwin's hand. "Aradra Longstrider. I am guessing this is your first time in Venza?" While it was hard to place Aschwin's age, Aradra could not miss the inexperience in his eyes. He takes a sip on his whiskey, savoring the taste while he waited for the 3rd member to introduce himself.

At this point, the door creaked open and in walked the woman with the Chapter house of Helerion tabard. Aradra eyes narrowed, watching the woman go up to Grog and ask about those that had helped in Cutheleon. With Grog's response, Aradra realized he had no where to run. With a small sigh Aradra turned to the table "I apologize, I do believe that woman might be looking for me. It seems my last job is not over yet. Next time the drinks are on me." He stands up, taking his drink with him, and approaches the new woman, and says "I was at Cutheleon, and assisted in the strike team that Kutholiam lead. " Aradra took another sip, wondering what was still needed from the Order.
[/section]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Melisande, Paladin

Bartender.jpg

Melisande had been in the tavern a few times and Grog was quite aware of who and more importantly what she was. The grizzled retired warrior rather liked the paladins of Helerion when they were not showing up with sticks up their arses and being too self-righteous in his establishment. The older and more experienced ones were some of his more pleasant customers actually.

After noting the man Grog pointed out, Melisande gave the half-orc a polite smile, "Some elven wine if you please, Master Grog."

The half-orc grunted at the too polite honorific, "Jus Grog, m'lady. I dun fookin' tol ya dat every time ya cum in har."

"Yes, of course." It was starting to be a game that the pair were playing now for the last week. Grog popped the cork on the that offensive (to him) smelling red wine that many of his customers were so found of. He poured it into a goblet and set it on the bar's counter. He even resisted the urge to spit in it. "Ya shud be tryin' da ork piss instead o' dat sheet," he grumbled.

"Thank you," Melisande said smiling indulgently as she paid, still not responding to his beverage recommendation that he made every time she ordered the wine.

Melisande sat on the stool as the man Grog pointed out approached her, turning to face him. She inclined her head in a slight bow and gestured to the empty stool next to her.

"Good afternoon. I am Melisande." She did not state the obvious about Helerion, nor even hinted at her standing in the Order. "Please sit, if you would."

HP: 159 (DR3/-) Current: 159
Current Conditions in Effect: Power Attack (-4Att/+8(12)dmg), Jingasa Luck (1xday, Immediate neg Critical/Sneak Attack), Aura of Good/Courage/Resolve

Spells Remaining:
1st Level 4/4+2 Pearls (Protection from Evil, Hero's Defiance, Bless, Divine Favor)
4th Level 1/1 (Resounding Blows)[/sblock] [sblock=OOC]Heh, I appreciate you running Grog for me, Aura. But seeing as Grog was my NPC, and he and I go back about 5 years it was not really necessary. I was just planning to use him as a prop. :p But he is a fun prop. :) He needs to be a bit more surly and colorful in his dialog.[/sblock]

jackslate45

First Post
[section]

"Aradra Longstrider. " Aradra said, returning her bow with a nod of his own. He takes the indicated seat, taking another sip before placing his own drink on the counter. He turns his body to face Melisande, and tries to think of a few questions for her. However, the last time he "talked" to someone of the order other than Kutholiam, Aradra had yelled at the head general trying to stage a counter attack.. Not his brightest moment. However, if this new arrival was asking about the rest of us, I wonder if she knows the full details of what happened?

More than anything, Aradra wanted to know why someone from the Order still wanted to talk to any of them, so Aradra took the lead and asked Melisandra "I am curious why you are here. I figured we did not make any friends back in Cutheleon, given how most of the strike team acted back there. I would have guessed that they did not want to deal with any of us again."
[/section]

Aura

Explorer
Charity, Human Female
"Hunh, important things," Charity observes in all seriousness as the member of the order of Helerion pulls Aradra away for a spell. She twirls her hair around her finger, biting her lower lip for a moment, before continuing. Lowering her tone so as not to interrupt the other conversation, she explains to Aschwin and, to a lesser degree, Qalabash, "There exists an 'old guard', if you will, in the adventuring community here in Venza. I saw most of them together one night. I didn't know his name at the time, but Aradra was with them. He doesn't draw attention like the boisterous warrior or the smelly elf, but if he runs with them, I'm sure he's worth his bow."

The woman looks into her beer, and pushes it into the center of the table. She continues, "I'm not sure how much you were here for, Qalabash, it was quite an event and I saw the whole thing. Some sort of invitation to a party for an important official. Eventually, they all decided upon going, although some took more encouragement than others. And then... nothing. I got a short job lasting a little over a day, and each time I came back here, they were still gone. Nobody talked about it as weeks stretched into months. It was a completely weird feeling."

Another momentary pause, and Charity quickly adds, "Aradra's here, now. It must be okay." However, somewhere, she's stopped making eye contact with either of her new companions, unlike every other time she's spoken. Instead, she stares into the space between them.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Melisande, Paladin

Melisande tilted her head to the side, a curious expression on her face.

“My presence in this city and this tavern have nothing to do with Cutheleon.”

“I am here in Venza because Helerion asked that I come, because my presence alone was needed to provide guidance to the struggling Chapter House here. However, I am a champion of the Order and I go where there is great evil that needs to be stopped.”

“Of the events at Cutheleon, what happened there I cannot say. I have only heard rumors.”

“I was not in attendance because I was elsewhere doing what was asked of me. However, the knights in training mentioned a group of adventurers were asked to go to Cutheleon and then they heard things…”

“I guess things had not gone as expected?”
She asked with genuine concern, not judgment.

HP: 158 (DR3/-) Current: 158

Spells Remaining:
4th Level 1/1 (Resounding Blows)[/sblock]

jackslate45

First Post
[section]

"You can say that, yes." Aradra turns and looks at his drink, remembering what happened there. He took a large sip from his glass before turning back to Melisande. He paused only slightly before continuing in a hushed voice "I will tell you what I saw, but I have no real understanding of what happened. 5 members of the team were far smarter than I ever am, and seemed to understand what Kutholiam was telling them. I did understood however the gravity of what would happen if we failed. I have one request before hand."

Aradra turns slightly in his chair to the other table, where the newcomers were sitting, before turning back to Melisande and continuing "I wish to move this to a quiet room. What I will say is still rumor for the most part, and while some of our team would boast about what happened, I do not think the same. Given the events that transpired, and Kutholiam informing us of ancient rites that are Helerion's secrets, I would ensure to keep those rumors rumors."

[/section]

grumblyarcher

First Post
"Sounds serious, whatever it is," Asch mentioned and turned away to give the two their privacy. The mood had fallen, it seemed. He picked at his stew and glanced over at Qalabash, seeking a method to rally their spirits, "How about a story then? Best way to get to know folk is to hear them tell their most embarrassing story. If the two of you can come up with a good one each, I'll tell you of the first time I met an ogre, that should be good."

He gave the two his best disarming smile and waited to see if they took the bait. His ogre story was perhaps the best he had under his belt for this sort of thing. Thanks to the fact that he was an elf, to his eternal chagrin, his adolescence had been much longer than his brothers'. The universal truth that adolescent boys would get into terrible trouble and mortifying situations held true for each year of that time too.

Remove ads