• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Teaching New Players

How many players have you introduced to D&D within the last year?

Votes: 39 44.3%

Votes: 19 21.6%

Votes: 11 12.5%

Votes: 5 5.7%

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • 5-10

Votes: 10 11.4%
  • 10+

Votes: 0 0.0%

mara

First Post
I've been reading a lot of threads the discuss ways to keep the game alive. Getting new players into the game is an obvious hurdle to expanding the hobby, so I'm curious as to how people address that in their groups. How many players have you personally introduced to D&D within the last year and how did that work out?

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
One year is a pretty narrow time frame.

In the last 15 years I have probably introduced about 10, and gotten 2 to stick with it long term.

That may not sound like a lot, but if we all went out and trippled our numbers,it would be a big change.

BlackMoria

First Post
Since 1974, when I started D&D, I have introduced 117 people who have never played the game to the game. And I don't go to conventions, so that number isn't being padded by one time only games.

Blackwind

Explorer
4 new players within the last year. Since I started 13 years ago? A total of 15 that I can remember. I don't go to cons, so these are all friends that I invited to join my campaign and who stuck with it for a significant length of time (or are still playing). That number would be higher if it included lapsed 1E players that I've brought back into the hobby and instructed in the ways of 3.x.

I've never understood the people who worry about finding players for whatever edition or game they play. I don't actively recruit 'gamers' for my games. I take my friends and turn them into gamers.

Dragon Snack

First Post
One in the last year. It was more of a reintroduction though, since he had played about 10 years ago. Quite honestly, it's NOT MY JOB to introduce people to D&D. You're better off just introducing people to RPGs, then helping them choose their own, if you want to "grow the hobby".

That said, I also helped introduce another person to RPGs (Savage Worlds specifically) and I've helped introduce people to Tabletop Miniature Games (Reaper's Warlord specifically, but that actually was my job at Gen Con - so who knows how many).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads