• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Teamspeak

Kareyev

First Post
Anyone who has spent any time traveling with others has experienced that moment where they see danger, but are unable to type a warning fast enough to save the day. Several other group I know of use various VOIP tools to get around this.

Today I ordered a new computer and have plans to convert my old computer into a teamspeak server for EN. Having this setup and in place is probably still about a month away as the computer is being used for other things at the moment, but I wanted to throw the idea out there to see if there is interest in having this available and in case someone is aware of a better way to go about it.

I have no experience doing anything like this so you will have to bear with me as I work through it. For those interested in learning more about Teamspeak see the link below.

http://www.goteamspeak.com/news.php

Vaslov

Last edited:

kotik2

First Post
Woo Hoo!

I thought about trying this, but when my stepson is here, all my router ports are full. But I have no idea how to get it done. I had been thinking about trying to find out how much a hosted one somewhere would cost as well, because it occured to me that it would need to be running basically 24/7 and that seemed a bit much to have going on in someone's house. I will go ahead and look into the costs of a hosted one, just to have the information...

barbarex

First Post
Hosting a teamspeak server would not use up much bandwidth, however just be sure that you do have a fast internet connection and a stable network (preferrably Cat5 cabling) and a router that can handle bandwidth sharing (unlike the one i have at my house where if my little brother decides to download something on his computer it gives him all the internet bandwidth :p).

Also consider installing linux on the teamspeak server and using the Linux client that is availiable for it as windows will considerably slow the server down with all its unecessary rubbish running in the background.

If you need any help I am sure keiro could probably help you out, otherwise i am always online if you need to ask the computer geek any questions. That is of coarse that you are not a computer geek aswell vas! :)

Jeanu

First Post
I have (had) a Team Speak hosted account. It may still be active, if not I'ld be willing to re-activate it if the interest is there for it. I got it with guild wars actually. :) This would allow for more bandwith, and less hassile for everyone to deal with. In setting up a seperate computer and such.

Let me know on this and I'ld be glad to do it.

kotik2

First Post
Well, due to some RL issues, and the lack of us being on line at the moment, Jeanu has moved on guildwise.

How many users do we think we would want to be able to accomodate? All of the hosting places charge a nominal fee per user. I'm torn between the notion of just the guild, and having enough user space that we could offer the option to some of our regular out of guild group mates, and maybe even have enough space for a MC run, so a minimum of 40, more likely more so we don't have to kick people off when we are running a large raid.

Sigh, rambly there are the end, but I think you'll get my meaning. Let me know what folks think...

Kassia

First Post
Jeanu moved on because they wouldn't stop harrassing him both RL and In Game. It's drama between me and Crims cause I told him where he could go for telling me to put Kris on a leash.

Onto the actual topic..
I think we should be able to accomodate the guild and friends in nobilityunion. I would think about 15-20, with no lag/problems at any given time.

kotik2

First Post
I knew Jeanu was getting hassled, and totally understand his reasons for going. It's a shame that folks behave like the ones mistreating him do. As for Crims, he got what was coming to him, and got irritated about it. I'd look for him to tell him that, but he's always stuck playing Jerlan these days, the way Aurah is around but Taley isn't. :]

Unless someone speaks up and says that 40 ish is too few, I'll go in that range. I'd rather err on the side of too many than have people not able to use it.

Remove ads